if

The World Through Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
if

 

 

The commencement of Ghost Month altered something in the air which kept everyone on edge. There was also a significant increase in random attacks but thankfully they were from minor spirits that were easily dealt with. With the talisman written with the Cinnabar, Jongdae and Baekhyun had managed to spend the days in relative peace. That was especially the case of Jongdae since he could not see the streets of their neighbourhood becoming busier and busier with spirits visiting due to the weakened barriers between the world of the living and the dead.

 

Preparations for the Ghost Festival proceeded at full speed. Chinsun went over every detail again and again, making sure that they had covered all of their bases. Nonetheless, when the actual day arrived, no one felt fully prepared for what was to come. How could they? After all, no one actually knew for certain that Kim Sungil would be attacking on that day. What if they had poured all their energy focusing so much on the Ghost Festival only for Kim Sungil to attack the next day? Or the one after? Or the week after?

 

The myriad of questions and thoughts swirling in Chinsun's brain reflected the typhoon weather outside. Overwhelmed by her own thoughts, Chinsun failed to notice Jongin’s presence right beside her. Giving her one glance, Jongin knew immediately that she was trapping herself in her endless worries and thus placed his hands on the nape of her neck and firmly pressed his fingers against her pressure points, jolting the girl back to reality.

 

Chinsun snapped her head to the side, glaring at the culprit only to find Jongin staring down at her with complete nonchalance.

 

“Stop thinking so much or your tiny brain will explode.”

 

Nostrils flaring, Chinsun scrunched her face and was ready to retaliate only to have all her anxiety melt away when she felt Jongin’s hands still on her nape, only this time his fingers were moving in circular motions, giving her a much needed massage. With her lids draping over her eyes, Chinsun’s expression relaxed.

 

“You’re actually more worried and stressed than I am aren’t you?” Staring at Jongin with hooded eyes, Chinsun poked him in the chest. “Just admit it.”

 

Jongin remained silent and maintained his blank expression. Blinking rapidly, he tried hide whatever emotion was lurking in his eyes that may give away what he was truly thinking. Unfortunately for him, that did not go unnoticed by Chinsun who smiled to herself in satisfaction.

 

“Come on then. Less slacking and more working. Aunt Kwon and Uncle Kim are waiting for us.”

 

Clapping her hands loudly, Chinsun quickened her steps, ready to brave the storm outside. Jongin rubbed a hand over his tired face before grabbing a raincoat and throwing it over Chinsun, covering her face and preventing her from seeing where she was going.

 

“Yah!” Chinsun exclaimed, punching her fists forward only to hit nothing but air.

 

Witnessing her actions, Jongin let out a low chuckle that rumbled from his chest. Soon the two of them left the comfort of Naesae, exposing themselves to the rain droplets that hit them like bullets.

 

Jongdae stared at Chinsun and Jongin’s retreating figures from the window of the funeral home, his eyebrows etched together in a frown that contrasted with his usual cheerful and carefree smile. Behind him, Mama Kim wore a similar expression, though her eyes travelled much further into the distance, her mind wandering towards Heechul and Boa who were already at the location for the ritual.

 

“They’ll be fine.” Sehun’s husky voice broke the mother and son from their trance. “They’ll come back and then we’ll be celebrating with delicious food.”

 

Jongdae and Mama Kim turned towards Sehun, searching his eyes for lies and hesitation but finding none of that. Inhaling deeply, Jongdae closed his eyes and reconfigured his thoughts before slapping his own cheeks. Opening his eyes, Jongdae’s signature feline smile graced his face.

 

“They’ll be fine,” Jongdae echoed Sehun’s words. “Rather, they have to. I still need to beat Jongin at Mario Kart.”

 

A tender smile spread out on Mama Kim’s face, her eyes curling into the shape of crescent moons that highlighted the wrinkles at the corner of her eyes.

 

Feeling relieved that he had managed to lift their mood, Sehun turned his body away and stared at the ground, temporarily removing the brave façade he had put on. More than anything, Sehun wished to be out in the storm now so that he could fight next to Chinsun, Jongin and the rest. However Chinsun and Jongin had trusted him with guarding Jongdae and Mama Kim, and he was going to do just that.

 

“I’ll do my job properly,” Sehun whispered under his breath. “So you guys better not mess up.”

 

・・・

 

The Ghost Festival service requested by the local authorities was to take place in a cave next to the beach.  The beach itself was in a popular tourist area but for today it was closed off to anyone not associated with Kim Funeral Home. That was not a big deal though due to it being typhoon season. Inside that cave was enshrined a driftwood resembling the shape of a Buddha. It was done by locals hundreds of years ago and was said to serve as the guardian between the world of the living and the dead, and the cave it resided in was the tunnel that allowed entrance to the spirits during the Ghost Festival.

 

Normally the cave was rather desolate, with just a monk from the nearby temple coming by to light a candle and incense once a week. Currently however, there were countless candles lined up along the walls of the cave, talismans and bells decorating the place. There were also small mountains of salt spread out around the cave, specifically by the entrance of the cave where Mark stood on guard. Stocked up on holy water and crucifix, the golden haired male dressed in his priest clothing was to assist Heechul and Boa in case things got nasty.

 

Boa was sat on the ground to the left of the enshrined driftwood with the gayageum laid out on her lap. Her hair was tied back in a sleek low bun and she was wearing a traditional hanbok with a purple outer layer and red sash wrapped around her waist. Heechul stood a few feet away from the enshrined driftwood and also wore a traditional purple hanbok with red

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter