guard

The World Through Your Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
guard

 

 

Sitting behind the counter like always, Chinsun rested her chin in her palm as she dazed at nothing in particular. It had been a few days since the incident with Baekhyun and the cheonyeo gwishin that tried to attack Jongdae. Fortunately Jongdae remembered nothing when he woke up, and somehow believed the ridiculous story about him tripping and fainting because he bumped his head that Jongin had concocted. Chinsun sometimes wondered whether Jongdae was just incredibly gullible or he simply did not want to bother with pointless details. Either way, that was how the older male had managed to remain oblivious to the spiritual side of the world that was ironically so deeply embedded in his everyday life.

 

However, the issue remained that a book that should have been locked away safely in the archive had somehow been placed in the normal section, and worst of all an evil spirit who was yet to be identified had been released. Also, what were they going to do about Baekhyun? After doing some research, Chinsun failed to find anything that could undo what had been done to him. There was no way he was going to survive on his own, especially in Jeju that has wandering spirits all the time.

 

“Penny for your thoughts?”

 

Snapping her head up, Chinsun gasped in surprise to find Baekhyun standing right in front of her. She had been so lost in her thoughts that she had not realised he had entered. Chinsun mentally scolded herself for her carelessness. As the guardian of the bookshop and everything that resided in it, it would be catastrophic if she had allowed an unwelcome intruder in.

 

“Have you been sleeping at all?” Chinsun frowned, noticing the dark eye circles forming on Baekhyun’s otherwise smooth skim.

 

“Not really,” Baekhyun replied sheepishly while rubbing his neck. “I’m still trying to get used to seeing random spirits popping out of nowhere. It’s only my left eye that has the ‘sight’ so if I cover it the spirits disappear. But…”

 

“But you can still hear them and feel their presence,” Chinsun hummed in understanding.

 

“You and Jongin have it tough.”

 

“We’re used to it.” Chinsun smiled gently. “Sit down, I’ll pour you a cup of tea.”

 

Baekhyun gladly accepted the offer and welcomed the warm chamomile tea, enjoying its floral scent that soothed his nerves. It was exactly what he needed. Then Baekhyun found his eyes wandering towards Chinsun, the curiosity he felt towards her only deepening.

 

“I heard from Jongdae that Jongin went on a business trip,” Baekhyun said carefully. “I’m assuming that it’s related to exorcism?”

 

“Yes.” Chinsun nodded, wrapping her fingers around her teacup. “He received a request to assist in a mass exorcism by the North Korean border.”

 

“He what?” Baekhyun gawked. “That sounds dangerous. No wonder he has so many scars on his body.”

 

Something in Chinsun’s eyes shifted, and a dark veil of poignancy drifted over her. Baekhyun felt himself panicking, wondering whether he had misspoken. Chinsun however recovered almost immediately and her usual serene gaze returned.

 

“It’s a job where you must be willing to put your life at risk,” Chinsun whispered softly. “That’s why Jongin refuses to let Jongdae know, and Mama Kim agrees. As his mother and someone who chose to step into our world, Mama Kim probably has the most say in this huh?”

 

Baekhyun clenched his fists for he did not have an answer for the question. Surely Jongdae had a right to know since his loved ones were involved, and in a sense it could be argued that it was birthright. However Baekhyun also understood why Jongin was against it; he probably believed that it was far better for Jongdae to live a life of ignorant bliss and oblivion rather than in fear of knowing the existence of danger but not being able to see it.

 

“Last time Jongin said that you’re not really an exorcist?” Baekhyun questioned in the hopes of diverting the direction of the conversation.

 

“Depends on how you prescribe the label. I don’t quite agree with violent means, but that is usually the method preferred by exorcists,” Chinsun answered honestly. “I’m more about open communication and acceptance. In that sense, I do not consider myself an exorcist.”

 

“So you silently safeguard this old bookshop while in search of the truth and goodness that resides in both worlds.” Baekhyun smiled. “You truly live up to your name.”

 

“Huh?” Chinsun stared at him in surprise.

 

“Truth and goodness, that’s what your name means right?” Baekhyun chuckled. “Your parents named you very well.”

 

her lips, Chinsun’s mouth curled into a shy smile and a wistful expression graced her face.

 

“Jongin used ridicule me, saying that I tried too hard to live up to my name.”

 

“That’s just who you are though,” Baekhyun stated without missing a beat. “You bear immense love and care for all those around you — whether human or spirit — and consequently aim to find bal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter