Aquarius

The War in our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Aquarius

- The Water-Bearer -

 

Two days later, Baekhyun and Soomi finally went on their honeymoon. They agreed to keep their destination a secret and ordered the royal guard to accompany them. Soomi didn’t know the exact location of the mansion where they would stay, but it was somewhere on the coast of Lux, and she looked forward to seeing the ocean with her own eyes. The group left at the break of dawn when the town streets were relatively empty. Soomi had been dolled up for the occasion by Lisa, but she would have preferred to wear a comfortable dress for the long journey ahead.

Baekhyun and Soomi stayed in the carriage until they left the capital behind. Then, they switched to horseback. The knights had brought two horses for them, and Soomi was ecstatic to spend the day riding freely through the beautiful nature of Lux. She mounted her chestnut horse, spurring it to a quick trot, and later started to gallop. They moved north towards the coast, occasionally taking breaks when it was necessary.

It was late evening when they arrived, and Soomi was tired, so she went to bed soon. It had been an exhausting day, but she couldn’t wait to explore the area tomorrow. Their small estate was a few kilometers away from the next village, ensuring their privacy during their stay. The mansion itself was painted white, and its two towers were a sight to behold. It had been built on a hill and offered a majestic view over the beach and the sea. The property contained a spacious garden as well as a stable for the horses. Soomi couldn’t have imagined a more beautiful place to spend their honeymoon.

The following morning, the servants prepared breakfast for the couple on the balcony overlooking the beach, and Soomi’s jaw dropped when she saw the incredible view for the first time. She stood at the railing and couldn’t take her eyes off the deep blue ocean. The calming sound of the waves and the cries of seagulls reached her ears. Sunlight was reflected on the water's surface, glittering magically. She had never seen anything quite like this and couldn’t stop gaping.

“That’s not very ladylike,” Baekhyun commented, smirking at her.

“You can’t deny that the view is gorgeous,” she defended herself before she sat at the table with him.

“Indeed. Do you want to go to the beach later?”

“You don’t need to ask,” she beamed, happier than ever. “I love this place!”

“You haven’t seen all that much of Lux yet,” Baekhyun mentioned, picking up his teacup to take a sip while he watched her. She really tried to keep her attention focused on him but got distracted by the vast ocean below them. It drew her in like a magnet, her eyes sparkling in childlike wonder.

“I haven’t. And even in Caelum, I mostly stayed in the castle. My father was cautious and protective of me. Taehyung had it easier; he was allowed to roam outside.”

“Then we should go outside more often once we’re back in the capital, seeing how much you’re enjoying this.” Baekhyun hadn’t thought it possible, but her smile brightened even more.

“Yes, I would love that!” She ate breakfast at record speed, impatiently waiting for Baekhyun to finish his tea so they could head to the beach.

 

 

Later in the day, Soomi got to take a closer look at the area surrounding the estate. She wore a light dress suited to the warm weather and left her tiara in her chambers. Baekhyun also opted to wear more comfortable clothes consisting of a loose white shirt tugged into his black pants with his sword attached to the belt. Soomi wasn’t surprised he brought it along even here, where they were supposed to be safe. He never took chances and was always prepared for the worst. It undoubtedly was a habit he had developed during the war, and it made Soomi wonder how severely the constant fights had affected him. 

The couple crossed a large meadow, the tall grass reaching up to Soomi’s knees. Moving past it with her long dress was a challenge. When the fabric got tangled, she stumbled and laughed sheepishly. Baekhyun seemed surprised by her clumsiness, but his astonishment faded when he noticed her predicament. His lips twitched, but he hid his amusement, offering her his arm for help. She linked it with hers, offering him a thankful smile.

“This is more difficult than I thought,” she said, the fabric of her dress rustling as it got caught again. It would probably have holes later, but Soomi could care less about that. She wanted to see the ocean up close, and no dress would keep her away.

“If I had known that dresses are this annoying, we could have taken horses instead of walking,” Baekhyun snorted.

“Shouldn’t you be aware of this as a prince?”

“Princes don’t wear dresses,” he retorted sarcastically, prompting her to laugh. He looked appalled at the idea, raising his eyebrows when she couldn’t hold her giggles.

“I know that! I just thought you… uh… have seen women struggling with their dresses before?”

The closer they got to the ocean, the more the wind picked up. Soomi took a deep breath and enjoyed the fresh sea air, noting that it tasted salty.

“I usually don’t go hiking with noblewomen,” Baekhyun answered. Again, he sounded amused at her question, his voice warming.

“Y-You don’t?” she asked in disbelief, her eyes wide.

He chuckled. “Of course not! Why should I? They would nag all the time… and I’m sure they would run away as soon as they see a bug flying by.”

“If you normally avoid it, then why are we doing it right now?”

The innocent question caused him to falter, his eyes widening a fraction. Silence fell over them as he thought of an answer, but he couldn’t find one. His hold on her arm loosened as he pondered over it, recalling the joyful smile on her lips when they had been on the balcony earlier. She hardly showed such genuine emotions in the confinement of the castle walls, where she was bound by strict rules and under the constant watch of the nobles.

Baekhyun hadn’t realized it until now, but Soomi carried a heavy burden as well. Initially, he had believed her to be a vain and boring person, but now he knew this was not the case. She was kind, perhaps a little shy and naïve, but not arrogant and not selfish either. Soomi must have felt insecure and lonely during her stay in Lux, poorly treated by those around her with nobody to depend on. She was like a withering flower—the longer she stayed in Lux’s castle, the more of her happiness and confidence was lost. There had been moments when he had seen her smile, but they were rare.

Baekhyun wanted to slap himself for being cold to her and for letting his frustrations out on her. Her arrival and initial stay in Lux must have been particularly difficult for her. He had acted like a jerk towards her even though she tried to get along with him. What had he been thinking?

The war had never been Soomi’s fault, of course not. She never even set foot on a battlefield before. He had needed a way to let his pent-up anger at Caelum out and ended up directing it at her. It had been unfair of him. She had sacrificed her freedom to end the war, but he had merely seen her as a sheltered and egoistic princess who couldn’t care less about his kingdom. He had put her down at every chance he got and never stood by her side when she needed someone to lean on.

Gritting his teeth, his frustrated ga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter