Phoenix

The War in our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Phoenix

- The Firebird-

 

“You are to marry the son of King Byun.”

Those words would change Soomi’s life forever. The young princess stood in the throne room before the King, her father. The majestic hall was decorated with glittering chandeliers and beautiful paintings of former rulers, but Soomi was blind to the splendor around her. Her gray eyes were focused entirely on the King and widened in shock when she heard his words. She curled her hands into fists, clutching the fabric of her blue dress. An eerie silence spread over them when she failed to answer. She knew her voice would break if she spoke now, and she could not afford to show weakness in front of the King. Therefore, she simply raised her chin and met his gaze.

He studied her reaction, watching her every move. His face was pale, his forehead covered with wrinkles. The war against the neighboring kingdom had taken its toll on him. No longer did he smile, and no warmth remained in his tired eyes; all he wanted was for this madness to stop. Thus, he resorted to an unthinkable decision in order to end the bloodshed once and for all. The price he would pay for securing peace was the life of his only daughter, a small cost compared to the many lives her sacrifice would preserve. Soomi knew she couldn’t decline. She had no say in this matter; the King’s decision was final.

“I know this is very sudden,” he continued, his voice resounding in the otherwise silent throne room. “This morning, a messenger from the Kingdom of Lux arrived at the castle. I proposed a union between our countries to end the war, and King Byun approved it. He sends his regards to you and agrees to a marriage between you and his son.”

“But can his word be trusted? What if this is a ploy?” Soomi asked, finally finding her voice. She was filled with doubts and fear at the prospect of marrying the enemy’s son. Soomi had been hoping to marry for love and not duty, but the war had forced her father’s hand. He didn’t vocalize it, but she could see the pain and the guilt shining in his eyes. The King did not want to lose his only daughter, but there was no other way. Soomi knew it was her obligation as the princess of Caelum to devote her life to the safety of her people.

“We need to take this chance, my dear. This will not be easy for you, but it is our last hope to end the war,” the King said, his gray eyes watching his daughter sorrowfully. “You have to be strong, just like all of us.”

“When is the marriage going to happen?” she asked, uneasily biting her lip.

“In two weeks from now,” he answered. Fear crossed her face, but she quickly hid it behind a blank expression, her eyes dulling. She felt entirely numb at the idea of giving her life away like this. Soomi wasn’t stupid; she knew full well that she was only a pawn in the greater scheme of things. Neither King Byun nor his son cared about what would happen to her; all they wanted was an alliance, and once she was shipped off to their kingdom, she would take on the role of a hostage. She gritted her teeth and looked down at the ground.

“I understand,” she said, unable to speak much more without breaking down where she stood. Her father watched her, sighing.

“You may leave.”

She curtsied and turned to leave the hall, carrying a significant burden on her small shoulders. Her fingers were trembling by the time she passed the doors, the guards bowing at her. Usually, she would smile at them, but now her mind was blank, and she didn’t react at all. The train of her blue dress flew over the marble floors when her steps sped up. She had a clear destination in mind, turning left and ascending a wide stairway covered with a dark blue carpet. Coming to stand in front of a heavy door with golden embellishments, she knocked and entered after hearing a soft voice from inside.

Soomi walked into her older brother’s room and found him sitting at his desk near a wide window façade, busy with his studies. He was the crown prince and would inherit the throne from their father. Therefore, he was required to learn about politics, the economy, and diplomacy. Soomi was convinced he would make a great sovereign, and she had always looked forward to his coronation. However, since she was forced to leave the Kingdom of Caelum, she would be unable to attend the festivities.

“Soomi,” he said as he looked up from his books. His warm eyes met hers, and he only needed a second to see that she was about to cry. “Father must have told you… He explained it to me this morning.”

“I don’t want to leave, Taehyung,” she said. Sadness clouded his features at the sight of her despair, and he closed the distance between him and his sister, hugging her. He rested his chin on her head, his hand ghosting over her hair in an attempt to comfort her.

“I know… and I hate the thought of handing you over to the enemy,” he grimaced. “But this war has lasted four whole years and cost so many lives. Our kingdom lost countless knights and soldiers, and yet we are still at a stalemate. Marriage is the best way to ensure a stable union in the future. I just wish it wasn’t at the cost of my sister.” Taehyung sighed deeply, letting go of her and taking a step back. His lips curved up and formed a bitter smile.

“I’m going to miss you,” Soomi said. Her brother was her closest friend and confidant. Being a princess was lonely; she had few people around her except for her family, the knights, and servants. The latter usually kept their distance.

“I’m going to miss you too…” he replied, his eyes sparkling sadly. “Let’s make the most of the two weeks we have left. How about we go horse riding tomorrow?”

“That sounds amazing, Tae,” Soomi smiled. She loved spending time outside with the horses. It was her favorite pastime, but unfortunately, it wasn’t customary for a princess, so she couldn’t do it very often. Taehyung normally took her outside when the King was occupied and didn’t notice what his children were up to. Though he had matured over the years, her brother was full of mischief.

Soomi walked over to the windows and glanced outside, her eyes moving over the yard. Caelum’s castle was an imposing structure with white stone walls and tall towers and turrets. Since it was built on a mountain, the view was gorgeous. Soomi could see the forest and the fields far away in the distance. A couple of villages were spread over the green meadows, a river connecting them. The Kingdom of Caelum was famous for its breathtaking scenery, but much of its beauty had been tainted since the war had begun. The villages near the border had fallen prey to violence and bloodshed, and many citizens had died.

Soomi put her hand on the window, sighing softly. “What kind of person is the crown prince of Lux?” she asked and heard Taehyung approaching her from behind. He stood next to her, gazing out the window.

“We met him before, but it’s been a long time since then, so I’m not surprised you don’t remember,” Taehyung answered. “It was twelve years ago when you were only ten.”

Soomi’s eyes widened, and her head snapped around to her brother. “What?”

“The royal family of Lux was invited to our kingdom, and the crown prince tagged along. He was a little older than you at the time,” Taehyung recounted. “His name is Baekhyun.”

The name rang a bell, and she recalled a blurry image of a boy with fluffy blond hair. He had worn a playful

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter