Serpens

The War in our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Serpens

- The Snake -

 

Ever since they shared a kiss, something between Baekhyun and Soomi had changed. Their trust in each other strengthened, and the change was plain to see for anyone who laid eyes on them. The otherwise stoic prince smiled more often and was often seen with the princess. He stayed with her for most of the day, sometimes accompanying her to the stables to visit the foal she had grown fond of. Other times, they went to the music hall, and he offered to play a song for her. Baekhyun’s mood had improved since his father’s health stabilized over the past few days. Despite this, he remained tense since the traitor hadn’t been found yet. Consequently, Baekhyun never left his sword behind—no matter where he went, he was always armed and reminded Soomi to be careful as well. His concern for her well-being showed her how much she meant to him, and even though he hadn’t expressed it with words, she was sure he had fallen in love with her. Baekhyun rarely spoke about his feelings, so she had to rely on his actions to guess what went through his head.

Two weeks had gone by since their honeymoon, and Soomi constantly carried a shard of fear in her heart. Uncertainty and apprehension had become her daily companions, clinging to her like a cloud of smoke. Only when Baekhyun was near her did she feel safe—she depended on him since he was one of the few people within the castle walls whom she could trust. Naturally, she was elated he spent more time with her, his presence soothing her worries for a little while.

Today, she asked him to play the piano for her since she loved listening to his songs, and upon seeing the hopeful spark in her eyes, he agreed without hesitation. Thus, they spent the afternoon in the music hall located in the tower, sitting in front of the impressive grand piano. Soomi’s light blue dress was spread over the small bench, most of it pooling on the marble floor. She removed her delicate gloves, putting them on her thigh. Leaning her head on Baekhyun’s shoulder, she watched his fingers elegantly dancing over the keys. He was focused on the melody he created, lining up tune after tune. It was an upbeat and cheerful song, eliciting a delighted smile from the princess. She hugged him with one arm, her hand drawing slow circles over his back. Occasionally, she closed her eyes and focused entirely on the melody.

A chuckle reached her ears as the song came to an end. The last tunes reverberated through the room, and she lifted her head off his shoulder. “That was wonderful! I could listen to this song all day,” she sighed dreamily. Gathering all her courage, she leaned in and kissed his cheek, his eyes widening a fraction. “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

Astonishment flashed over his face before he hid it, raising his eyebrows. “Don’t I deserve a bit more than that?” he asked offendedly, though the teasing glint in his eyes revealed that he wasn’t serious.

Knowing what he was implying, Soomi got flustered, her cheeks flushing. She folded her hands on her lap, lowering her head. “Um… I… I don’t know,” she stuttered, prompting him to smirk.

“You’re so cute, my princess.”

He put his hand on her chin and tilted her head up with gentle force, meeting her wide eyes with his amused gaze. Bridging the gap between them, he claimed her lips and kissed her. He nipped at her lower lip, grazing it with his tongue. She drew in a shaky breath, burying her hands in his ash-blond hair, feeling the cool metal of his delicate crown. Her insecurity faded as she melted into his arms, responding to his touches and leaning her body against his. Soomi felt comfortable in the safety of his arms, enjoying the moment to its fullest.

He dominated their kiss, skillfully tracing her lips with the tip of his tongue while his hands wandered up and down her sides, eventually coming to rest on the curve of her hips. Her body quivered, heat pooling in her stomach. It was an unfamiliar sensation. He must have noticed his effect on her since she felt him smirk against her lips before he broke the kiss to let her take a breath.

Her lips were flushed and swollen, her pupils dilated, contrasting with the innocence in her expression. He was stunned by her beauty, pausing to admire her. Tracing her jawline with his fingertips, he breathed a sweet kiss on the spot where her neck met her shoulder.

“Wasn’t this better than what you did before?” he purred into her ear.

She was breathless, her body set on fire by his irresistible touches. This feeling was new to Soomi, but she didn’t dislike it and craved more of it, more of him. Her blood was boiling, and she dug her fingers into his jacket, overcome with longing.

“It was,” she whispered. “Why did you stop? Did I do something wrong?” She glanced at him with a shy look on her face, biting her lower lip with her teeth.

“Princess, you didn’t do anything wrong,” he murmured into her ear, embracing her and tugging her body into his chest. “If you want me to continue, you only need to say it.”

“Please,” she answered in a breath and glanced up at him. The hunger in his gaze and the possessiveness of his embrace put a spell on her.

“As you wish,” his silky voice answered. His eyes darkened further, and he captured her lips to kiss her sensually. Fingertips ghosting over her neck, he educed another quiver from her, another sharp intake of air. Their kiss was more passionate than the one before, sizzling heat spreading through her. She was drowning in bliss and returned his affection in a needy way, her shyness forgotten. They got lost in each other and only separated when they needed air, leaning their foreheads against each other.

He smirked confidently, the pads of his fingers caressing her cheeks. “Did this satisfy your wish?”

She avoided his inquiring eyes but answered honestly. “It did… and I wouldn’t mind if we did it again.”

“Your shyness is adorable, my princess,” he chuckled and playfully ruffled her hair before his eyes fell on the piano in front of him. “Looks like we got distracted from what we came here to do.”

“You still haven’t taught me a song even though you promised,” she reminded him and pouted.

“Then we should start right away,” he said and took her hand, squeezing it for a moment before he guided it over a set of keys.

 

 

While Baekhyun was occupied with his duties the following afternoon, Soomi strolled to the stables with Kyungsoo. The quiet knight’s company was a nice change from the bubbly personalities of Jongin and Chanyeol. While she didn’t mind the other knights’ antics, she was glad to have time to think. Kyungsoo’s silence was relaxing, so she let her thoughts wander as she crossed the courtyard to the stables. However, Soomi suddenly spotted someone she disliked, and her calm mood plummeted into a bottomless abyss. It was Lady Yang, and she walked towards the princess, determined to talk to her. Holding back a very unladylike curse, Soomi put up an unbothered façade.

“Lady Yang, what a surprise to see you,” she said, inwardly choking on her words. The other woman wore her long brown hair in an intricate braid. Her appearance was immaculate, from the red pumps to the flowing dress and costly jewelry. 

“I need to speak to you about an important matter, Your Highness,” she said and didn’t sound as hostile as the princess had expected. Bitterness and a hint of sadness swam in her eyes, but none of these emotions were reflected in her tone.

“What is it?” Soomi asked. Kyungsoo exchanged a short glance with her and stepped back a bit, giving them privacy.

“I have to warn you about something important,” Lady Yang said, lowering her voice. “I tried to speak to the prince as well, but he does not listen to me.” Again, the same bitterness sparked in her eyes, but no spiteful remark left her lips.

Soomi frowned in doubt, not trusting this woman. Why would she warn Soomi when she even tried stealing her husband before? It made no sense whatsoever, and Soomi was ready to tell her to leave.

“Lady Yang, this is not…”

“Please!” the noblewoman interrupted her. The urgency in her voice made Soomi falter. “Please just listen to me for a minute; that’s all I need.”

“Then make it quick!”

Lady Yang drew in a breath, glancing over her shoulder nervously before she leaned in and whispered, “I overheard a conversation this morning when I was walking to the dining hall for breakfast. Lady Yubin spoke to a man I’ve never seen before. They were talking about a kidnapping attempt that supposedly happened during your honeymoon. I have a suspicion that she is conspiring against you and the prince.”

All air left Soomi’s lungs, her eyes widening in utter shock. How would Lady Yubin know about the kidnapping attempt? There was only one explanation, and Soomi couldn’t believe it. She was the only noble at Lux’s court who had been kind to Soomi, and she was fond of her.  She couldn’t be a traitor. Soomi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter