The Past

Parenting 101
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Naeun, please introduce your family," the homeroom teacher requested. They were sitting in a circle for their weekly storytelling session. The topic for that day was about their family, so they needed to introduce the family members to the class.

Naeun stood up from her chair and showed the class the picture in her hand. "This is a picture of my family. I have two moms, like Seo Jung." She pointed at Tiffany's face in the picture. "This is my Mommy. Her name is Tiffany, and she owned the TY Fashionline Company. Famous brands like Blanc&Eclare are under TY Fashionline Company," she explained, quoting her mother.

The whole class gawked at her. "Wow, your mom is the owner of the TY Fashionline? My mom always bought handbags from TY store," one of her classmate stated, making Naeun beam proudly.

"This is my other mother, Taeyeon," she continued, and pointed at Taeyeon's face. "We spent a lot of time together because she's not working.  She loves travelling to other countries with Aunty Sunny. Her hobbies are writing and producing songs once in a while." 

"Your mom is jobless?" a boy in a thick spectacle said, making the whole class laugh.

Tiffany had sent Naeun to an international school where kids with same parents or parents were accepted to avoid her from getting bullied. As usual, the fees were a bit high and not many came from a background like Taeyeon and Tiffany. It was, therefore, only acceptable for the children if both parents were employed.

"Be quiet everyone," the teacher said. "Now, please continue."

Naeun felt discouraged. She shook her head and sat down. "That's all," she said, although she had yet to introduce Zero to the class. 

*****

"Let's go to Baskin Robbins after lunch, okay?" Taeyeon said the moment Naeun entered the car.

The girl shook her head.

"Really? I already asked for your mother's permission." 

The girl nodded. 

"Okay..." Taeyeon frowned. She started the car and drove to the nearby cafe. 

Naeun ate her lunch in silence and that worried Taeyeon because the girl had never acted that way. She had tried every means to make her daughter open up, but nothing worked. 

Naeun went to her bedroom as soon as they were home. Taeyeon observed her daughter's unusual behaviour for a while until she decided to give Naeun's homeroom teacher a call. "Hello? It's me, Naeun's mom. Did something happen to her at school? She came back looking sad, so I'm worried if she happened to get into trouble or something."

The teacher enlightened her on the incident that took place ealier in the day. As soon as Taeyeon ended the call, the front door opened and in walked Tiffany, looking worried. Taeyeon had texted her about their daughter looking somber so Tiffany cancelled her meeting and rushed back home.

"What happened?" 

Taeyeon explained the things she heard from the teacher. 

"Don't worry. Let's ask her first," Tiffany said when she saw the look in Taeyeon's eyes.

Taeyeon knocked on the door to Naeun's room and went inside while Tiffany stood at the door, giving Taeyeon the chance and space to talk to Naeun. The girl was scribbling on a piece of paper, a habit that Taeyeon and Tiffany noticed when the girl had a lot on her mind or when she was bored.

"Naeun-ah, I asked your teacher, and she told me about the things that happened in school." Taeyeon walked to the study table and kneeled beside her daughter.

The girl stopped her scribbling.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter