life at Jennie's house

the unspoken truth

Rosé was so nervous throughout the rest of the school day. As she exited her last class of the day, Lisa was walking alongside her, talking about some annoying group she was with for a project. But her words slipped through Rosé's ears meaninglessly. Rosé always loved and dreaded these small moments from school everyday. She would see Jennie for small fleeting instances in the hallways or passing classrooms, but they both had to pretend as if they don't know each other. As if they don't care about each other. Rosé hated this part because it felt like a bad dream. A reminder. A warning. A glimpse into a life without Jennie. But she also loved it because it was the only time she could see her out in the open. Was this bad? Was this a sign of a toxic relationship?

She saw Jennie walking through the crowd, shining like a star. All eyes were on her, everyone always in awe of this it girl. Lisa gripped Rosé's arm tightly in panic, as she spotted Jennie too, whispering, "Oh my gosh, it's Jennie..." 

Jennie's long brown hair flowed behind her as she flipped it with her small hands. Two tall and handsome boys flanked her, as always. Everyone gathered around Jennie were always beautiful and handsome. Jennie adjusted the tie on her school uniform slightly, out of frustration. Suddenly everyone froze in the hallway, holding their breath as Jennie sighed, annoyed. 

A group of 3 girls were standing, crowded in front of Jennie's locker, not knowing what was going on as they chattered amongst themselves. The boy standing to Jennie's left slammed his fist against the metal lockers, "HEY! Get out of the way!" 

The group of girls didn't seem to know or hear anything. They were all focusing on a video playing from one of their phones, laughing and chattering busily. 

Both boys dropped their bags to the floor, about to charge at the girls angrily. Jennie stopped them. She tossed her bag to the boys and then walked up to the group of girls. She tapped a girl's shoulder, "Do you mind?" 

The group of girls suddenly turned around, facing Jennie, confused. 

The girl in front of Jennie crossed her arms, "What do you want? I get that you're the president of this school's daughter, but that doesn't make you have the authority to tell me what to do. I'm standing in front of my locker, I'm doing nothing wrong anyways."

Jennie crossed her arms too, a cold expression taking over, "Is that so? Open the locker then."

The girl rolled her eyes, as if Jennie was asking a dumb question. She went to Jennie's locker, trying the combination code. 

Lisa whispered in Rosé's ear, horrified, "Oh no! The poor girl must've mistaken Jennie's locker for hers!"

Rosé widened her eyes, wondering what would happen to the girl.

"The code isn't working..." The girl said aloud, confused. 

"Well, of course it isn't! Are you stupid? Are you really a student at this school? Is memorizing where your locker is that hard? Get out of the way, ." Jennie snapped.

She shoved the girl away, extremely cross.

The girl fell to the floor, crying.

Lisa pulled Rosé quickly away out of the school, "Come ON! It won't do us any good to stay and keep watching that horror show."

Rosé blinked, she saw this almost everyday. Jennie being a cold and emotionless person to other students, but it shocked her each time. Was this part of the act too? 

Lisa laughed, "Rosé? You good? I said I'll see you tomorrow!" Rosé managed to smile, and wave, nodding as the girl left. 

She started going home, unable to get the scene out of her head. Jennie shoving the girl coldly. Jennie calling the girl stupid. Jennie making the girl cry. Jennie allowing her friends to be mean too.

No matter how many times she saw Jennie acting like this around school, she couldn't get used to it. Or was it just Rosé's problem? After all, she met Jennie first alone not at a school setting where she was cold and mean. Which Jennie was the real Jennie? Were they all part of the same girl? 

She arrived home, checking her phone, and saw a text from Jennie.

New Message (3:49 PM) jennie my wifey: hey rosie <3 i miss u :(

New Message (4:00 PM) jennie my wifey: don't forget to ask ur parents ab that sleepover ;)

New Message (4:10 PM) jennie my wifey: don't forget it's for a week ;) 

New Message (4:11 PM) jennie my wifey: don't forget ur clothes ;)

New Message (4:13 PM) jennie my wifey: i mean...u can forget them if u want lol ;)

New Message (4:15 PM) jennie my wifey: im jk, u can borrow literally anything that belongs to me. just as long as u bring urself. <3 love u my hubby.

New Message (4:16 PM) jennie my wifey: oh actually bring ur guitar too ... maybe u can sing me to sleep tonight ;)

New Message (4:20 PM) jennie my wifey: love you my baby <3 see u soon ;)

Was this seriously the same Jennie that was so coldly treating the other girl at school? She shook her head, unable to tell which Jennie was which, as she texted Jennie back.

Deliver To (4:23 PM) jennie my wifey: i will~ can't wait to see you my wifey<3 !!

She sighed, remembering to ask her parents about the sleepover. She went into her room and started packing her bag for the week. With her bag and guitar, she pulled out her phone and called her mom, asking about the sleepover. 

After her mom's call, Jennie called right after. 

"Hello? Jennie?"

"Hey Rosie, what did your parents say?"

"I just got off the phone with my mom, she said yes. Although she seemed slightly confused as to why I'm sleeping over for a week at a friend's house hahaah."

"Good good that's good! SO, you done packing? You all ready?"

"Yeah, well-"

"Come outside."

"What?"

"Come out. Bring everything."

"What!? You're here?" 

But Jennie had already hung up.

Rosé hurried out, and saw a slick black BMW sports car waiting for her in the driveway. Jennie peeped her head out from the top of the car where there was a roof opening. Jennie waved, smiling, "Hey Rosie!!"

Rosé was in awe. "You're h-here? Jennie, this is so risky...what if my parents come home!"

Jennie got out the car, "Duh! Well that's why I'm helping you with your things."

Jennie got Rosé's bag, putting it in the trunk as Rosé put her guitar case in. 

Jennie grabbed Rosé's hand, pulling her in the backseat of the car, "Come on! I can't wait for you to come home with me!"

Rosé entered the car, it was very luxurious looking.

She eyed the driver warily, feeling awkward. 

Jennie saw that and laughed, "Don't worry, Rosie, this is Jaesung! He's my personal driver! He's literally my driver so he can't say anything to my parents or anyone else. Right, Jaesung?"

The man in the front nodded, giving a little bow through the rear mirror at Rosé. Rosé nodded, smiling awkwardly. 

"Hey. Don't worry about a thing, okay? You're only here with me now." Jennie said, putting a hand on Rosé's hand. She turned to face the older girl, who scooted closer to her. Rosé felt her cheeks heating up from just that small movement. Would she be able to survive a week with Jennie Kim?

**

They were at Jennie's house now. It was huge. One of those expensive houses from the movies. After being showed around the house, they were in Jennie's bedroom. It was actually really cozy and pretty. Rosé ran her hand across Jennie's bed sheets, "Hey, it's actually a lot cleaner than I expected. I thought it'd be dirty." 

Jennie laughed, "Hey! I'm such a neat and clean girl! Are you calling me a dirty person?!" 

Rosé shrugged, smiling. Jennie suddenly drew closer, pushing Rosé down on the bed. Their faces were so close. She could feel Jennie's warm breath against her face. 

"In what way dirty?" Jennie asked, almost in a whisper. Rosé cleared , trying to swallow. Suddenly Jennie got off, sitting up on the bed, sighing, "I'm sorry, Rosie. I know I'm being so persistent and flirty." Rosé smiled, thinking that Jennie was so cute, and then put a hand on Jennie's arm, "Hey, Jennie...it's okay. No need to feel sorry. I'm just...uh- sort of panicking at the thought of how I'm supposed to survive a week with you when small actions you do to me make me so nervous and hot....there I said it!"

Jennie's lips turned up into a smirk, "Well, that's cute. Does this mean you find me intimidating?"

Rosé rolled her eyes, "You're doing it AGAIN, Jennie!" 

Jennie groaned, covering her face with her hands, "Agh! I'm sorry Rosie! I can't help being flirty...it's just part of my personality. What can I do?"

Rosé suddenly remembered the scene from school. Jennie pushing the girl to the ground. 

"Hey, Jennie? Can I ask you something personal?" 

The girl looked up, curious, "Sure."

"Why do you....act so different at school? Around the other students? You're so...so..." Rosé trailed off, realizing she didn't know how to word it without accusing Jennie of being a cold person or a bully.

Jennie sighed, leaning back on one arm, "Why I'm such a cold hearted bully, right?"

Caught off guard, Rosé started coughing, "Well! I mean-yeah..."

"Rosie...I can't help it...that too...it's just part of my personality...I don't know what else to say, really. Some people just really annoy me enough to go to that extent like today. I don't know...it's just the way I always am...except when I'm with you, Rosie...you make me so weak...and soft. It makes me scared honestly that you'll just leave me because of my imperfections." Jennie's dark eyes flicked up to Rosé's eyes, searching for any signs or reactions.

"Oh Jennie...come here. I still love you." Rosé said. Jennie fell into Rosé's arms. They hugged for a long time. It turned into a cuddle as Jennie pulled them down to a laying position and as she hung her leg over Rosé's hips. It then turned into a relaxing time as both girls rested their heads against each other's shoulders. It then turned into a nap as they both dozed off.

***

Suddenly Rosé awoke. Jennie was sitting, staring down at Rosé admiringly.

"Ugh, don't look at my ugly sleeping face, please." Rosé groaned, covering her face with Jennie's pillow. Jennie laughed, dragging Rosé out of bed, "You're beautiful! Shut up! Now let's go eat dinner. Jaesung has it prepared downstairs."

****

It was finally the dreaded but long awaited night. They had both showered. And were now laying in Jennie's bed in the dark, facing the ceiling. It was so quiet.

Rosé wondered if Jennie could hear her heartbeat. It was going so fast and so crazy now. Suddenly Jennie took Rosé and pulled her closer into an embrace and kissed her on the forehead, "Goodnight, my love." Rosé's stress and crazy thoughts suddenly all dissapeared. She felt so peaceful and safe in her arms now. This was it. 

****

The first 3 days flowed by like this. Peaceful. Lovely. Romantic. Nothing too crazy. Fun. Memorable.

They were eating dinner together, Jennie got up to go to the bathroom. 

Rosé busily munched into the delicious food, when she heard a buzz. It was coming from Jennie's phone. She picked it up, about to shout to Jennie that there was a text.

But her phone kept buzzing a few more times. Rosé knew she probably shouldn't but she opened her phone, curious. It was from a groupchat with a few other students that she recognized as the people that would bully students with Jennie. 

New Message (6:34 PM) young arts academy group: jennie! that came by our music room again! 

New Message (6:35 PM) young arts academy group: seriously...she's so annoying...she doesn't take a hint. she must be stupid.

New Message (6:35 PM) young arts academy group: what should we do with her, jennie? we have her now. we can send her off with a warning or beat her up a little, what do you say?

New Message (6:36 PM) young arts academy group: can we please just give her a little bit of a wake up call? i'm so bored.

New Message (6:37 PM) young arts academy group: omg same! I hope jennie answers soon.

Rosé put the phone down, not knowing what to think. Was she supposed to ignore this? Pretend she didn't see? 

"What's wrong, Rosie?" Jennie asked, as she was coming back.

She saw Rosé's horrified look and then saw Jennie's lit up phone next to her. Jennie widened her eyes, running to the table, and grabbed the phone.

"Did ...did you see?" Jennie asked, hesitant.

Rosé nodded, shaking, "I-I can understand up to the part of maybe not being able to control certain trigger moments with certain students...but...beating up students? having a goddamn groupchat just with all the other bullies?"

Jennie looked at her feet, looking sheepish, "Rosé..it's not what it seems like..."

"What is it then? A friendly social club gathering? What makes you any different from gangs? Are you a gangster? What the heck are you doing, Jennie....? You're better than THIS. I know it. I know you!" Rosé shouted.

Jennie looked away, she seemed to be biting her lips from frustration, "Look! Rosé, I'm not a bully, okay? That group chat serves other purposes you don't need to know or understand! And who cares if I'm ordering them to do certain things? Who cares if some gets beat up? She gets what she deserves, okay? Geez..." Jennie went back to her phone screen, texting away, and then went to call. 

"Yes, It's me. I'll be right there. Make sure she doesn't get away. I'll teach her a quick lesson." Jennie said coldly. With that, she hung up, and then went to the doorway, leaving, "Jaesung! Drive me to school!"

Rosé couldn't believe this. What was this sudden gang type of activity? Jennie was such a low human...no matter how annoying someone is...beating them up? With a whole group too? She couldn't believe this bull she was forced to deal with because Jennie was her girlfriend. 

She decided she was going to go to the school too. If she couldn't stop Jennie and her friends, she'd stop dating her right then and there. She wouldn't care who was there or who was watching. She couldn't keep dating someone who had such messed up morals.

****

Rosé took a taxi, following Jennie's car. She slowly followed Jennie from a bit behind, waiting for the perfect time to go up to her and stop her. Jennie went into a music studio room. Rosé peeked through the door, and gasped. She saw a group of students including Jennie, all crowded together. She saw one student with a baseball bat. Rosé shook her head, this was pure harassment. Bullying was a soft word for what she was seeing. This was a gang.

Suddenly someone tapped her from behind. She turned around and saw Jisoo to her surprise. "Jisoo? What are you doing here?" She asked. 

Jisoo's eyes seemed a bit unsteady, "What about you? Having fun at Jennie's house?"

Rosé's heart stopped, "Wh-What?"

Jisoo scoffed, rolling her eyes, "CUT the bull , Rosé. You think I'm stupid? Of course I saw through all your lies and all your little efforts to deceive me. It was a good try, I'll give that to you. But I'm sorry, this is where it stops." She suddenly reached into her jacket pockets, pulling out a knife and held it, pointing it at Rosé dangerously close.  Rosé was frozen, "C-Calm down, Jisoo....I didn't mean any foul intentions..." 

"Shut it! I said! Shut it!" Jisoo brought the knife to Rosé's throat, "I can slice open your throat whenever I want. So shut up if you don't want to die right now. Now bring your hands up where I can see them."

Rosé was shaking, as she raised her arms up slowly, she held the speed dial button on her phone which was Jennie's number. And then she raised her arms all the way up. She felt the phone buzzing in her pocket, did Jennie answer? 

Suddenly the door swung open, it was Jennie. Jisoo grabbed Rosé right away, the knife against , "Stay right there, Jennie! Or your precious Rosie will die right here before your eyes." Jisoo hissed. Jennie froze, her eyes were wide with horror and shock, "J-Jisoo...what the hell are you doing? Rosé's innocent...let her go." Jisoo shook her head, "No no no, you stay right there. Take one step, and it's one inch deep this blade goes into her neck. Don't follow me."

Rosé stared at Jennie's eyes which were filling up with tears fast. "I love you." Rosé mouthed as a tear dropped from her eye.

Jisoo pulled Rosé into a stair well, and then poked the knife at her back, forcing her to run. Before she knew it, they were on the roof. 

All she could think of right now was how she got into such a mess. This all started because of one particular girl. A certain school. 

Would she do this all over again if it was the only way to meet Jennie? She would. Even if it meant her death in the end. It was worth it.

Jisoo was glaring at Rosé, as if she was a filty trash can, "Look here, you . Tell me exactly what you've done with Jennie. I have to know."

"I thought you know everything about me and Jennie, you creepy stalker!" Rosé yelled angrily at Jisoo. The older girl looked enraged and then hit Rosé hard across the face with the of the knife. Dull pain scorched across her face like a fiery burn, she felt blood starting to drip down her cheek, but she didn't care. 

"Don't say anything, Rosé." a voice said.

Jisoo whipped behind, finding Jennie up here as well. 

"I thought I said no following!" Jisoo screamed. 

Jennie narrowed her eyes, "Who told you I'd listen to you, ?" 

Jisoo let out a wail of anger and charged at Jennie, with her knife pointed at Jennie. Rosé suddenly realized what was happening. She ran forwards and jumped on top of Jisoo, tackling her. Jisoo fell to the ground, flailing her arms about, trying to stab her. Rosé scuffled and wrestled with Jisoo for a while.

Jennie was frozen with fear, and then jumped forwards, trying to get between the two girls. 

"Rosé! Get away from her! You're going to get hurt, you idiot!" Jennie snapped, trying to help Rosé, but Rosé pushed Jennie back strongly. Jennie fell with a groan, "Rosé...you're so stupid! What do you think you're doing!?" But Rosé ignored her.

She now grabbed on to Jisoo's shoulders hard, "I am not! Going to let her hurt you! Or get in between us!" She screamed as she pinned Jisoo's shoulders down finally.

"I am not going to let you hurt Jennie any longer!" Rosé whispered, as she stared intensely into Jisoo's eyes.

Jisoo growled, "Who said I'm killing her? That's you! No one deserves to be with Jennie except for me! I'm the only one for her!" Her eyes were wild with anger and obsession. It scared Rosé.

Jisoo suddenly made a slashing motion with her knife, and Rosé felt a sudden sharp pain shoot through her arm.

Rosé cried out, she saw blood splurt out from her forearm, and everything seemed to resume in slow motion.

She couldn't hear that well...It was like a song suddenly going on mute...or being underwater...

She could hear Jennie's screaming though...

As Rosé fell to the ground, dizzy, she saw Jennie tackling Jisoo, throwing the knife away and beating up Jisoo,  but everything was going black....

 

****************

She smelled the sweet scent of something...something fruity and elegant...it was...what was it? It smelled like Jennie...

She awoke.

Rosé was lying in a hospital bed, in some sort of big room. She felt a bandage wrap on her cheek and saw her arm was in a cast. There were so many wires and lines all over her body, hanging from the fluid bags above her head. Jennie was sitting on a chair beside Rosé's bed, fast asleep with her head on the bed.. She had bandages on her arm too. Jennie was hurt? When? How did this happen?

She suddenly remembered everything. Jisoo. The rooftop. The knife. The blood. The screaming. 

Rosé bolted upright, gasping, as all the memories flooded back. Jennie got up right away, rubbing her eyes, and then stood up, a look of worry all over her face. "Rosie?! Are you okay? Oh my god..." Jennie wrapped her arms around Rosé's head, pulling her in close. 

Rosé hugged Jennie's waist, "Yeah...I feel fine...why am I here? Shouldn't you be in a hospital bed too? You seem hurt." She tried to pull away from the hug, to examine Jennie's bandages. But Jennie resisted, hugging tighter, "No. Don't worry about a thing, Rosie. Just rest."

After about several minutes of Jennie hugging her, they pulled apart, facing each other. 

Jennie sighed, gripping Rosé's hand, "Rosie...Jisoo stabbed you in the arm and the doctors X-rayed you...they said that a bone was slightly fractured in your arm tendon...they had said that you had to stay at the hospital for a month..."

Rosé widened her eyes, "A month???? I can't stay here in the hospital for that long!"

Jennie studied her face, "You really can't tell can you?"
"What are you talking about?"

"It's already been over a month..."

"W-What?"

Jennie's eyes started getting watery, "Rosie...the doctors didn't expect it but you fell into a coma for about a month and a week or so....I was so scared...I'm so sorry that this happened to you...I'm the worst girlfriend ever...If you never woke up...I didn't know what I would do with myself for the rest of my life....I-"

Rosé interrupted her, "Jennie. Stop. I'm here now, aren't I? You don't have to worry about that anymore. And this isn't your fault. It's Jisoo's...where is she?"

Jennie sighed again, leaning back into her chair, "She got arrested by the police. She's in juvie now. Serves her right..."

Suddenly the doors opened. It was Rosé's parents. "Chaeyoung-ah! You're awake!!!" Her mom ran in.

Jennie got up, squeezing Rosé's hand once, "I'll see you soon, Rosé." Jennie smiled and then quickly left.

Her parents embraced her, and she was glad to be with her parents but she missed Jennie already.

"By the way, who was that?" Her mom asked.

"Oh...a-a school friend." Rosé answered shortly.

Her dad ruffled her hair, laughing, "Wow, a totally new school and environment ...we knew you'd make friends fast."

They smiled at her, beaming. Her parents were so proud. So happy. 

Would they still feel the same when they find out that the girl that just walked out was secretly her girlfriend?