Do You Regret It?

the unspoken truth

Rosé was shaking, but tried so hard to remain still. Did she regret it? Did she truly see Jennie different now? She hated herself suddenly. She knew exactly what her answers were. She was scared to meet those dark eyes. Scared to see her reflection. Scared to see her true self. Scared to be exposed. She slowly rested her fingers over the guitar strings. 

She ran her finger along the strings up and down. Trying to calm down and trying to reach the peaceful lake and the clear night sky sparkling with stars. To her surprise, Jennie suddenly put her hand gently over Rosé’s hand, making her to look up into Jennie’s eyes. “You’re trying time reach that peaceful place, right? That one quiet place. Your safe place.” Jennie said. Rosé blinked, in shock, “How did you-?” Jennie drew even closer to her, “Music is healing to you, right? It’s the only thing that allows you to reach your peaceful and safe place, right? That’s what it is to you, am I right?” 

Rosé, in this moment, wished those rumors about Jennie were all lies. It didn’t make sense though. Jennie and Rosé haven’t even talked for a long time. Did Rosé believe that by Jennie being nice and helping her with her locker make her a nice person? Even Jennie’s childhood close friends Jisoo confirmed these rumors. 

Jennie Rosé’s hand softly, “It’s for me too. Music heals me. It’s the only thing that takes me to my own sort of safe place.” Rosé felt shivers creeping up her spine, making her hair stand on edge, as she felt the older girl’s touch. 

She fought hard mentally, against herself as she spoke finally, “I do regret it. I do see you differently now.” Jennie’s didn’t miss a beat; she didn’t even look up in reaction, “No you don’t.” How was she supposed to fight both herself and Jennie? ‘But do I want to fall to Jennie as just another of her bully victims?’ 

“Yes I do. Can you just go? Leave me alone, god damn it!” Rosé burst out. 

Jennie still didn’t look fazed or hurt at all, she instead just shrugged and started to get up. Rosé didn’t know what got into her. Perhaps she was momentarily possessed? Mentally unstable all of a sudden? Suicidal? Whatever it was, something made her reach out, suddenly grabbing Jennie’s hand. 'What the hell did I just do?' She thought frantically, not even able to meet the girl's eyes. She quickly let go of the older girl's hand. Jennie let out a little airy chuckle, and then she knelt down, next to Rosé, meeting eyes. She grabbed Rosé's hand back, gripping her wrist tightly. For a minute, they were just inches away from each other's faces, with Jennie holding Rosé by the wrist. Rosé blinked, astonished "J-Jennie...what are you-" Jennie came even closer to her, their shoulders were touching, only Rosé's guitar was between their bodies. Rosé suddenly felt her body heating up, making her feel sweaty. She wondered if Jennie could see her sweating.

Jennie kept staring into her eyes, so she looked away, freeing her wrist from Jennie's clasp. "Gosh, what are you doing Jennie?" Jennie grabbed her wrist again, harder this time. "Rosé...do you actually mean it? You regret meeting me?" Rosé could feel Jennie's warm breath, she was so close. She finally stood up, forcing Jennie to let go of her. "Look, I don't want to sound offensive, but you're a bully. And not just an average one either. You cause students to take their lives. You were really kind this morning though, so I'll thank you for helping me with my locker. But that's it. I just wanted to thank you. I wish we don't ever meet again. You can't blame me for wanting to live. I'm not going to become another one of your victims." She swung her guitar over her back, and walked away, not checking to see Jennie's face expression. As she walked down the hallway, the lights got dimmer. She turned around, squinting to see if Jennie was still near the stairwell at the end of the hallway. She was gone now. Suddenly she heard footsteps. It quickly stopped. She felt goosebumps all over her arms, getting a weird feeling that she was being watched. There were countless doors at each sides of the hallway, all of them empty and with no lights. 

Rosé quickened her pace, starting to feel a bit more creeped out than she would like. Thankfully she reached the main enterance where students were bustling around everywhere. There was light. She sat at an empty bench, trying to register her conversation with Jennie. Suddenly she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Jisoo! "Oh! Jisoo? How'd you know I was here?" Rosé exclaimed, genuinely surprised. Jisoo laughed, "Hi! Oh well, after you ran off like that...it made me worried so I searched everywhere for you! By the way though...what happened? Where did you go? Did you meet Jennie again?" Rosé hesitated before answering, not wanting to freak out the older girl, "Oh! No...nothing like that. I just-wanted to practice guitar! Haha..." She quickly pointed to the guitar hanging on her back. Jisoo's face was expressionless, but she nodded slowly before brightening into a warm smile again, "Oh, of course! You and your guitar haha...so, uh-now that you know how Jennie looks like, you're going to try to avoid her right?" Rosé blinked, wondering if she was telling the truth or lying, "Yeah! I definitely will avoid her from now on..." Jisoo chuckled, patting Rosé's shoulder affectionately, "That's a good decision for you to make! We don't want you ending up as the first victim of this quarter now, haha."