The Audition

the unspoken truth

"Mom, do I really have a chance? And are you sure we can afford this?" Chaeyoung asked. Her mother gently put her hand on her daughter's shoulders, with a loving look, "Chaeyoung-ah, you're my beloved and talented daughter. And you're incredibly smart. Stop saying useless things and just follow your parents'. Trust me." Chaeyoung looked uneasy but she shifted the guitar strap around her shoulder, "Okay, let's go." She was so nervous.

She was about to audition for Hongdae school of music. But even if she got in, the yearly tuition was so expensive, surely, above her family's income. But she decided to just trust her mother for once, and just go for it. There was a long line, but once she got her sticker with the number 6 written on it, she settled down on a chair. The room was full and bustling with students nervously biting their nails, or tuning their instruments or sleeping. She noticed that some students would grab their earphones or instrument or a water bottle to go outside and practice. She decided she would quickly go over the song maybe one or two times. She didn't want to over practice. She was confident about her abilities in playing guitar and singing. She held the neck of her guitar protectively as she headed out with earphones and her phone in the other hand.

She found a private area secluded from the other students with a nice shade with trees surrounding the area. It was perfect! She sat down on the grass, and pulled her guitar from behind her back. Tightening the strap around her body, she tuned it quickly, and then strummed it. Suddenly all her worries and thoughts dissapeared. Her mind felt like a quiet lake, not an inch of a ripple. She pictured a clear dark night sky sprayed with dozens of small sparkling stars. "Wise men say only fools rush in...But I can't help falling in love with...you..." Her hand strung and plucked the strings delicately while she let her voice spill out of . She felt so peaceful as she continued playing and singing. She ended and decided she was ready. She got up, dusting off herself and suddenly she heard a twig snap. She spun around, from alarm. Under the trees, a tall woman stepped out. She was about her mother's age and had silver glasses with curly black shoulder length hair. Chaeyoung raised her brows, confused. The woman chuckled lightly, "I apologize for alarming you, young lady. But I just couldn't help listening in on your lovely voice. It's so beautiful." Chaeyoung was still tense about this woman. But she smiled politely, "Thank you!" The woman sighed, "I apologize again for confusing you, young lady. I'm sure you think of me as a weird stranger. I'm actually..." She stepped more forwards from the shadows, and Chaeyoung could see the wrinkle-free dress the woman was wearing and her polished nails. She was a very wealthy woman, obviously. The woman handed Chaeyoung a card, "...I'm actually Haeun Young. I am the CEO of Young Arts Academy."

Chaeyoung received the card with hesitant hands. "Uh...? Are you possibly talking about the private school Young Arts Academy? The prestegious one that is the talk of Korea right now? Why-Why would you want to talk with me?...Uh, Ms.CEO." The woman laughed, "Please, just call me Ms.Young. And why do you think so? I'm recruiting you. I am absolutely in love with your voice and believe your guitar skills are considerably higher than average people. Of course, I'd still have to take a look at your background information and your academic history and your IQ tests, but so far, your talents are worth applauding."

Chaeyoung was wide eyed as she stared at the card, firmly gripped in her hands. The woman smiled, "You can think about it a bit more and call me with that number." "But! Ms.Young...even if I'm qualified talent-wise to go to that school, my family income isn't as high as everyone else in that school. I'm sorry but thank you for the offer." Chaeyoung pocketed the card and then pushing the guitar over her back, she started to make her way back to the audition room. The woman put a hand on her arm, "Young lady...something you may not know about Young Arts Academy is that we never personally recruit students. And especially not the CEO herself." Chaeyoung looked at the woman with bewilderment, "Aren't you the CEO though? And didn't you say you don't personally recruit students?"

Ms. Young smiled, "Young lady...don't you see what I'm saying? Perhaps your IQ isn't as high as your talents...anyways, I was coming by this building because a friend of mine was to be judging the Hongdae school of arts auditions, and I was going to meet with her for lunch. But I passed by here and heard such a lovely voice and was only planning to listen for a bit but something about your voice just made me want to stay. You have a strong appealing charm in your voice, young lady. This is why I had to make an exception and make an offer. And of course, you wouldn't have to worry about finances at this school. I'll have all of that covered for you. You just have to excel in your classes and make me feel that I did the right choice in inviting you."

Chaeyoung gaped, not knowing what to even say. Ms. Young chuckled, "Young lady, what's your name?" "Ch-chaeyoung..."she whispered. Ms. Young nodded, as if taking a note mentally, "Now, Ms.Chaeyoung, if I were you, I'd hurry home and forget about this auditon and focus on getting ready for applying to a prestigious school." With a small witty laugh, she nodded, "I hope to see you in the fall then." and left. Chaeyoung shakily took her phone out, "Mom? Can you pick me up? Yeah, uh-I'm not going to audition for this school. But I'll explain in person."

She blankly walked, unable to register what even happened. Did this really just happen to her? Park Chaeyoung? The most unlucky of unluckiest. The most average of average. The most boring of boring. The most quietest of the quiet. What on earth was going on?