Coffee

the unspoken truth

Rosé felt nervous energy as she always did before lunch. The professor of her music theory class ended the lecture early so she was letting the students chill before the bell rang for lunch. Rosé checked the time, they still had an hour left. She sighed, putting her notes and folders away into her bag. She would honestly rather have lecture continue till the bell rang. At least she'd have something to focus and think about other than Jennie. She pulled her phone out, wondering what her girlfriend was up to.

She scrolled through Instagram, clicking Jennie's profile. Oh, she posted something on her story! Eagerly, she clicked it. She saw a picture of a vending machine and a caption: "coffee is the only thing keeping me going today..." It was posted a minute ago!

Rosé lit up, she knew the vending machine's exact location! It wasn't too far from her classroom actually, now that she thought about it. She raised her hand, "Professor? May I use the restroom?" Her professor nodded, "Of course, Rosé!"

Rosé excitedly exited the classroom, smiling at the thought of Jennie. She couldn't wait to see Jennie's surprised expression. Rosé ran down a stairwell, and then froze. She saw Jennie in front of the vending machine laughing and talking. She was with another person. Another girl. Who could it be?

Rosé squinted, and her heart dropped. It was none other than Irene. She clenched her fists tightly, usually she wasn't the clingy type, but she couldn't help feeling angry because she knew Irene had a thing for Jennie.

It was a relief that Rosé could hide easily next to the stairwell, it would've been awkward if she walked in on both of them.

Jennie said something, probably a joke. Irene laughed in response, and it annoyed Rosé because even though she hated to admit it, Irene was stunning. A visual perfection. Incredibly easy on the eyes. She was so petite and perfect. Rosé also couldn't help noticing that Irene was a bit shorter than Jennie. Irene's height was so cute. Rosé hated her own height. She was noticeably much taller than Jennie. And to be quite honest, it made her feel so awkward and stupid sometimes. She felt like a giant, clumsy and stupid girl whenever she was with Jennie in public. But this ... in front of her own eyes...it made her feel so...what was the word...jealous. She was insanely jealous of Irene. 

Irene was struggling to open her can of coffee. ...she was probably faking that...trying to make Jennie help her. Rosé shook her head in disapproval. 

But of course, Jennie would help Irene. How could she resist? 

She watched as Jennie took a step closer to Irene, her height towering over the shorter girl who looked helpless and cute.

Jennie had an amused smirk on as she extended a hand out, her palm facing upwards, "Here. You look like you need some help."

Irene blushed and nodded shyly, handing the can of coffee to Jennie who opened it very easily and quickly. She handed the can back to Irene, who thanked her, "Ugh, thank you so much Jennie. I don't know what I'd do without you." Jennie winked at her, "I guess we're going to have to be coffee buddies now. Seeing how you cannot open a can of coffee, even if your life depended on it." The two girls laughed and walked away.

Rosé blinked, leaning against the stairwell railing, all sorts of thoughts sending her mind spiraling. She made her way back to class, shaking those thoughts away. Irene was definitely crushing on Jennie, but she wasn't throwing herself at Jennie. Afterall...she knew that Jennie was taken. Any sane person wouldn't go after a taken person, right? And even if Irene made a move at Jennie, there's no way Jennie would cheat on Rosé...right? No way, no way...Jennie was better than that. Right?

The bell rang. It was lunchtime. Finally. Felt like an eternity.

Rosé made her way swiftly to the lounge room that has sort of become her and Jennie's special meeting place at school. There were so many memories made in that room.

Jennie wasn't here yet. Rosé threw her tired body on the sofa, staring up at the ceiling. Her mind wandered back to Jennie and Irene. And the burning question. If it came to the worst scenario, would Jennie cheat on Rosé? Sure, she wasn't considered an angelic student here at school. But cheating? No...she knew Jennie so well. Jennie was a good person at the core...she would never cheat on her. A small voice echoed a question in her mind, 'And beating up other students is considered being a good person?' She's had countless conversations with Jennie about her...extracurricular activities at school with that damn group of bullies. They have a freaking groupchat to literally discuss their targets and ask Jennie for her permission before beating up students. They're literally a gang at this point...and Jennie was their gang leader. They all looked up to Jennie. Rosé has asked Jennie numerous times if beating up people was neccessary. And Jennie really believed so. That was not the way a good person thinks. Rosé hated to admit it but she knew that her girlfriend's morals were ed up. Sometimes at school, Rosé really wondered if the Jennie she saw beating up other people was the same Jennie that hugs her and holds her hand and kisses her so gently, promising everything would be okay. 

Jennie may be a good person when she's with Rosé but she definitely was not. And Rosé was not so innocent either. She was considered a bystander. She realized that she is literally dating the gang leader of a group of bullies that beats up other students for pure fun. She has opportunity and a powerful influence over Jennie. She could have told Jennie to stop beating up other humans. But she never stepped in. The Rosé before Jennie came into her lfie would never have let this happen. Was Jennie a bad influence on her? And the even bigger question. If Jennie was capable of hurting other students physically and emotionally, then what was stopping her from cheating on her girlfriend? Jennie Kim was not a good person. She would definitely cheat on her girlfriend if given the opportunity. It broke Rosé's heart. But she knew deep down it was a fact.

The door opened. Jennie walked in. "What took you so long, Jennie? I've been waiting for so long..." Rosé whined. Jennie chuckled, "Oh, I was getting coffee hahah"

"Really? With who?" Rosé asked, knowing full well it was with Irene. Jennie looked away, "Oh, by myself...I was just sleepy haha..." Rosé couldn't believe what she was hearing. Jennie just lied to her. And she did it so naturally. She didn't even hesitate before lying. Wow.

"Anyways, enough about me. I need my daily hug from my Rosie. That's better than any coffee." Jennie said as she came to her.

Rosé sat up as Jennie sat next to her. Her heart started beating insanely fast as the familiar scent of Jennie reached her nose. Jennie smiled at her warmly and hugged her, "I missed you, Rosie." Rosé sighed deeply, closing her eyes as she let Jennie's warm body embrace her. "Believe me...I missed you more."

Jennie pulled away, "How was guitar class?" as she reached in her backpack for her phone.

Rosé laughed, "Jennie. You always mix it up. Guitar class is the last class of the day. Before lunch it's music theory. How many times do I have to tell you?"

But Jennie wasn't even listening. She was on her phone, fingers texting away quickly. Rosé bit her lips, feeling a little hurt, "Jennie? Hello?"

Jennie could not hear her. Rosé just does not exist when Jennie's phone is in her hands. She hated it everytime Jennie was texting.

"Jennie!"

Nothing.

"Jennie Kim!" She shouted.

Jennie looked up, surprised, "What is it? You scared me."

Rosé sighed, but her heart weakened as Jennie smiled at her.

"Nothing...it's just that whenever you're on your phone you just-"

Rosé had it. Jennie's eyes were back glued to her phone, her fingers busy again.

She felt so angry. She stood up, snatching Jennie's phone from her.

"JENNIE KIM! Stop texting and listen to me for once, would you? Who are you even texting?" She shouted, looking at her phone. 

(FROM jinhee:) young arts academy groupchat: hey jennie, there was this girl in my class and you would totally hate her. she has no respect at all, i swear. 

(FROM suji:) young arts academy groupchat: yeah, i agree with jinhee, i hate her too! she literally won't stop talking. she never stops talking about gossip that is not even true most of the time. 

(FROM: jinhee:) young arts academy groupchat: FORREEEAL!!!! and she is ugly as too. she literally acts like she's some sort of pretty thing...but have you seen her arms? they're huge! i'm surprised there's even a uniform that fits for her size. i wonder what her weight is...

(TO:) young arts academy groupchat: omg are u serious...i hate those kinds of people the most. lol. fat pigs that don't know when to shut their mouth and think they're pretty? i heard enough. find out her last class. we're gonna teach her a lesson today right after school ends. 

(FROM: sunwoo:) young arts academy groupchat: im in her last class. it's the photography class next to the media center on the first floor. i'll pretend to invite her to the café for a date or something. she is like head over heels for me. lmao. lets meet behind the school. i'll bring the pig lol.

(TO:) young arts academy groupchat: sounds good. see u guys soon lol cant wait. also im so surprised girls even like you sunwoo hahah i mean, you're considered pretty popular among alot of the girls at this school lolol but you're literally so stupid lol jk i love u tho at least ur easy on the eyes. i mean, ppl have to be either attractive or have a great personality. this girl we're talking about is an ugly fat pig. who talks too much gossip. she has zero good traits. she's the worst type of human. bring your baseball bat sunwoo. i'll have the first few swings at her. im going to make sure she's ed up before sending her home.

Rosé cursed quietly under her breath. She tossed the phone on the couch. "Are you serious Jennie? Really?? Beating people up, again? It hasn't even been a month into the school year yet. And you're doing this again? Calling people pigs too? Seriously who do you think you are?" 

Jennie stood up too now, she looked angry, "LOOK. YOU don't get to question this part of me! You have no idea or even a small bit of understanding for what I do! These friends have been with me since I was in pre-school. We have a special bond and understanding that only our group has. Nobody else has this with me. Not even you, Rosé. And besides, you already knew this. It's not like you had no idea. You knew this before dating me. You knew the whole package deal. You knew what you were getting yourself into. YOU asked for this. Just because you get to sleep with me doesn't make you someone that gets to tell me what to do or what not to do."

Rosé felt her heart wrench at that last line, "Oh, really? Is that what you think of me, Jennie? Someone you sleep with? That's honestly so low of you to even say that."

Jennie rolled her eyes, annoyed, "Look, you know I didn't mean it in that way. Don't change the subject. Don't make this about us. You know I love you."

Rosé scoffed, "Well you know what? You should have thought of that before saying something like that. And yes I used to think you loved me. But now? I'm not so sure, honestly. Do you even know what love is? I guess I should point out that and love aren't the same thing before you answer."

Jennie laughed in disbelief, "Are you ing serious with me now? Why are you being so ing stingy today? Like did something bad happen? You fail a test? Someone mean to you? If so, I'm sorry, like I'll try to make you feel better. But don't put it on me. That's immature. And don't ever question my feelings, Rosé. And yeah, , I guess before I met you I was a player. I had flings and one night stands like they were candy. But I've never told anyone I loved them before. It's not something I say lightly. And you know I love you. We both know everything about each other. So don't ever question me again about my love. It's hurtful to say the least and pretty goddamn disrespectful."

Rosé ran her hands through her hair in frustration, "What are you gonna do? Take a swing at me with a baseball bat and teach me a lesson or something? Make me a target in your stupid groupchat? And don't act like you know everything about me, Jennie Kim. You don't pay attention anymore. You don't care about me anymore. You always forget what classes I'm in and always ask me the same damn question. You don't even try to remember because you just don't care!"

Jennie kicked a chair in anger, "God damn it, Rosé! Why are you making such a big ing deal about this? I'm sorry about calling you disrespectful, but I would never hurt you okay? But don't let something stupid like me forgetting some of your classes to cause a fight! Of course I care about you, why are you letting these small things bother you? And you don't even know my schedule probably. Who remembers stupid things like that?"

Rosé stared at the chair that was fallen over, "Textiles, dance, singing, sewing, color theory and pitch study! I remember all your classes because I care about you! I am so interested in every aspect of your life and don't want to miss one detail because I just love you that much, okay? But you can't even remember ONE damn class. You don't care. It's simple as that. And you are ALWAYS on your phone these days. Especially since after our trip to Japan in the summer. Did you get used to me already? Did I bore you after Japan? Are you sick of listening to me talk to you? You don't care or pay attention to me and always text away when you're with me unless I can offer you ual pleasure. Don't deny it Jennie. Because if you do you'll just be lying to my face again."

Jennie looked absolutely shocked and frustrated, "Are you out of your mind Rosé!? How could you even accuse me of not caring except ? Do you really think so lowly of me?! I am sorry about being on my phone a lot though, THAT, I can work on. I'm sorry about that really. And not knowing your classes is my fault for not paying attention. I'll fix that too, I promise! But don't let my stupid shortcomings make you think that I don't care about you! You could never bore me or make me sick. I love you so much. So don't think otherwise, please. And what the hell are you talking about the lying? I've never ing lied to you about anything before. I have nothing to hide from you at this point!"

Rosé put her hands on her hips, "Really? Well, that's another lie too. Look, I SAW YOU Jennie with Irene. You guys getting coffee together. And honestly? I was upset when I saw you guys together because I know she has a thing for you. It's so obvious, the way she looks at you. How could I not feel even a little upset? But I didn't want to come off as clingy and ask you to not talk to Irene or anything. I was going to forget about it. I was going to give you the respect and privacy you deserve and are entitled to. I didn't want to worry about her. But after you lied that you got coffee by yourself. It ing gave me a reason to worry. So explain yourself! I think I deserve that, don't you think?"

Jennie was speechless. Rosé slumped down on the sofa, with her head in her hands, she felt tears, "Please...say something....Jennie?"

Jennie went on her knees, facing Rosé as she leaned on Rosé's legs, putting her hands on Rosé's waist, "Rosie...I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry about lying. I only lied because I remember how jealous you got that time we met Irene in the café. I didn't want to make you jealous because there's nothing to be jealous about. I lied because I thought I was doing the right thing at that time. But now, of course, I realize it was wrong for me to lie. I'm so sorry Rosie...please forgive me. I am sorry about everything you said. I really am, Rosie...please give me the chance to redeem myself. I love you too much. Please..."

Rosé sighed, looking away as tears rolled down her cheek, she leaned against the sofa. 

Jennie got up, sitting next to her. She held her hands as she stared into Rosé's eyes, "Rosie...you know I love you right? Please forgive me..."

Jennie wiped Rosé's tears away, pulling her into a hug, "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...please don't cry."

Rosé sighed, hugging the older girl back, "I know you're sorry. You're forgiven, just please don't ever lie to me again. Even if you think I might get jealous, it's a whole lot better than me feeling hurt by being lied to. Okay?" Jennie nodded, hugging her tighter, "Of course, Rosie. Never again."