Chapter 9

Love under the Plum Blossom

[Green Hill]

Eunha was sipping on tea at her sheltered pavilion that was facing the water near the Fox Cave when Yewon came.

"Aunt!"

Eunha smiled, "You're here."

"Yea.."

"Alright, I will be going to the Eastern sea in a few days, on my way back I'll go and visit Fourth Brother's Manor. While I am gone, stay in Green Hill. Do not cause anymore trouble for me."

Yewon smiled and sat next to Eunha, "Yes, Aunt but why are you going to the Eastern sea?"

Eunha placed her teacup down, "The Eastern Sea Water Mornarch just gave birth to a son, I just received an invitation to the banquet."

"But you have never liked these sorts of social occasions and banquets.. Why is the Water King of the Eastern Sea so lucky this time? He managed to invite Aunt over."

"Normally, I don't like these sorts of social occasions. However, back in the day, Mother had difficulty giving birth to me. Luckily, the midwife of the Water King's Family helped saving Mother a lot of suffering. They're inviting me this time for a happy occasion. It doesn't feel right to forget the kindness they've shown."

Eunji and Minju ran over to where Eunha and Yewon sat.

"Eunji, Minju."

Eunji and Minju bowed to Eunha and Yewon.

"Young Highness, you're back."

"What orders do you have aunt?"

Eunha smiled, "Minju go and fetch the biggest luminous pond from the pond."

Minju smiled, "You're giving a gift?"

"How did you know?"

Eunji chuckled, "Everyone in Green Hills knows that Great Lady likes giving luminous pearls. The rank of the immortal and Great Lady's mood that day will determine the size of the luminous pearl being gifted."

Minju nods, "Back then when Fox King stayed in the cave. There were plently of luminous pearls in the pond. Now you can almost see the bottom of the pond."

"Enough talking go and fetch it."

"Yes, my prodigal Great Lady."

Minju ran off to the pond.


[Nine Heavens]

The court meeting just ended and three immortals were talking on their way.

"This Water King of the Eastern Sea is merely preparing a banquet for his one-month old baby. He's taken several days of absence from the Imperial Court Meeting."

Another nods, "That's right, it's just a banquet. Does he need to go through so much trouble?"

They stopped halfway as the third spoke up, "Do you not know? The Great Lady from Green Hill will be attending the Eastern Sea's dinner banquet. This Great Lady is afflicted with an eye ailment, can't be exposed to bright light. However, the glazed coral tiles of the Easter Sea Palace are excessively bright and dazzling. That's why the Water King has been busy searching everywhere for water lily leaves to wear together to cover anything that is overly bright."

Another immortal joins them, "Is the the Great Lady you are referring to the Fox King Kim Yu's daughter, High Goddess Kim Yu?"

"That's correct. In this world, this is the only high goddess worthy of us to address as Great Lady."

"Right.. To be able to catch a glimpse of Great Lady is truly not easy. That's why I have a gift prepared. Fresh peach blossom facial cream. It would surely be the utmost honor to gain Great Lady's favor."

The immortals nod and chuckled.

"Wasn't she the one whom has an engagement with the Crown Prince."

Another adds on, "Heavenly Lord personally agreed to this engagement 300 years ago. I thought I would be able to attend the Crown Prince's wedding banquet. However, in these 300 years.. there has not been any word of the two tying the knot."

"That's right.. even though His Highness has a son but the position of his main wife has remained vacant. Great Lady has remained in the valley of Green Hill ever since she was born. Nobody's invitation has been able to invite her out, the two have not even met yet."

Eunbi then joins, "For that part you guys must not know then."

"What?"

Eunbi chuckled, "Great Lady Kim Eunha was a disciple of the Thousands Valley."

"Right... there was some word of that. Some said she is friends with the Butterfly Mornarch."

Eunbi nods, "However, the two have yet to be married but they are in no hurry. It is quite a wonder."

"It is indeed strange."

"But the Water Mornarch of the Eastern Sea is quite lucky. Great Lady has never been to a social occasion or a banquet. Yet, he managed to invite her. It is such an honor."

"It is quite an honor. But the Eastern King has been quite anxious for a few days. He never expected Great Lady would be attending the banquet. He even invited the North Sea King. Yesterday, the Crown Prince brought the Young Highness to the Northern Mountains and would be attending the banquet along the way. When the time comes, the three of them will run into each other at the banquet. Water King of the Eastern Sea is in panic now, unsure what mayhem may occur during the banquet."

Eunbi chuckles, "Who is the Great Lady of Green Hill? Does she have an existing feud with Lord Jungkook and the Water King of North Sea?"

"You are young, might be unaware of this. Before the great war between the Celestial Tribe and the Demon Tribe. Great Lady once had an engagement with the then Second Prince. It was originally a well-matched engagement. But somehow, Jimin fell in love with the maid of Great Lady and was determined to call off the engagement."

Eunbi nodded, "So the Water King of North Sea wanted to marry Great Lady's maid even if it meant offending Fox King Kim Yu? How good-looking with that maid?"

"I have seen her before. Back then, the second prince was holding her by the arm and kneeling before the Heavenly Lord and asked to marry her. She is indeed a rare beauty. However, compared to the lady of Fox King Kim Yu's family, her beauty is far from it. I have never seen the lady but I've heard Great Lady is as beautiful or more beautiful than the Fox Queen."

Another immortal chuckled, "I have had a chance to catch a glimpse of the Great Lady. Back then, I was still a young boy under the Heavenly Lord. I followed the Heavenly Empress to High God Seokjin's land to view Plum Blossoms. I happened to see Great Lady dancing lightly and gracefully atop the plum tree branches. Because I was far away, I only saw the swath of the red dress among the plum blossoms. That view was exceptionally alluring. Exceptionally beautiful."

Eunbi sighed, "Even such a beautiful woman can be rejected."

The immortals nod, "Heaven's will is difficult to predict."

"Prehaps this is why Great Lady is unwilling to leave Green Hill."

"Heaven's will is difficult to fathom."

Someone tapped Eunbi's shoulder with a fan, she turned and saw Hoseok, glancing back at the immortals before facing Hoseok.

She stepped closer to Hoseok as Hoseok moved back, "You scared me."

"You just love to stir up trouble. You are everywhere. Luckily, I don't have to marry you."

Eunbi gave a fake smile, "Even if you wanted to marry me, I wouldn't wed you."

With that she walked off, Hoseok watched as she left and smirked.


[Northern Mountains]

Galla walked up to his father and bowed, "Father."

Jungkook turned to Galla, "I've received an invitation from Water King of Eastern Sea. Do you want to go to the Eastern Sea?"

Galla shakes his head.

Jungkook sips on his water, "Fine, then I'll go alone."

"Are you going to leave me behind?"

"This is your own choice."

Galla pouts, "Then I'll just go."

Jungkook smiles slightly and pats Galla's head.

Lisa approached Jungkook, "Your Highness, today is the tenth day."

"You can leave now then."

"Aren't you going to my brother's Eastern Sea? I can lead-"

Jungkook cuts her off, "No need."

"I'll take my leave then."

Lisa leaves after she bows and Jungkook faces Galla.

"Sit down then."


[Green Hill]

Sanha arrived at Green Hill and walked towards the Fox Cave, Minju saw him from the bridge.

"Who are you?"

Minju ran over, "How dare you tresspass into Green Hill."

Sanha turned and cupped his hands, "Young Man, I am the Star Lord Sanha. I came to visit the Young Princess of Green Hill, Kim Yewon."

"Sanha?"

"Yes."

Minju scanned him up and down continuously for a long time, out of curiosity while smiling as Sanha gave a nervous chuckle due to Minju's actions.

"Sanha!"

Yewon ran over, "I haven't been able to sleep, waiting for you. You're finally here!"

Sanha smiles, "Your Highness!"

"Let's go inside and talk."

Minju stops them, "Your Highness!"

Yewon and Sanha turn to him.

"The valley contains many of Great Lady's priced possessions.. Outsiders are not allowed to enter the cave without permission."

Yewon turns to Sanha, "Sorry Sanha.. There is indeed a rule that states outsiders cannot enter the valley."

Sanha nods, "It doesn't matter if I go in or not. But will Your Highness need to prepare? This journey will take two months' time."

"Two Months?"

"Yes."

Yewon glances at Minju who looks at Sanha as they both give an awkward smile. Minju sighs as he enters Eunha's room in the Fox Den with a tray which carries a pot of tea and places it next to Eunha who was sitting at her table. Eunha places her teacup down as Minju help her scoop some to refill it.

"Minju, is there any way I can avoid going to the banquet at the Eastern Sea?"

Minju sighs, "You can't. A debt needs to be repaid. A favour needs to be repaid with a favour. No matter how capable you are, the debt still needs to be repaid."

Eunha took a sip of tea, "You're acting weird today. Who has provoked you?"

Minju just pouted as he looked away, "It's nothing."

Yewon pulls Minju aside away from Sanha, "I'm afraid aunt won't let me leave if she learns of this. So can you tell aunt a few days after I leave?"

Minju sighs and nods

Minju made funny faces as he recalled that scene.

Eunha placed her cup down, "Oh right."

"Where's my luminous pearl?"

Minju smiles weirdly, "Right! The luminous pearl."

Minju went and got a huge green luminous pearl, placing it in front of Eunha, "Great Lady, this is the biggest one in the pond."

Eunha hums and waves her hands as the pearl got smaller, she took it and then kept it in her sleeves.

"Minju, I'd like something from you."

"What is it?"

"Your tree branch, the journey to the Eastern Sea is long, if I were to lose my way, I could rely on it to find my way."

Minju fidgets, "Yes, my tree branches can give directions. It is perfect for a high goddess like Great Lady who likes to get lost."

Eunha looks at Minju, "You're acting odd today."

"No, I'm odd everyday."

Eunji who was standing next to Eunha raised an eyebrow as Minju gave his tree branches to Eunha.

"Great Lady, are you setting off to the Eastern Sea now?"

"Right, after I finish the banquet. I'll go to find Fourth Brother at the North. Keep watch of the Fox Den with Yewon while I'm away. Don't get into arguments... Eunji, join me tomorrow at the Plum Blossom Forest Tomorrow Morning."

Eunji bends her knees, "Yes, Great Lady."

Minju nods, "Fourth Uncle is indeed in the North these days, he said that his mount the Owl has gotten angry and flew back, so he has gone looking for Owl."

"You believe that?" Eunha stood up, "Every time Fourth Brother is angry at Namjoon, he uses that excuse. In these 300 years that I woke up, that Owl sure has ran off multiple times. I'm off."

Minju and Eunji bowed as Eunha left.

"Great Lady is so wise."

Eunji taps Minju, "Minju, what's wrong?" 

Minju sighs, "Young Highness has gone to the mortal realm to repay her debts again..."

"Again?"

Minju nods, "Don't tell Great Lady first.. Little Princess ordered that we keep mum about this."

Eunji sighs, "When will the Little Princess finish repaying her debt?"


[Mortal Realm]

Two rows of officials kneeled before the throne, "Long live your Majesty!"

"Rise."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

The officials then moved aside and it turns out the man on the throne is Yoongi. Yewon and Sanha used invisible magic to look at Yoongi from the outside.

"That's the Emperor?"

Sanha nods, "It is indeed the Emperor."

"Did he do something wrong to offend Heavenly Lord to be sent down to the mortal realm?"

"How can it be possible? He requested that he wants to come down to the mortal realm to experience trials."

"Experience trials?"

"I thought if Your Highness wants to repay a debt, this will be the best chance to."

"How?"

Sanha smiled, "I have planned it out for you."

They then walk to a pavilion with a lady who's sitting on it, with only her backview visible.

"Why did you bring me to the palace? Who is that?"

"Emperor Yoongi is an Emperor in the mortal realm. To be able to repay your debts, you have to be apart of his palace." Sanha pointed to the lady, "That is who you will be to repay your debt. That Noble Lady will soon fall into the pond and suffer an illness with no medication that can help her and finally pass away. You shall take advantage of this to continue writing her story. Hence, you will be Noble Lady Ju in the Palace."

"How pitiful."

"Not pitiful at all. Ever since she came to the palace, she only saw the Emperor twice and hasn't had the chance to sleep with him again. To be living such a life in the palace, the earlier she leaves, the earlier she is set free."

Yewon turned to Sanha, "Then if I become Noble Lady Ju, How do I repay my debts?"

"Use your discretion."

The lady then approached the pond and fell inside.

"Help!"

Sanha nudged Yewon, "Now!"

"Quick Pull her out!"

Yewon changes into a smoke and then enters the lady's body. The lady's maids pull her up and from afar, Sanha watched as she was brought off by the maids. Yewon then laid down in the chambers, coughing.

"They are all charlatans. Take a quick look, prescribe some medicine then brush us off. Are they taking advantage of us because our lady is not in favour?"

Yewon smiles, "Let it go. Go down then.. I'm tired."

The maid then bows, "Yes."

The maid turns and walks to the lantern, blowing out the candle before living. Sanha then appeared after the maid left.

"Young Highness."

Yewon smiles and gets up, "You're here!"

"I came to see if you adjusted well to the Palace and the rules."

"I've stayed at the Grand Summer Palace for quite some time, it is quite similar. Besides, I've been spitting out blood according to the Book of Destiny so I don't have to interact with anyone either."

Sanha nods, "Come spring, this illness will eventually get better. However the phoenix flower on your forehead is a bit troublesome."

Yewon touches the phoenix flower on her forehead, "Really? It's my birthmark."

"However, Noble Lady Ju does not have a birthmark on her forehead. Having such a flower appear out of thin air may attract suspicion."

"Will it?"

The next day, Yewon was standing at the pond with her maidservant. She was stoning when behind her the Empress and Consort Xian of the mortal palace. showed up.

"Who's that?"

"Is that Noble Lady Ju who has only seen the king twice?"

A maid nods as Yewon turns around, she walks towards them and kneels down with her maid.

"Greetings, Empress and Your Highnesses."

The Empress looks at Yewon, "Rise."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

The Empress looks at Yewon, "What's that makeup on your forehead? Wash it off quickly."

"This is my natural birthmark, I was born with it."

"Why don't I remember you having such a thing between your forehead?"

Yewon's maid bowed, "Your Highness, ever since my lady has been sick. This phoenix flower appeared on her forehead. The physician doesn't know where it came from.. He said that it is a good thing."

"What is so good about a birthmark that is so unpleasant to the eyes? It is so uncomfortable for me to look at."

Another Consort turns to the Empress, "Your Highness, in my opinion. It is a demonic flower."

"How could it be a demonic flower? This is clearly?"

"Clearly what?"

"It is clearly something that helped me recover from my illness."

"Your Highness, listen to what she says. It is absolutely hilarious."

The Empress snaps, "Alright enough. The mark on your forehead is strange. Your nameplate will be removed from selection for His Majesty's night visit in case this is something evil that will cause harm to His Majesty."

Yewon bends her knees, "Yes."

Yewon and her maid then moved to the side as The Empress left with the consorts.

Her maid stepped forward after they left, "This is clearly an excuse so Your Ladyship won't get a chance to sleep with His Majesty."

Yewon sighs and just decides to stand near the Emperor's study. Yoongi came out of his study and Yewon hid. Yoongi walks to the Empress.

"Empress."

"Your Majesty, where are you off to?"

"There are some officials waiting at the hall."

The Empress nods, "Then I shall not keep you waiting."

Yoongi then walks off with his retinues as the Empress walks over with a shaman to Yewon.

"Shaman, tell me what mark is that on her forehead?"

"Empress.. the mark on her forehead is a demonic flower."

The Empress turns to Yewon, "Since this is something that will harm His Majesty, then Noble Lady Ju.. you are forbidden to be near His Majesty or leave your palace."

Yewon sighs and bows.

 "Yes, Your Highness."

Yewon sighs and returns to her pavilion, sitting down as her maidservant comes over and pour her a cup of tea.

"My Lady.. Did you see the Emperor."

Yewon did not answer.

"Your Ladyship, it's okay if you did not see him. I have heard about His Majesty's itinerary over the next few days. We can follow His Majesty, you'll be able to see him then."

"The Empress doesn't allow me to leave my quarters.. I wouldn't be able to see His Majesty."


[Plum Blossom Forest]

Namjoon was eating a plum when he turned to Jimin, "You're asking me for some plums? Do you think the plums of my Ten Mile of Plum Tree Woods can be had by anyone in the world?"

"You are right, High God." Jimin cups his hands and bows, "Because of my wife's pregnancy cravings, she has been pestering me for plums. In this season, plum blossoms are blooming everywhere but as for plums. I'm afraid that in Heaven or Earth, there are only plums here. So may I dare ask that you grant me a few plums of immortality?"

Namjoon took another bite as Jimin looked up.

"Not much, just a few will do."

Namjoon places his plum down, "Since you have dared to ask I mustn't be too difficult on you, the previous second prince of the Celestial Tribe. After all I am your senior. Follow me then."

Jimin bows, "Thank you, High God."

"Don't thank me. If you want to thank, thank your identity. I am giving you plums out of respect of your father."

Namjoon walks off with Jimin following behind to get plums.


[Green Hill]

Minju and Eunji were at the sheltered pavilion near the fox cave. Minju was hitting up tea while Eunji was preparing some snacks.

"In a span of a day, both Great Lady and the Princess have left... next up is you. The Fox Den that has been lively for 300 years has become cold and cheerless again."

Eunji chuckled, "We won't be gone for long."

"I know... but I will be alone here."

Eunji smiles as Minju scoops tea for them both as they both sit down and enjoy the snacks.

"So you don't want me to leave?"

"Of course! Eunji.. I'll be alone, with the Young Princess gone."

Eunji giggles and pinches Minju's cheeks.

"How dare you pinch my cheeks!"

Minju pinches Eunji's cheeks as Eunji giggles but suddenly, Eunji stops giggling after she glanced at something.

"What's wrong?"

Minju turns to see Yuna arrived in a palanquin.

Eunji frowns, "Has she not given up?"

Eunji drinks her tea and then walks over to Yuna as Minju follow behind. The palanquin stops as a maid approach Eunji and Mijun.

The maid bends her knees, "My lady of the Northern Sea seeks an audience with Great Lady."

Minju was annoyed, "You come a dozen times a year. Aren't you tired?"

Eunji looks at Yuna, "What? You won't even come out of your palanquin this time? Why bother putting on a show?"

"My lady is with a child. It is not easy for her to move around."

Eunji and Minju were about to walk off.

"Wait!"

Yuna came out of her palanquin with another maid's help.

Eunji snapped, "Leave! Leave! She won't see you. I'm going back to my nuts."

Eunji walked back to the pavilion as she and Minju sat down and drank their tea. The maid then turned to Yuna.

"My Lady, although Kim Eunha of Green Hill is a high goddess revered around the world our North Sea is no less. Why must you see her?"

"I committed a wrong 300 years ago. It has troubled me since. Only by settling this matter, can I live my days in peace."

"I don't understand. Your Highness, we have a banquet to attend in the Eastern Sea. Let's hurry back."

Yuna sighs as she looks at Eunji and Minju who were laughing at the pavilion, 'I'll come again after the banquet."

Yuna then entered her palanquin and then left.

Eunji watches as she leaves, "Finally gone."


[Ten Miles Plum Blossom Forest]

Eunha was holding onto a stick of Plum Blossoms as she walked on the bridge. Seokjin was sipping on his tea when he saw Eunha.

"Eunha! Come sit."

Eunha smiles and approaches Namjoon sitting down as she placed the plum blossoms down and picked up the teacup, taking a sip.

"Eunha, a few days ago, Water King of the North Sea and his wife came to admire my plum blossoms. Because of pregnancy cravings, his wife has been pestering him for plums. You know that in this season, nowhere else in the world can plums be found except here. Since he asked me for shamelessly, I can't refuse him."

Eunha swirled her tea, "The plum trees belong to you, so do the plums. There's no need to explain to me."

Namjoon placed his cup down to scoop another cup of tea, "Look at you, your face is all green. It's just a few contraceptive plums."

"You gave them contraceptive plums?"

"What is it? You feel ashamed that I gave the sweet couple contraceptive plums? Don't worry. The contraceptive plums will only make their family temporarily unable to conceive a fifth child for a few dozen millennia. It won't cost them much happiness and won't cost me too much shame."

Eunha placed her teacup down, "Actually, whether they have a fifth baby has nothing to do with me."

"Then why are you still so bothered for them for?"

Eunha stood up, "What I'm bothered by is if Jimin hadn't cancel the engagement, then the consequent troublsome engagement wouldn't happen. While I was unaware, you and Father agreed on this engagement for me. Now, it has been 300 years. It's been increasingly awkward."

Namjoon stood next to Eunha, "Right.. The Heavenly Lord's family sure love to say vain words. They haven't even come to see me and your father to discuss your wedding date. Jungkook has now married Consort Yeri, who is greately favored by Heavenly Lord and also has an imperial great-grandson. He has even less intention of attending to this engagement with you. Continuing to delay like this isn't a good option. With the Heavenly Lord having to put this engagement, even if someone in this world would like to marry you he wouldn't dare to commit an offense against the Celestial Tribe."

Eunha smiles, "Fortunately, I am in no hurry to be married."

"You can't say that. It has been delayed for so long. Prehaps you might become the laughing stock of the world again. This won't do, I'll have to discuss this with your parents one day."

"Once I think that according to seniority, he should address me as Great Lady. According to age, he should address me as his senior. I just can't bring myself to be so cruel as to fulfill this engagement."

"Forget it. Let's not talk about this shameful mess with the Celestial Tribe. The Eastern Sea's banquet will start tomorrow. Sleep here tonight then leave tomorrow."

Eunha smiled, "That's what I was thinking."

Namjoon nods then turns to Eunha, "Right. Your Fourth Brother had me make two special jars of wine for him. They're buried under the tree by Jade Lake. Dig them out before you leave and deliver them to your Fourth Brother. Remember, do not spill them and do not drink them on the sly."

"What wine is it that I am not allowed to drink? How stingy. The little wine you have here isn't enough to fill my small jade flask."

"You really can't drink that wine. If you want to drink some, you can go to my cave tomorrow, and take as much as you can."

Eunha cups her hands, "Alright, I'll do as you command. High God."

Eunha then walks off to her Fourth Brother's room where he stayed while he was at the plum forest. She managed to find a tool and dug up the wine meant for Namjoon.

"Plum Blossom Wine? I will drink it even if you said I can't."

Eunha opens the bottle and smells it, "The plum blossom wine is for drinking in the sky. The win in that wine cellar of your Cave is for the taking. Can't miss out on the either."

Eunha then flew up to a tree branch holding the bottle, "Medical expertise? Brewing wine is Seokjin's true expertise."

She smiled and started drinking the wine as she stared at the moon.