Chapter 5: Supermarket

7 Days

SUPERMARKET | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

 

FRIDAY

 

Looking at the list that your mother has given you, you hummed as you walk towards the supermarket. Typically, you will always accompany your mother at the store however, today she’s not feeling well so you volunteer to go alone.

 

Scanning the list, it will take a long time for you to finish since the list is so long and surprisingly, there are barely people inside the store. You grabbed the shopping cart and headed straight to the vegetables & fruits station. Looking at the list again, it looks like your mother wants you to buy every vegetable.

 

Does she need all of these?

 

Since it’s not crowded, you started to enjoy shopping. Not noisy, and not packed with people. You hate it when there’s just too many people scrambling to get what they need before it's gone.

 

Finally, you picked up some celery and put it in a plastic bag. Taking a look at the list, you checked if you missed something before leaving the area. Then, you walk towards the meat section.

 

Ground Beef

 

You began to scan the area, however, you can’t find it anywhere. You decided to check again just in case, you saw an employee walking towards your direction so you walk at him and ask.

 

“Excuse me, may I ask where is the ground beef?”

 

“I’m sorry but a customer already grabbed the last pack. If you want, you can come back tomorrow.”

 

“Oh. it’s alright. Thank you,” you said in dismay.

 

If only I came a bit early, maybe I could get the last one.

 

You grabbed the other meats that were on the list then headed to the snacks aisle.

 

Your favorite place in the store. You happily walk towards the area and a smile creeps in your mouth. After getting a few snacks that were on the list, you began to shop for your snacks. Your mother never liked you for eating chips all the time, that’s why you decided to sneak all of those in your room.

 

You found your favorite snack and was about to get it, however, it is placed at the top of the shelf. You tilted your head, confused about why they suddenly rearranged the setup. You went near the shelf and tried to reach the snack. But due to your short height, your hands can’t even touch it.

 

Feeling frustrated, you jumped and tried to reach it once again, but still failed. You groan and pouted. You walked back to where your cart is and walked away, feeling downhearted. It was your favorite snack amongst others and you were craving for it. You made a mental note to complain later.

 

You went to the other aisles to finish your task. As you were about to grab a carton of milk, someone tapped your shoulder and you almost cursed out loud. You turned around and saw a guy wearing a black hoodie and a mask, holding your favorite snack and tossed it to you, then he left without saying anything.

 

You stared at the snack then at him who was walking away from you. You hurriedly put down the snack and the milk, then run with your cart towards him.

 

“Wait!”

 

The guy halted his steps and turned around. You huff then you faced him.

 

“T-thank You. If it wasn’t for you, I won’t be able to eat my favorite snack!” you beamed.

 

He just nodded and started to walk away, but you grabbed his arm that made him turn back at you. You caught him glaring at you, so you awkwardly removed your hand from his.

 

“I-I j-just want to ask how did you know that I was trying to get this earlier?”

 

He rolled his eyes and said, “I saw an ant trying to jump to a shelf and I felt bad so I picked it up for you. Happy?” he walks away.

 

A-ant?

Is he mocking my height?!

He’s not even that tall!

 

“Did you just call me an ant?” you can’t help but raise your voice, feeling offended by what the guy has said.

 

“Yeah, ant,” he said in a bored tone.

 

“Hey! You’re not even that tall! Kim Namjoon is much taller than you!” you said then walk passed him, but as you passed by, he took the snack that he gave you earlier from your cart.

 

“Hey! That’s my snack,” you said and attempted to take it back, however, he raised his hand with the snack above his head, making it hard for you.

 

“You should be thankful I got this for you, instead of making fun of my height.”

 

“But it was you who started it! C’mon give it back please!” you whined.

 

He scoffed.

 

“No. I will put it back on the shelf.” he walks towards the snack section, but you start chasing him.

 

“Alright, alright! You are taller than Kim Namjoon. Happy?”

 

“Are you hoping that will make me feel better?”

 

He put back the snack from where it was placed. He put down his shopping basket and crossed his arms.

 

You walked towards him and glared at him, but something caught your eyes. You noticed the ground beef from his basket. You swiftly took it then put it on your cart.

 

“Hey! That’s mine!”

 

“So it was you who took the last pack? Since you won’t give back my snack, I will take this instead. I will be in much trouble if my mom finds out that I didn’t buy her the ground beef.” you said and start walking away from him.

 

You heard the crumpled sound of the snack and his footsteps coming. He ran and stood in front of you, blocking you from walking away.

 

“Fine! Let’s trade” he reached his hand to you while clutching the snack.

 

“No, I changed my mind. I don’t need that snack anymore,”

 

“C’mon, I need that beef! And besides you are stealing the beef from me.”

 

“S-stealing? You haven’t paid for it yet, so it’s not yours yet”

 

He ruffles his hair and sighed, “I can’t believe I am arguing to you over a ground beef! Just hand over that to me please. You can just come back here tomorrow to buy it!”

 

“So is you,”

 

“Look, today is my only day off. I don’t know when will I have my next, so please,”

 

His eyes suddenly widened then avoided his gaze from you.

 

“Nevermind, you can have it. I don’t need that beef anymore,” he said and walks passed you.

 

You suddenly felt bad for the guy. It was not your intention to take his ground beef, you just got mad because he mocked you. You looked back at him and saw him going to the cashier. You run towards him then put back the beef on his basket. He immediately looked at you.

 

“You seemed sad while you were walking. I’m sorry for being childish,” you said and bowed slightly. You heard him chuckled so you looked at him, but he suddenly nodded then walked towards the cashier.

 

“Tchh. not even a thank you,” you said and then walk back to where your cart is.

 

You mentally facepalm and laughed in disbelief thinking about what just happened. You can’t believe you argued over a snack and ground beef.

 

But speaking of the snack.

 

“Aish! He didn’t even give me back my snack!”

 

You thanked the employee and walked outside the grocery store while holding 2 heavy plastic bags. You forgot that you bought a lot of stuff, so here you are struggling to carry the plastic bags to your home. You made a mental note to tell your brother to accompany you next time.

 

“Hey!”

 

You halted and were surprised by the voice behind you. You looked back and saw the guy again leaning against the wall. He walks towards you then you watch him take something from his plastic bag.

 

My snack!i

 

He put the snack inside of one of the plastic bags, then left. You were taken back but you smiled.

 

“Thank You!” you yelled.

 

He waved his hand to you without turning back. You just laughed and walked towards your house.

 

 

---

 

XOXO