Chapter 3: Ramen

7 Days

Wednesday

7:00 PM

 

You are hungry.

 

So you decided to go to your favorite ramen restaurant. The restaurant is just small, and not very crowded. it's not fancy either but it feels homey for some reason. You walked in and sat at the far end corner. You like that spot because no one can disturb you.

 

You ordered your usual ramen.

 

Suddenly, a man with a black cap and wearing a mask walks at you. He stood for a bit and said in a low voice,

 

“Excuse me, but can I sit with you?” you were taken back and moved your head on the side to check if the restaurant is full. But to your surprise, it’s quite empty.

 

“Sir, there’s a lot of empty spots there. Why would you want to sit here?” you said trying hard not to be rude.

 

It was not your intention, but you are just confused about why the man wants to sit at your place. Sure, it’s the farthest, and no one will pass by unless it is the waiter. But still...

 

“You are actually sitting on my favorite spot,” he said.

 

“So? This is my favorite spot too,” you said and glared at each other.

 

You are both stubborn. Seems like none of you will give up on your staring contest, you did the honors. You looked away and cleared your throat.

 

“Fine,” you said in an annoying voice and he instantly sits across you.

 

You watched him raised his hand, and take an order when a waiter came in swiftly. You looked at your window, but you can’t help but listen when he was talking to the waiter. He ordered two spicy ramen and a lot of appetizers.

 

Is he seriously going to eat all of that?

 

You took out your phone and browse, however you could feel that someone is watching you. You looked up and saw the guy staring at you.

 

You blinked and said, “what?” but he just shakes his head and looked out at the window.

 

You stayed quiet until the foods came. You ate your ramen not minding the guy across you, but you can’t help but glance at him, amazed by the guy’s appetite. From his ramen to dumpings, to kimchi pancakes, to tteokbokki, and to chicken wings. The guy eats nonstop making you think if he staved himself for a week.

 

He then looks at you. “You want some?” he offered but you shook your head.

 

“Nah, I’m good. Thanks tho” you said but he seems to not buy it.

 

He put his appetizers at the center of the table. “Take some. I won’t be able to eat all of these,”

 

I don’t think so. You want to laugh at him.

 

He signaled for you to take some food so you have no choice but to obey. At first, you took one chicken wing, but he doesn’t seem to be satisfied at it and glared at you. You sighed and took more until he is no longer glaring. Only the sounds of utensils and chewing can be heard as you two eat quietly.

 

But little did you know, every time you will take appetizers, he will smile a little. He recalled when he first stepped in at the restaurant. He was surprised to see someone sitting on his usual spot. Normally, he will visit the restaurant to eat after his work since there are barely any customers at this hour and will sit at the far end corner so no one can bother him. Surprisingly, sitting across the lady, he wasn’t bothered at all instead, he is actually enjoying her company. 

 

You could feel someone staring at you. You looked up and saw the guy staring at you intensely, you wondered why. However, his small and rounded eyes feel like its hypnotizing you and can’t help but stare back. Both of you stared at each other until a waiter interrupted.

 

“Sir here is your take out order and just to let you know our restaurant is closing in 10 minutes,” you both looked at the waiter in shock. The waiter placed the plastic bag on the table and left.

 

How long have we been here?

 

You cough and looked away while the guy awkwardly shifts his eyes on his wrist clock. He stood up and took the plastic bag and went to the cashier. You also took your bag and went to pay. You watched the waiter handed back the card to the guy and he left. You took out your wallet and handed the money but the waiter looked at you confusingly.

 

“Miss, the guy already paid for both of your meals.”

 

“What?!” you said and hurriedly bowed at the waiter and run outside hoping to catch up on the guy.

 

 

You saw him outside of the restaurant, leaning on the wall. He looked at you and handed the plastic bag on you.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“For you,” he said and then looked away.

 

“I didn’t order any take-outs. Anyway, why did you paid for my meal?”

 

“Just think of it as a payment for letting me sit with you, and this is for you. It looks like you were very hungry because you ate all of my appetizers.”

 

What?

 

You facepalm and feel ashamed all of a sudden knowing that you ate everything.

 

“I didn’t know that. I am sorry,” you said and lowered your head, embarrassed to look at him.

 

You heard him chuckled. “No worries. It makes me happy that you enjoyed your meal. Here take this.”

 

“No! I can’t take that! I am already thankful that you paid for my meal. But you shouldn’t do that. I can pay for myself, you know.”

 

“Just take this or else I will just throw this away.” he insisted.

 

“Why would you throw it! You can just take it home.”

 

“C’mon! Just take this!” he said and forcefully put the plastic bag on your hand.

 

“Don’t forget to eat, ok? You can’t starve yourself for any reason,” he said and waved his bye and left.

 

 

 

 

You just stood there flabbergasted and stared as his figure walks away. You don’t know the reason why the guy mistook you of starving yourself when you just happened to craved ramen tonight.

 

---

I wrote this after I ate ramen. 

XD