Chapter 1: Snacks

7 Days

Monday

You harshly closed your book and rested your head on it. You cannot remember how many sleepless nights you had just to study for your upcoming major exam. You suddenly remember yourself one year ago, when you also had countless sleepless nights just to study for the university entrance exam, which you never thought that you will pass.

You had to pinch yourself to see if you were dreaming but you realized it was the reality when your mother fainted after seeing your test result. You were over the moon and your smile never faded for a couple of months, that your younger brother had to point it out saying you were scaring him by your creepy smile.

And here you are, having thoughts of giving up just because you are too lazy to study anymore. You sighed and stood up. Grabbing your jacket and phone, you head out to your favorite spot in the city. 

 

Han River

 

It started last year, a day before the exam day. You sneak out from your parents' house to walk for that night because you were stressed, and scared. You walked to the Han River and sat there. You never thought that place will be special for you because it gave you calmness, and that's how you started going there when you needed time alone.

And now, you are walking towards it, but you decided to stop by at the convenience store to buy a couple of snacks. Then, you walked towards your favorite spot that gives the best scenery of the river. You sit at the bench and start taking a snack from your plastic bag. You eat there while watching the fountain show from the bridge.

 

 

As you sit, you closed your eyes, wanting to hear the sound of the fountain. It makes your mind relax. You listen at it for a few minutes and opened your eyes. But you were startled when you heard something fell beside you, and you were even more surprised to see a guy sitting right next to you. You watched him making his bike stand, as you wondered why he was sitting at your favorite spot.

 

Did he perhaps not see her sitting here?

Or

He just doesn't care?

 

You stopped staring when he sat up straight and started reading a book. You turn back your attention to the bridge and continue eating your sandwich.

But after a while, you heard a stomach growling. You narrowed your eyes at him, but he is just reading his book as if nothing happened. You wondered why on earth he is reading a book in the middle of the night, with sunglasses on, while wearing a black baseball cap and a mask. Perhaps he is just a student preparing for the entrance exam that will take place next month.

You swallow the last remaining piece of your sandwich before putting back the wrapper of your sandwich in your plastic bag and take a mini kimbap roll. Your eyes are twinkling as you unwrap the roll.

Then, his stomach growls again. You watched him cross his legs and turn a page from his book and acted as nothing happened again. You sighed and glanced at your kimbap roll. You reached the food to him, signaling for him to take it.

"Don't worry I got lots!" you said and raised your plastic bag.

He slowly took your kimbap roll from you and bowed. You watched him face the other side and eat it. You smirked by the sight and took another snack from your bag.

A granola bar. You unwrap it and eat it. You noticed he faced the front again and continued reading his book.

 

He must be a smart student. You thought.

 

You averted your attention back on the river when his stomach growled again. He cleared his throat while reading his book. You sighed and threw the bag in between you two.

"I bought a lot of snacks from the store, so feel free to take some. I know you are busy studying for the exam, but it doesn't mean that you have to starve yourself. Just so you know, you are lucky that I am sharing my precious snacks to you." you said while looking at him, but he just stared at you.

"Look, just take another one. I am getting annoyed by your stomach's growling every minute!" you said in an annoyed voice.

He keeps staring at you, that you two had a staring contest for who knows how long until he averts his attention to your bag. You watched him picking snacks, and you giggled when he seemed to be debating what to choose between cheesecake and chocolate bar. He looked back at you when he heard you. You immediately put your poker face.

You cleared your throat and glared at him. "Just because I offered you my treasures, doesn't mean that you can take those two."

He both looked at them once again and pondered a bit before he handed over the chocolate bar to you. You almost want to laugh when you look at him because he seems to be regretting his decision. Instead, he bowed again to you and started eating his cheesecake. You shook your head in disbelief, amused by the guy.

"You are not a talker, aren't you?" you asked. He gazed at you and seemed hesitating to answer.

"It's okay if you don't want to answer. I know the feeling of an introvert" you said and smiled. 

You both turned your head back on the river. You don't know how many minutes have passed by, while you two eat your snacks quietly. But you liked the current atmosphere, unlike earlier when you felt awkward.

You took a glance at your phone and checked the time. It's already past midnight.

"Shoot!" you stood up in shock.

He seemed to be surprised by your sudden action and looked at you instantly. He watched you grab your phone, and ran away. But you stopped midway and turned around to the guy who is currently looking at you with widened eyes.

"You can take those remaining snacks! And Good luck with your exam. I hope to see you at my school, next year!" you shouted as you waved your hands at him, and ran towards your house.

He slowly raised his hand to wave, as he watched you run.

 

 

 

 

 

"Bye..." 

 

---

 

Any idea who the guy is?

Take a guess! 

 

See you in the next chapter!