Chess Game

My Favorite Fanfics : Super Junior

Title : Chess Game

Author : miyah16

Status : Completed

Pairing : Eunhae

My Thoughts : Great plot, humor, and mystery. 

 

~SPOILERS~ (Don't read if it you haven't read the story) (just my thoughts spread randomly)

The story is mostly told from Donghae's perspective. I like how the characters are a bit crazy and chaotic as they are in Super Junior. Eunhyuk comes off as a mysterious character, but no as mysterious as Donghae in the first glance.

The first chapter was a shock. It was placed and expressed so well. It was not the present but the point where the story started. Personally, I like these kinds of beginnings where everything that happens in the story connects to that point and every incident is a locus to that point. 

Eunhyuk had a hard time opening up to Donghae. But after Donghae proved his worth, he was seen as a useful element. Trust could have been an issue (the Classic Killer had made his moves on that) but they formed a nice team - all of them. 

 

If we talk about the romance between Eunhyuk and Donghae, it developed nicely. Eunhyuk was already in a relationship with Boa but he knew that for Donghae, his feelings were growing. He tried to ignore them but failed. Donghae, on the other hand, knew he was in love. In my opinion, he remained quite neutral about it. 

 

Around chapter four, I was suspecting everyone. 

After the chapter that showed the conversation between the Checkmate Killer and the Classic Killer, I knew who the Classic Killer was. I was pretty sure of it though for Checkmate Killer, I was about 95% sure. 

It could have been easier to see the killers are nothing but psychopaths born to kill because they find pleasure in it, people who don't have feelings. But they had feelings and they were expressed. They had a past that was horrible (something that's often seen in Japanese manga or anime).

The story had the right amount of humor in it. Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Henry, Kangin, and Yesung provided enough comic relief. But I suspected them as murderers too. (The author completely played with my feelings. That's what I love the most about this story. It got me completely invested like no other fanfiction has).

At the end, when it was pretty obvious who the Classic Killer was, I wondered what would be Donghae's take on it. I was very curious about his reaction. From what I had observed from reading mysteries, I thought, he would be disappointed because he looked up at that person so much and then he would let him get arrested. But I tried thinking about his feelings too. He had only one person left in his family, the person he loved the most. And that person loved him too. What would he do? Moreover, what would that person do? 

I'll say, I wasn't disappointed by their decisions. They showed their love for each other. A human being is a creature connected by feelings to his family. That point did not go missing. But at the same time, a criminal is a criminal. Balancing these two things is what made me love this story even more. 

Eunhyuk's decision of breaking up with Donghae wasn't completely surprising. Although I was sad, I think it was quite understandable. At least they got together in the end. 

And now the story continues in Chess Game: Lost Sins with a new case. (I made the cover for it :) )

 

It's been a long time since I last read this story. I've forgotten so many things. I love, love, love it so much. If I get time to read it again, I'll do it. It's my favorite Eunhae fanfiction.

Personally, I really like the stories that are mystery, thriller, action, and supernatural; and romance is a... sub-genre (?)

I want to thank the author for writing this amazing fanfiction. Love you so much ^_^

 

Which is your most favorite Eunhae fanfiction?