Chapter 2: The Palace

The Little Prince

Jiwon woke up in the early morning. He lay there for a minute to figure out that he was now in the royal palace instead of his apartment in Yeouido Island. This was the first time he had slept more than four hours in the last three days after he returned from Jeju Island. 

Once he woke up, he couldn't sleep anymore. He picked up his mobile phone and surfed the internet. All headline news was full of the photo of him receiving the imperial jade seal at the regent's inauguration ceremony. He looked at himself within a big-fat-great Hanbok in the picture, and said: "What an idiot!"

The following comments in the news were all negative, as expected.

"How can a rogue become the king? Koko" 
"Thief! He stole Prince Sunghoon's throne!" 
"I don't know what happened to His Majesty the King, why choosing a divorced fool, seriously?" 
"The tragedy of this country is that whoever came out of the womb first can be the ruler." 
"Tell you a more terrifying gossip, he is also a sodomist!"

"I really don't like this!" Jiwon murmured. He threw the cellphone aside, and it landed silently on the bedding.

He lay back and stared at the ceiling: "I don't like Hanok either." Since his childhood, he was so afraid of this traditional building because he always felt that ghosts would jump out from somewhere.

Thought of this, he sat up again, looking around at this oversized room in the dark, really worried that the palace would be haunted.

Then he saw the portrait that Jaijin painted for him in the corner.

Because he came here from the airport directly, the painting came along. He stared at the portrait and found himself looks solemn in it.

"Can't you make me more handsome?"

He felt regret for leaving in a hurry, and he didn't have the chance to get Jaijin's phone number. Maybe he could abuse his power just before his grandfather gets recovering from a cardiac stent procedure and then Jiwon will be off duty.

"I like this idea." Jiwon whispered.