Chapter 1: The Jeju

The Little Prince

The place where Lee Jaijin first saw the man was on the seaside of Jeju Island in winter. It was a remote place and also Jaijin’s favorite place. When he was lucky, he could enjoy the entire beach for several hours in the morning.

For sure, the sunset was more beautiful, but it was a cloudy day, and the thick clouds would not turn into sunset later this day. Jaijin was a little disappointed, and it was annoying that there was another preson on the beach. Why would someone come to grab this beach with Jaijin in such a cold and windy morning?

They stared at each other from a distance. When there’s only you and him, in between the whole sky, land and sea⋯it would become like this⋯So difficult to ignore each other. Jaijin wanted to wait for that person to leave, but after an hour ⋯Why didn't he leave? Jaijin began to think about whether he should leave first, and felt a bit want to have a cup of coffee.

Just when he wanted to go first, he saw the man standing up, but instead of leaving, that man headed for the sea and crouched down again at the edge of the tide.

"That man, isn't he going to commit suicide?" The temperature of the water wasn’t a joke, and he definitely won't want to swim.

"Hey, how are you?" Jaijin shouted at the man.

The man didn't respond, Jaijin yelled again in Japanese.

Even Chinese and English were used. No other language Jaijin could speak. At this time, he had already walked beside the person.

The squatting man looked up at him, "What?"

Jaijin was speechless, and felt so embarrassed.

Finally Jaijin said, “Coffee?"  The man didn’t speak, "I could pay." Jaijin added.

"Where? Is there a coffee shop nearby?"

"It takes ten minutes to drive. My car is there."

"Tell me how to get there, and I'm also driving." The man stood up.

So later they sat near the window of the coffee shop. After getting two cups of coffee at the counter, Jaijin stared at the man looking out of the window within the few seconds of walking back to the position.

"He looks so gorgeous!" Jaijin thought.

After sitting down, it was even more embarrassing. Jaijin didn't know what to say to a-first-met person, so they stared at each other and drank their coffee in silences.

"Are you local?"

Jaijin thought ”Thank god he speak first!“, he replied:”No, I live in Seoul, but I will stay here for a couple of months every year."

"Your accent is not like Seoul people."

"I was born in Busan, but I have lived in Seoul since I was twenty. Are you Seoul?"

"Well, I am." The man replied hesitantly.

There was another embarrassing silence, and they kept staring at each other's face. Jaijin found a unique temperament between the man's eyebrows.

"Can you let me take a picture?"

"Do you want to take a photo with me?"

"No, just you."

"Why?"

"I'm a painter and I'm good at portraits. I want to paint you. If I take a photo of you , then I would not afraid of you moving!“

The man looked sternly and he didn't want to be photographed: "Do you know who I am?"

"Who are you?" Jaijin thought we just met each other for less than a half day, and you didn’t tell me anything about you, how could I know who you were?

"I'm Eun Jiwon," the man said, and waited for Jaijin’s reaction.

"How to write it?"

The man sighed slightly, picked up the menu and a pen on the table, wrote the pinyin of the name in the blank space of the menu, and then wrote the Chinese characters.

 "Hello Eun Jiwon Xi." Jaijin answered politely, "I am Lee Jaijin." He wrote his name down like Jiwon.

Later Jiwon said that it's okay for Jaijin to paint him, but he didn’t want to be photographed, so he followed Jaijin back to the place where Jaijin stayed,and... Jiwon slept with him that night.

"Do you have a ?"

"No." Jaijin never thought of any romance encounter on Jeju Island.

"I won’t do anything." Jiwon said.

 "Agree, no unsafe ." Jaijin admitted: "I have liver B. If you haven't been vaccinated or haven't got antibodies in your body for a long time, we won’t take the risk."

So they simply satisfied each other with their hands, and fell asleep on the tiny single bed in the small room.

When Jaijin got up the next day, he found that Jiwon drove away in the middle of the night, leaving only a note.

"Sorry, I have something urgent."

Jaijin thought that at least I had the painting, and he didn't expect to see Jiwon again. Later on,he found that the painting was taken away by Jiwon.

"That's what I drew!" Now Jaijin was really upset.

 

Two days later, Jaijin returned to Seoul. He dropped his luggage and went to his sister's house, where he waited for his niece and nephew to go home from class.

"How about Jeju Island?" Enju asked him.

"I met someone."

"Someone? How old is he? Where does he live? What does he do?"

Jaijin thought I didn't know these things: "He has very beautiful eyes, long eyelashes, a high nose, and then his brows are so damn good-looking." He gestured to his sister while explaining to her.

Enju felt despair: "Oh my stupid Oppa, what can you do if you are deceived?"

"He's gone, how could he lie to me?"

So he decided to show Jiwon’s paintings to his sister. These sketches were drawn on the morning after Jiwon’ departure.

"You painted Eun Jiwon?" Enju asked.

"Do you know him?" Jaijin was excited.

"Everyone in the country knows him! If you didn't know him before, you should know him now."

 "What?"

Enju the television and switched to every news channel, and each one was full of Eun Jiwon‘s face.

"His Excellency the Marquis Eun Jiwon takes office as Regent Prince.”

"Would Regent Prince Jiwon be the next king?”

"The regent's appointment affects the general election? Is His Excellency Eun closer to the opposition party?"

"Oh! He did lie to me." Jaijin said.