The Promise

One Floor Above
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Italic means it's a flashback)

Knowing she could no longer avoid the situation, Wheein slowly sat down on the couch. Her friend did not turn to her and instead kept staring at the photo in her hand.

“Hyejinie?” Wheein tried to get the girl’s attention, but she still looked down at the photo. The soldier looked over and saw that the photo in Hyejin’s hand was of them on the brunette’s 10th birthday. Wheein smiled remembering that day.

 

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Hyejin… HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!” Everyone around the little girl sang and she blew out the candle’s on her cake excitedly. Her parents were on one side of her while her best friend and her parents were on the other side. The young birthday girl didn’t have many friends except Wheein, but she felt content with the people around her.

After cutting and eating the cake, the two girls were allowed to play outside while the adults stayed inside to chit chat. Looking out the window, Hyejin and Wheein’s father watched as their daughters played in the backyard.

“I’m so glad our daughters are best friends,” Hyejin’s father said turning to the other man.

“I know, they remind me of us when we were their age.” Wheein’s father responded, patting his best friend’s shoulder.

“Were we ever that energetic?” The birthday girl’s father asked.

“I mean I was, but you were always falling behind,” the other man joked, receiving a playful slap from his friend. The two men laughed while they continued to watch their daughter’s run around.

After playing around for a little bit, the two little girls went to their favorite tree in Hyejin’s backyard and Wheein decided it was a good time to give her best friend her birthday gift. When they sat down, Wheein pulled the folded piece of paper from her back pocket and shyly gave it to the girl.

“Hyejinie, I got you a present. I’m sorry if you don’t like it-” the girl tried to say but the birthday girl was already quickly opening the paper. Inside, there was a drawing of Hyejin surrounded by different colorful flowers. At first, the little girl didn’t react and instead studied the drawing very closely, causing Wheein to get very worried.

“Do you not like it? It’s okay if you don’t. It’s not that good anyways-,” the little girl was cut off when she was tackled into a bear hug.

“WHEEIN, THIS IS THE BEST PRESENT EVER!!! WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME YOU WERE GOOD AT DRAWING? NEVER HIDE A SECRET LIKE THIS FROM ME AGAIN!” the birthday girl yelled, still holding tight to her best friend. Wheein blushed at her friend’s words.

“I’m sorry, Hyejinie. I promise I won’t hide anything again.” Wheein said and hugged her best friend back.

 

Wheein’s memory was interrupted by her friend who decided to finally speak.

“You know that was my favorite birthday,” the brunette said with a soft smile on her face. “I remember after that we were even more inseparable. We’d tell each other everything and always be there for each other. It was such a simpler time.” The soldier just stayed silent not knowing what to say. “Wheein,” Hyejin began and took a deep breath before looking at her friend with sad eyes, “whatever happened to your promise?” Wheein froze at Hyejin’s words because it brought back memories of when she first broke her promise. In those days, the blonde hid so much, that it almost ruined their friendship.

 

When the pair entered high school they acted like how any normal teenager would. They got crushes, had their own boyfriends and girlfriends, Wheein dyed her hair blonde. For the first two years of high school, everything was pretty normal. Nothing was out of the ordinary until one day at the beginning of Junior year, Hyejin was called out of class. The teachers looked panicked and when they quietly told the girl something, she began crying and ran outside. Wheein ran after her friend, ignoring the calls from the teachers. 

Outside, she found Hyejin’s mom and her dad looking very worried, waiting inside a car. The two girls got into the car, Wheein in the front seat beside her father, while Hyejin and her mom sat in the back. The older woman was holding her daughter as she cried. Wheein turned to her dad and asked what had happened.

“Hyejin’s father is in the hospital. He had a heart attack while we were working.” Wheein’s father said tensely. He refused to take his eyes off the road to look at his daughter. Wheein just looked back at her friend worriedly. Hyejin was still crying and Wheein reached back and grabbed her hand. Hyejin held on to it tightly, until they finally made it to the hospital. 

When they arrived, Hyejin’s father was laying in a hospital bed unresponsive. His daughter went by his side and held his hand, crying she begged for her father to wake up. Her mother stood behind her, and Wheein and her father stood on the other side trying hard to stay strong.  

Nothing happened for a couple of hours. The three people continued to stay in the room, but none dared to say anything. The room was so tense as they watched the man in the hospital bed. When Wheein looked at her father, she saw the pained look in his eyes. She imagined a lot was going through his mind since that was his friend since childhood. When she turned to her best friend, she looked as though she had no more tears left. Her face was so puffy and red, and it broke Wheein’s heart to see the people she loved in th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter