Babysitter

One Floor Above
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Uh, well-” Wheein was about to explain how she met Yongsun and Sunhee but the little girl interjected.

“Wheein unnie, the banana milk I got at home was sooo good. You were right, it tasted better!” The little girl’s words made Hyejin even more confused, not trusting her best friend’s word right now she decided to ask someone more truthful.

“Sunhee, how did you and Wheein unnie meet?” The brunette inquired.

“Well first I got lost, and she had this cool jacket,” the girl pointed at the uniform for emphasis, “so she said if I told her where mommy was I would get the jacket. So I told her. Then I went shopping with mommy and I wanted banana milk so I pulled mommy into a store and Wheein unnie was already there but not for banana milk, she had bandages in her hand.” Wheein’s eyes went wide from the girl’s words, while Hyejin kept a straight face and continued to listen to the girl. “-she told me banana milk is better cold and it would get warm outside, so I got it at home and it was good!” Sunhee finished her very simplified version of what happened and everything started to make sense to Hyejin. The blonde just remained quiet. 

“Ah, I see. Well, we actually have some banana milk in the fridge if you want? I’ll make you a little snack as well.” Hyejin’s words made the girl jump in joy and she skipped towards the kitchen excitedly. Before heading after her, the long-haired woman pulled the soldier close and whispered in her ear.

“We need to talk later, you have some explaining to do.” The woman’s words caused a shiver to go up the blonde’s spine, and the brunette walked away towards the kitchen without another word. Wheein has been yelled at and insulted countless times in the military. Hell, she’s even been shot at, but for some reason, Hyejin’s words made the soldier just as scared. Maybe even more scared. Even though she wasn’t ready to tell Hyejin everything, she realized she couldn’t continue lying to her friend. Sighing, the blonde went into the kitchen and watched as her friend prepared some snacks while Sunhee was sipping on her banana milk.

“Sunhee, you really enjoy banana milk,” Wheein commented. 

“My aunt gives me banana milk all the time, but she’s away right now so I don’t get it as much,” the little girl explained. Hyejin put a plate of fruit and chips in front of the girl, and she began eating. 

“Yonghee unnie, Yongsun unnie’s sister, works in fashion, so she’s in London right now,” Hyejin explained a little bit more to Wheein.

“What does Yongsun-ssi do?” The soldier asked.

“Unnie works in interior design. She’s the one that actually designed most of this apartment.” Wheein looked around the grand apartment again and remembered how impressed she was when she first stepped in it. She had to admit the woman was very good at her job and had a unique way of designing.

“I’m all done,” the little girl beside them said, getting their attention. Hyejin cleaned up her plate and the three then went into the living room. The two best friends realized they couldn’t continue watching Parasite, so instead, they put on some cartoons to entertain the girl. 

“How old are you, Sunhee?” The blonde wanted to know more about the little girl.

“I am seven years old,” Sunhee held up six fingers at first, but Hyejin gestured to raise one more and the little girl quickly raised another finger causing the blonde to chuckle.

“Are you going to school right now?”

“No, but it’s starting soon. I don’t want to go back. School .” The brunette women couldn’t help but nod in agreement at Sunhee’s words and Wheein gave her a disapproving look.

“School isn’t that bad,” the blonde tried to reason.

“Says the smart one,” Hyejin mumbled, not being heard by the little girl. Wheein gave her friend another look and Hyejin just looked away innocently.

“I guess school is okay sometimes. My favorite part is making art,” Sunhee exclaimed and it caught the brunette’s attention.

“You like art? Well, Wheein unnie here is actually really good at art!” Hyejin responded, even though Wheein was trying to silently tell her to shut up. The girl turned to the soldier and began hitting her excitedly.

“Wheein unnie, can you please teach me art! I want to learn more about it! Please!!!” The little girl gave another one of her signature pouts, and it was then Wheein understood why her mother was so easily swayed. Her pouts were like kryptonite. 

“Ah fine, I’ll teach you about art, kid. How about we start tomorrow?” The little girl nodded her head at the blonde’s suggestion. The brunette next to them smiled at the interaction, and she was happy knowing Wheein would get into art again, even if it was just for a kid. After Sunhee calmed down a bit they continued to watch more cartoons. A couple of episodes later, Wheein found Sunhee sound asleep.

“Aw, she’s so cute isn’t she, Hyejin?” The soldier was met with silence and when she turned her head she found her best friend also sound asleep. A couple of soft knocks on the door caught Whee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter