Conversations

One Floor Above
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein woke up to find Yongsun holding her close. Sometime during the night, their positions switched and the blonde’s head was tucked under the older woman’s chin. The soldier softly pulled away to see the sleeping woman’s face. Her cheeks were puffier than usual and Wheein was doing everything in her power not to poke them. 

Eventually, Yongsun began to stir and slowly opened her eyes. Wheein just gave her a soft smile and since she was awake she took the opportunity to poke her mochi cheeks. The mother just looked at her weird but then they started laughing, pulling each other closer.

They remained silent and the only sound they could hear was the birds chirping outside, their breathing, and their heartbeats. Everything felt so calm.

“I could wake up like this every day,” the older woman mumbled into Wheein’s hair. The blonde slightly tensed at the woman’s words remembering what her mom told her yesterday. She wondered if Yongsun was still curious about what they were. For the soldier, she was also unsure. As much as she wanted to be with the older woman, she also understood if everything was going too fast.

Wheein was so caught up in her thoughts, she didn’t notice the other woman looking at her slightly concerned. Yongsun had a different thought in her mind. For her, she wondered why the blonde had been so tense since arriving at home. She wanted to get to know the younger woman more, and she wondered if now was a good time to ask.

“Wheein?” Yongsun asked a bit hesitantly. The soldier snapped out of her thoughts and looked over to the serious woman. Wheein didn’t realize the conversation on what they were would happen right now and so she nervously hummed in response. 

“Why were you so tense when you entered your home yesterday?” The question caught Wheein off guard and her eyebrows furrowed in response. Yongsun, however, thought she overstepped her boundaries. “I’m sorry, you don’t have to answer that! That was insensitive of me, please ignore it,” the woman rushed out.

The blonde was surprised again, but she realized how she reacted. She quickly started to calm the other woman down.

“Unnie, you’re fine, I was just caught off guard!” Yongsun’s panic began to settle and she gave a sheepish smile. The soldier gave her a reassuring grin before thinking about how to explain her situation. She knew she would have to tell Yongsun about her past sooner or later. After collecting her thoughts a bit, she grabbed the older woman’s hand and played with it, avoiding eye contact.

“Um, well the last time I was here, I left with some unhappy memories,” Wheein began, her voice slightly shaking. Yongsun noticed and squeezed her hand, allowing the younger woman to continue. “When Hyejin and I were in high school, Hyejin’s father passed away. Since my dad and her dad were best friends, it was really hard for him. He started to drink and gamble a lot, and we lost a lot of money because of it. That’s why I had to stop teaching art because I worked two jobs to try and earn money. I was hopeful that my father would get better, but then finally, he just left.” 

Tears began to slowly fall down the soldier’s face, and Yongsun pulled her close and held her. Wheein buried her head in the older woman’s chest, trying to suppress the tears.

“Stepping into my old room just reminded me of everything I lost. My dreams, my father, my happiness.” Wheein whispered the last word and pulled away from the other woman. She quickly sat up and went to the edge of the bed, her back turned to Yongsun. The older woman just looked at her with tears in her eyes. Sitting up, she hesitantly placed a hand on the blonde’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, unnie,” Wheein whispered, brushing the remaining tears away.

“Why are you sorry?”

“I just never wanted you to see me like this.” 

“Like what?”

“Weak.” Yongsun frowned at the younger woman’s words. It hurt to hear her say these things about herself. She got closer and hugged the woman from behind, burying her face in her back.

“Wheein, you’re not weak. The fact you worked so hard to provide for your family proves how strong you are.” The soldier just remained silent, sinking more into Yongsun’s embrace, feeling comforted. “I’m really happy that you told me, and I want you to know I don’t think of you any less.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Yongsun tugged on Wheein’s shoulder to face her. The blonde had her head down, but the older woman grabbed her by the cheek and they made eye contact.

“You’re even more amazing in my eyes,” Yongsun whispered before leaning in and giving a sweet kiss to the soldier’s lips. Wheein sighed into the kiss and wrapped her arms around the older woman’s waist, pulling her closer. 

After a couple more soft kisses, Yongsun pulled away and gave her a final kiss on her dimple, making the blonde grin.

“Come on, I can smell your mom’s cooking, and I’m getting hungry.” Wheein pouted, wanting to continue their activities, but the sound of her stomach growling made her realize she was also hungry.

 

Entering the kitchen, Wheein and Yongsun were surprised to find Wheein’s mother and Sunhee dancing around to some music while making breakfast. The little girl was jumping around while scrambling some eggs, while the oldest woman used a spatula as a microphone. 

The soldier couldn’t help but laugh really hard at the sight and it caused the two in the kitchen to turn around. Sunhee saw her mother and ran towards her pulling her by the arm to dance around, and Wheein followed suit dancing with her mother. 

The blonde felt so much joy as she sang with her mother and danced around with Sunhee. At one point a slower song came on, and Wheein pulled Yongsun into a slow dance. They held each other close as Yongsun sang a couple of lines. Sunhee and Wheein’s mother watched in awe but the moment was soon interrupted when the smell of burnt eggs got their attention.

After a couple more songs, the four of them quickly finished cooking breakfast and dancing and settled down to eat. 

 

After breakfast, they were cleaning up and were starting to get ready for the day.

“So what do you have planned today?” The oldest woman asked after they finished their meal.

“We are going to Hanok Village with Hyejin and Byul unnie,” the soldier answered.

“Sounds fun! Are you dressing up?”

“Mom, I outgrew my hanbok a long time ago, but we will probably find Sunhee one.” The little girl nodded excitedly at the blonde’s words.

“Yes, that would be adorable. I’m sorry I won’t be able to join you today, I have some unfinished work.” 

“Ajumma, please don’t apologize,” Yongsun reassured. The oldest woman smiled back before a knock was heard at the front door. 

Opening it, Wheein found Hyejin in traditional female hanbok, while Byulyi was wearing a male outfit. Before the blonde could even comment, Hyejin handed her two other hanbok outfits.

“This is for you and Yongsun unnie, now get changed these outfits are hot,” the brunette ordered and ushered the two to their rooms.  

 

After getting changed and wishing goodbye to Wheein’s mother, the five of them headed to Hanok Village. In the car, Wheein could sense a tenseness between her two friends. She wondered if it had anything to do with yesterday’s incident of Hyejin finding Byulyi holding her. However, this time it seemed like Hyejin was acting like nothing was wrong, while Byulyi looked troubled. For some reason, it seemed like the doctor was avoiding looking at Wheein, and dedicated her time talking to Sunhee. The soldier decided to just ask later.

Entering the village, they were met with an array of traditional Korean buildings as well as a multitude of colorful trees and outfits. Sunhee and Yongsun let out a surprised gasp at the view, while the other three chuckled at their response. Wheein, however, did admit it looked even more beautiful than the last time she was there, but she was still familiar with the surroundings.

The five of them walked around, looking at the buildings, and visiting some stores. They even watched a few performances. After a while, they finally found a shop that sold hanbok for children but the store was slightly crowded. 

Wheein came up with an idea and suggested that she and Byulyi stay back and that Hyejin could help Yongsun and Sunhee find an outfit. The doctor was going to protest but was soldier already dragging her to another area. Hyejin just watched silently, while Sunhee pulled her mother to the store. 

 

Wheein continued to drag Byulyi until they were at some benches. They sat down, and Byulyi continued to avoid looking at the blonde. 

“Byul unnie, why are you ignoring me? How come you and Hyejin have been acting weird all morning? Did something happen?” The soldier asked worriedly. Byulyi let out a heavy sigh and finally turned to the other woman, keeping her down.

“I just don’t think you want to know.”

“Well, I do if it means it’s affecting our r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter