Red Cheeks

One Floor Above
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunhee presented Wheein with a drawing of her holding banana milk. Some lines were pretty rugged since the girl was rushing but overall it was pretty impressive.

“Sunhee, you made me look beautiful,” the blonde said softly studying the lines.

“You always look beautiful,” Yongsun whispered and Wheein turned and raised her eyebrow. “Um, did I say that out loud?”

“Yes, you did, mommy,” the youngest answered and her mother’s mochi cheeks went red. Wheein was also slightly blushing but she was thrilled on the inside.

“Um, I should start dinner,” Yongsun announced trying to get away from the situation.

“Let me help,” Wheein said getting up. The black-haired woman tried to stop the blonde but the blonde didn’t take no for an answer.

“Think of it as payment. Please?” Wheein fluttered her eyelashes and the oldest couldn’t say no. 

“Fine. Sunhee why don’t you just play or work on something while we cook,” the mother suggested and her daughter just continued drawing.

 

The two women headed to the kitchen and began preparing ingredients for dinner. Wheein was in charge of cutting vegetables while Yongsun started cooking meat. The two worked in perfect harmony.

“So how was everything today?” The black-haired woman asked while seasoning the meat.

“Everything went really well. I mean not only do I get to teach Sunhee but I also get to make some things. Plus Sunhee is an amazing kid, you’ve done a great job raising her.” Yongsun smiled at the soldier’s words.

“Thank you, that means a lot. You know, it’s been hard raising her alone.” Wheein finished chopping the vegetables and put it next to the mother, while Yongsun just stared at the stove continuing to cook.

“You might be wondering where her dad is. Well, I guess I am too. You see after I graduated college, my boyfriend at the time and I were ready to start our careers. However, Sunhee came along and he was too invested in his career to deal with it.” Yongsun finally finished cooking everything and turned off the stove, turning toward Wheein.

“Next thing I knew, he left to work in Europe, and I was all alone with a child. I guess people thought I’d be defeated after he left, but I just worked harder. I’d do anything to keep my daughter happy, even if that means doing double the work.” Yongsun finished her story with a sad smile but determined eyes and Wheein looked at the woman in awe.

“That’s very strong of you unnie. I can’t help but admire your relationship, to be honest. I wish all parents were as dedicated as you,” the blonde whispered and look down at the ground, frowning. 

 

The older woman noticed the other’s mood drop and was gonna ask if something was wrong but a knock on the door got both of the women’s attention. Yongsun looked at Wheein with sympathetic eyes and went to the door to open it. Hyejin was standing on the other side holding a bottle of wine.

“Hey, unnie! I hope you like red wine,” Hyejin exclaimed and entered the apartment, and Yongsun thanked the girl for the bottle. 

“Hello, Hyejin, we just finished cooking. I’m gonna go get Sunhee. Do you two mind setting up the table?” The two best friends nodded and Yongsun left to get her daughter.

Hyejin approached her best friend while she began preparing the table. She noticed a slight frown on her best friends and felt concerned.

“Hey, Wheein, are you okay?” Wheein finished putting down the plates and turned to her friend.

“Yeah, just Yongsun unnie is a really good mom,” the blonde commented sadly and Hyejin understood what she met by the statement. Hyejin knew her best friend was dwelling on the past with her father and felt bad knowing her friend was still affected. 

“I’m sorry, Wheein-ah.”

“Don’t be. Anyways, did you buy the bandages?” Wheein asked trying to change the subject.

“Yeah, I put them in the apartment before coming here,” Hyejin explained. Wheein thanked her friend and Hyejin just gave her a reassuring smile. 

 

Yongsun and Sunhee entered the room and the mother signaled for everyone to sit down. Everyone settled down and Hyejin poured a glass of wine for herself, Yongsun and Wheein, while the blonde poured Sunhee a glass of banana milk. After everyone prepared their plates they began eating.

“Wow unnie, this tastes amazing. When did you learn how to cook?” The blonde wondered out loud while taking a bite.

“Thank you, Wheein. I taught myself after Sunhee was born. My dad would always cook for me so I wanted to do the same for her.” 

“That’s very impressive, unnie. I’ve always wanted to learn how to cook,” the soldier commented off-handedly.

“I’d love to teach you some time!” Yongsun said a bit too eagerly getting everyone’s attention and the oldest felt slightly embarrassed. “Um, if you want to that is.” 

“Yes, please. I’d love to learn.” The two looked at each other and smiled. Hyejin wanted to throw up from their obvious attraction toward each other but also wanted to yell at them to just kiss already. Instead, she turned to the little girl quietly eating her food.

“Did you enjoy your art lesson with, Sunhee?” The brunette asked.

“Yes! Wheein unnie is the best teacher ever!” Sunhee gushed and Hyejin felt proud.

“She’s pretty amazing, isn’t she.” Hyejin winked at her friend and Wheein rolled her eyes. Yongsun also looked at the soldier with admiration and it didn’t go unnoticed by the brunette at the table.

“Hyejin, are you also good at art?” Yongsun questioned and the brunette had to stop herself from laughing.

“Oh god no. Wheein has always been an art kid while I was a music kid. I remember when we were younger I wanted to be a singer, so I made Wheein promise me she would make my album cover art.” The two friends laughed at the memory, remembering how innocent it was back then. 

“No wonder why I found you familiar, Wheein. When I was designing Hyejin’s apartment she had your picture everywhere,” the mother realized, “I honestly thought you guys were together…” The oldest trailed off and the two best friends faked gagged.

“Gross no. However, when we were younger we tried to be together but it just felt so weird,” Hyejin reassured. 

“Please don’t bring that up,” the blonde cringed remembering the past.

“Why not? Are you ashamed we were each other’s first kiss?” Yongsun raised her eyebrows at the brunette’s statement and Wheein groaned louder.

“Hyejin! We promised to never talk about that!” Hyejin just laughed more and continued.

“But I love talking about when we were younger, like the time we both fell for the same girl-” When Wheein gave her friend a dangerous look she decided to not say anything else.

“Unnie, please tell me Hyejin didn’t say anything embarrassing while I was away,” the soldier pleaded and Yongsun chuckled while shaking her head.

“I mean sometimes she would talk about when you guys were younger but nothing too embarrassing. She mainly would talk about how much she missed you while you were away in the military,” Yongsun remarked. 

“Mommy, what’s the mealtary?” Everyone couldn’t help but chuckle at the girl’s mistake.

“It’s called the military,” Wheein corrected, “and it’s where I got that jacket I gave you.”

“Oh wow! I wanna join the military,” the girl chirped and Wheein’s smile dropped a bit and the action was not missed by the oldest at the table.

“You don’t know that yet, sweetie. Plus you don’t get time to do art,” the mother reasoned.

“No art? Ugh, nevermind,” Sunhee grumbled and Wheein let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding. Hyejin noticed the relief on her friend’s face and decided to change the subject.

“Unnie, when will Yonghee unnie be back?” The brunette inquired.

“Oh, she will actually be back in a couple of months. She’ll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter