LA

Should I?

Almost a week after our wrap up party, I decided to fly to Los Angeles for a quick vacation. One of my cousins, Hae Jin, had been living there for the longest time, which was why my accommodation was no longer a problem, despite the fact that the whole LA trip was such a rushed decision. 

"You just love surprising me, don't you?" Hae Jin smiled before taking a sip of her brewed coffee. 

We were at Sunset Brew, one of the cafes near her house. She thought that it was a great idea to give me a dose of caffeine after sleeping all day due to jetlag. 

"Mianheyo (I'm sorry)." I smiled back. "But I do know that you love having me over, right?"

"Of course." She affirmed. "I mean, who would ever decline THE Son Ye Jin a place to stay in LA right?" 

We both laughed. 

"But really, Hye Jin sachon (cousin), chukahaeyo (congratulations)." Hae Jin said. "I heard about your new drama and how it's been making waves lately. I'm so proud of you." 

"Jeongmal kamsahamnida (Thank you very much)." I replied. "My goal is to get the most congratulations in one week. So far, you're the 1,706th."

We both laughed again. 

"Anyway, what's with Hyun Bin?" Hae Jin asked intruingingly. "I see the way he looks and treats you. It's different." 

"Hae Jin ah, we're just friends." I clarified. 

"Friends for now?"

My heart echoed within me. 

"Why don't you just give it a chance?" Hae Jin suddenly asked. 

A chance? A chance to turn into something more? I already knew what was coming after that question. That I wasn't getting any younger, that by now, I should be married with two kids, that I shouldn't feel pressured into seeing someone, but that maybe now should be the right time. I've already heard that a million times from family members, peers and even colleagues. 

I was actually tired of hearing the same thing over and over again, but I couldn't quite find it in myself to address these "concerns" just yet. 

At the age of 38, I guess I just still wasn't ready.

"Jinni, we've practically known each other ever since we were in diapers. I've seen you play around with sticks and stones, up until you discovered your passion in acting back when we were in high school." Hae Jin begun. "You've been working so hard to get to where you are today, and I just feel like, by now, you should be enjoying more of your personal life."

"I know you're happy doing all these acting projects back and forth, but what comes after, right? Do you really want to come home to an empty house forever?" 

I sighed in reply. 

"Sachon (cousin), I know you're saying all of this right now because you truly care for me." I said. "Even back when we were kids, you always looked out for me. You always wanted me to be happy." 

"I appreciate your concern, but with matters like this, I just want you to trust me." I added. "I know I may seem to be running out of time, but forcing things like relationships and marriage, won't exactly do me any good. I hope you understand."

"Of course." Hae Jin nodded. 

"But Hyun Bin..." I said. "I admit... there's something there. I just want to be sure."

Suddenly, she lit up. 

"And if it's sure? Will you be willing to give it a chance?"

"Maybe."