Encounter

Should I?

The day after our coffee date at Sunset Brew, Hae Jin had to leave for work. It was a Monday, and she had to report extra early after receiving a text message from her boss. 

Hae Jin had left the keys to her rarely used SUV just in case I wanted to go downtown, but I wasn't really keen on doing anything out of the ordinary today. I just wanted to lie in front of the television, probably eat some ice cream or potato chips, then head out for a quick walk in the afternoon. 

Hae Jin's neighborhood was lovely, but the fact that her neighbors had no idea that I was an actress back in South Korea was lovelier. I could pretend as if I was just one of those Koreans working overseas or studying English at a university nearby. I wasn't Son Ye Jin. Crash Landing On You Son Ye Jin

When I opened the refrigerator and found no ice cream, opened the pantry and found no chips, I knew that I had to head to the grocery store nearby. Thankfully, it was just a ten-minute walk away. 

After having asked where the junk food section was, my eyes caught sight of the Korean potato chips I had been craving for ever since I arrived. Just when I was about to reach for it, another hand which seemed to be that of a male's, reached for it first and handed it over to me. 

"I never thought you actually liked this." He said. 

His voice sent chills down my spine, because it was all too familiar for me. It was deep, but comforting. The kind you'd listen to when you wanted to relax or remind yourself that hey, you're living in a world where someone with a voice as beautiful as this actually exists. 

Kim Tae Pyeong was here. Or should I say, Hyun Bin was here. Crash Landing On You Hyun Bin

"Omo," I said, as my eyes widened at the sight of him. "I can't believe you're here!" 

"I can't believe you are as well." Bin smiled back. "You know, you can just come forward if you're stalking me or something." 

I gently hit him in reply. 

"But wait. Why are you here and how long have you been here?" 

"I arrived just five days ago." Bin answered. "And I'm here because I just want to relax... you know, unwind just for a little bit." 

"Are you kidding me? I'm here to do the exact same thing." I said. "Wait, I think that it's you who's doing the stalking, not me." 

We both just laughed. 

"Where are you staying here?" Bin asked. 

"I'm staying at my cousin's place. Just a 10 minute walk from here. And you?"

"I have an apartment nearby." 

So what now, Ye Jin? Wasn't it proper for you to invite him over? Yours, rather your cousin's place was probably nearer than his, so why not invite him over for coffee instead of awkwardly stand here and wait for a paparazzi to notice you both and have this random meet up cause a media frenzy? 

Right, I had to get back to my senses. 

'Um, do you have any other plans for today? Can I invite you for coffee at my cousin's place?" I asked. "I mean, she wouldn't mind. We're practically sisters already." 

"Sure. That sounds nice." 

When Bin and I got to my cousin's place, it was a little passed two in the afternoon. The sun was shining so brightly in the sky, and the way its light was seeping into the house reminded me so much of our shooting days back in Mongolia and Switzerland where everything was so light and cheery, and only good memories were made with such wonderful people. 

Definitely an experience that was one for the books. 

As I was brewing coffee in the kitchen, I could see Bin walking around the living room, then stopping for a moment to look at the picture frames placed neatly on one of the side tables. He picked one up, looked at it intently and smiled. 

Have I ever mentioned how my heart would start beating erratically whenever he smiled, his dimples digging deep into his cheeks? And his physique... don't get me started on that. 

"I see you weren't joking when you said that you were practically sisters already." He said, as soon as he felt me walk towards him with two cups of coffee in hand. 

He placed the picture frame back on the side table and gently took his cup from me. I then gestured for the both of us to sit on the couch. 

"Neh (Yes)," I nodded. "Hae Jin and I grew up together, so we pretty much know everything about each other. From our favorite food, hatest teacher, to even the best ex-boyfriends, you name it." 

"Best ex-boyfriend..." Bin said, teasingly. "Now that's something I want to hear." 

I smiled. 

"Anyway, how long will you be staying here? I'm heading back in two weeks." 

"Me too." He replied. "As much as I would want to stay, there is just so much work waiting for me in Korea. I can't laze around for too long." 

I sighed. 

"Sometimes, it's saddening, isn't it? How we can't enjoy this life as much as we would want to? How, after all these years, we're still thinking about the future we're working so hard for, when in truth, that future is the now we're living in." 

Bin meaningfully looked at me and nodded. 

"Don't worry. We still have two weeks. Let's make it count." He said.

"Let's." I agreed.