The Visitor

Should I?

Last night was a huge mistake. I knew and I felt that it was. 

I allowed my negative emotions to get the best out of me, and now, Bin and I weren't talking. He left my house feeling so down and upset, and I was deeply ashamed for the hurtful words that I had said to him. I couldn't believe that I had thought so selfishly about the whole situation, only pondering on how it would affect my career.

Our future and our happiness most especially, never did once cross my mind and I felt so bad for the woman I had become last night. 

It was as if I wasn't his girlfriend, but just Son Ye Jin. The independent and undeniably lonely Son Ye Jin

As I stayed in my little office at Cafe Seri, I stared at the picture frame that was beside my laptop. It had a picture of Bin and I taken last September 2019 at Kleine Schneidegg, Switzerland. We had just finished shooting a scene where we were both side by side looking up at paragliders flying in the sky.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I remember him asking me that afternoon. 

"You mean the scenery or me?" I joked. 

"Maybe both, but a little more of you."

That was the very first time Bin had expressed his feelings for me coyly, and despite the fact that I was somewhat taken aback by it, I knew that my heart had accepted it right away. Maybe because it knew that Bin was genuine enough and that he'd truly love and accept me for who I am. 

Too bad I couldn't even think about that last night. 

"Sajangnim," One of my baristas said, putting a halt to my train of thought. "Someone is here to see you." 

Upon hearing what she had just said, I immediately rose up from my chair. 

"Nuguseyo?" I asked, walking out of the office in hopes that the person waiting for me was Hyun Bin. 

To my surprise and disappointment, it wasn't him but someone he knew very well. Someone he had brought up during our conversation last night. The one who had broken his heart years back. 

Song Hye Kyo

"I'm sorry for appearing so suddenly." She started as soon as we were settled in the lounge area of my private office. "It's just that... there's something I would like to talk to you about." She added.

"I think I know what... rather who this is about." I replied, gently putting down the cup of coffee I had in hand.

"He called me last night." Hye Kyo said. "It was obvious that he had way too many drinks because the last time he called me was five years ago." 

"Well," I cleared my throat in reply. "What did he say?"

"That the both of you fought because you cared so much about other people's opinions on your relationship." Hye Kyo answered. "He even added that he was disappointed, hurt actually, because he really thought that after what I did to him in the past, he would never have to go through that kind of pain again. But then, last night happened and everything seemed to come back to haunt him in an instant." 

Having heard this, I sighed heavily, then looked down at my fingers. I couldn't believe I had inflicted that much pain to him. 

"I know I shouldn't have a say in your relationship because I'm one of his exes and who's going to listen to a divorced woman anyway, right?" Hye Kyo said. "But if I may just say a few things, it's this. Tae Pyeong is a good man, a great man actually, and he deserves to be loved wholeheartedly." She added. 

"Truth be told, I actually see myself in you. You're independent and career-oriented, you both know and feel that you control everything that's going on in your life, but then one day, someone comes and changes the way everything works. You're scared to dive right in, to take the risk, because it's something you're not used to, but in the end, you still do and you realize that it was all worth it." 

"Ye Jin sshi, one of the biggest regrets of my life was that I let Bin go. I chose my life without him thinking that it was the better choice, but it wasn't. I kept working day and night, I dated for a bit, even married, but I still felt so empty deep inside. I was never the same kind of happy back when I was with him." Hye Kyo admitted. "That's why, as I was listening to him last night, my heart hurt. I couldn't help but feel sad knowing that I hurt the very person who did nothing but love me. But of course, that's all in the past now." She added.

"Don't worry. Despite the narrative I had just shared to you, I have no intentions of getting back together with him and I'm pretty sure that he feels the same way." She said reassuringly. "I just hope that you two get to patch things up because I know he loves you very much and that he'd be willing to take a bullet for your relationship." 

"Don't be like me." Hye Kyo stated. "Don't hurt the one you love for ambitions you know will only make you temporarily happy. And don't listen to the people outside of your relationship, because at the end of each day, it's just you and him, and that's the only thing that's supposed to matter."

I smiled faintly in reply. 

"Jeongmal kamsahamnida, Hye Kyo sshi. I appreciate your kind words and your concern for the both of us." I said. "You're right about not hurting the one I love for ambitions and other people's opinions, but unfortunately, I said what I said last night and I can't take it back anymore." I added. "I just hope that Bin finds it in himself to forgive me, so we can finally move forward from all of this." 

"I know he will." Hye Kyo replied. "Just give him some time. He'll come around." 

I breathed heavily.

"I really hope he does." I said. "I love him so much and I just can't imagine my life without him." I added as tears fell down from my cheeks. 

"Everything will be okay." Hye Kyo assured me. 

"Remember, what's meant to be, will always find its way."