The Headline

Should I?

"Sajangnim, joeum achimimnida."

Lee Jo Kyon, my right hand man at VAST, said as soon as he entered my office. He respectfully bowed before handing me a couple of folders in hand. I bowed right back in reply, and accepted them. 

"Sajangnim, in those folders are the updates on how our company and our talents have been doing for the past month." Jo Kyon reported. "So far, so good. Everything's stable and our talents have been signed unto different projects." 

"That's good." I said, skimming through the contents of the folders. 

Jo Kyon then cleared his throat, causing me to look up so suddenly.

"Is there something you want to say?" I asked. 

"Well, sajangnim..." He started, looking a bit hesitant at first. "The other day, a group of reporters paid a visit to our company. Security made sure to stop them at the lobby, but I knew I had to come down to ask them what their business was and as usual, they were looking for you." 

"You don't have to tell me the reason why." I answered. "Dating rumors right? With Ye Jin?" 

"Neh."

"Just let them be." I said, once again skimming through the folders. "The rumors will die down in a few weeks." 

"Um... I don't think so, sajangnim. As a matter of fact, they just got more intense." Jo Kyon said, handing me a copy of today's paper. 

HYUN BIN SPOTTED IN SON YE JIN'S CAFE! HUGGING? HOLDING HANDS? ARE THEY DATING OR NOT???

My eyes suddenly widened at the headline of the entertainment section. There was indeed a photograph of Ye Jin and I hugging and holding hands outside her cafe. This was taken just a few days ago when I brought her some kimchi stew before heading home. No wonder I felt as if there was someone watching us. 

"Sajangnim, I'll just release a statement denying-"

"Aniyo." I said. "There's no point in denying anymore. The photos speak for themselves." I added. 

Jo Kyon's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. 

"Yes, I am dating Son Ye Jin, Jo Kyon sshi." I confirmed. "And I really don't think it would be good to deny it anymore. Denying it would harm our public image because the people would think that we're making fools out of them." 

"Uh..." Jo Kyon said as he tried to process everything in his mind. "So do you want us to release a statement confirming the dating rumors, sajangnim?" 

"Just give me some time." I replied. "We can't just confirm this without Ye Jin's approval. Let me get back to you in a couple of days."

"But the press..."

"Just let them come and swarm our lobby." I smiled. "I'll have something prepared before the week ends. Araji?"

"Neh, sajangnim."

When the evening came, Ye Jin and I decided to have dinner at her place. It sounded like such a great idea because tonight, I was planning to convince her that it was high time for us to reveal our true status to the public. We both knew that it was impossible to keep this private forever after all, which was why, with the release of those photos of us, now would be the right time to admit that we were dating. 

"Ye Jin ah," I said, noticing how quiet she was over dinner. "Gwaenchanha? You haven't really been talking much ever since I arrived."

Ye Jin sighed in reply. 

"Have you seen the photos of us that were released on today's papers?" She said. "We were hugging and holding hands." 

"Yes, I have seen them and yes, we were hugging and holding hands." I answered. "Waeyo? Is there something wrong with that?"

"Of course there is." Ye Jin replied. "First and foremost, our privacy was invaded and second, I'm not ready to admit our relationship just yet." 

Well, there goes my plans of trying to convince her. 

"I really hope you don't take this the wrong way, Hye Jin ah, but we both know that we couldn't hide this forever right? People are bound to know about us. I mean, we're both public figures and it's not as if we don't go around Seoul outside work." I tried to explain. 

"You just don't get it, do you?" She suddenly said sourly. "This isn't about admitting that we're together. It's about how everyone, most especially the media, will react to our relationship. Yes, we have fans and some people that are openly supportive of our relationship, but there are also those who think otherwise. They will scrutinize us and every bit of our relationship and before we know it, we'll be pressured into turning into someone we're not just to please them. I don't want that to happen."

Sensing her worry, I quickly held her hand on top of the table. 

"Relax. You're just getting ahead of yourself." 

"Mwo?" She said, instantly taking her hand away from mine. "I'm not getting ahead of myself. I know you know what I mean." She added. 

I was starting to feel the frustration build up inside of me. I couldn't understand why Ye Jin was being so difficult right now. 

"Ye Jin ah, gwaenchanha?" was all I could say. 

Ye Jin looked away in reply. 

"I understand that the whole thing is stressing you out because it might taint your public image, but it's not like we didn't talk about this right?" I said. "In as much as we wished we were private individuals so we didn't have to deal with all of this, we aren't and it's something we'll just have to accept." I added. 

"We can't hide forever, Ye Jin. People are bound to find out in one way or another." I said. "I know you're scared of all the hate and negativity that might come our way, but that's just how it is in our world. You know that. We can't please everyone, so instead of focusing on that, we should just divert our attention to what really matters and that's us. You and me. How we feel about each other and how we're going to face this together." 

"Yeah right." Ye Jin replied. "It's easier said than done."

At this point, I was tired of arguing. I'd rather lose the argument than her, after all. 

"Don't worry. I'll take care of this." I said. "At this point, a statement denying our relationship will serve no purpose anyway, so I'll take legal action against those who released our photos instead." I added. "I'll file those complaints tomorrow."

Suddenly, silence befell upon us and I could see how Ye Jin was ashamed of how she had acted earlier. She had intended on holding my hand, but I was quick to retract when I could no longer take the heaviness in my chest. 

"Bin ah...'

"Mianhae." I uttered as I suddenly stood up. "I promised to love you till the end of my days, but I think I need some time alone right now." 

"Bin," Ye Jin said, her voice cracking up a little. "Tteonajima."

"I understand that you're worried about what other people might think. But what about us? What about me? Are we forever going to adjust to these people and let them rule our relationship?" I asked. "I'm sorry but... with the way you're prioritizing what other people will think about us instead of our relationship and our happiness most importantly, you remind me so much of the very person who broke my heart years back and what hurts the most is that... I thought you were different." 

As tears fell down my face, I slowly walked away. 

Ye Jin was calling out to me, but suddenly, my ears went deaf. 

I needed some time alone for a while. I needed some time to think.