The Truth

Should I?

When Bin revealed the identity of the person behind the unregistered number that was sending me cryptic messages for the past few days, I couldn't find it in myself to believe it. Why would Hae In's first cousin, who seemed like he had a bright future ahead of him, be so invested with destroying Bin and I?

First and foremost, we had never met in person. Why was he speaking as if he had known us, most especially me, for quite some time now? There were so many questions in my head right now and I knew that only Sang Ri could answer all of them. 

The messages just kept on coming, and they were getting worse by the day. Not only was he telling me to break things off with Bin, but that if I didn't, he would make sure that both our lives would be miserable forever. I admit that I was scared, reading his messages, but I knew that I had no other choice but to toughen up as Bin and I decided that we were heading to Myeongdong to meet Sang Ri once his theatre play was over. 

"Everything's going to be okay." Bin said reassuringly. 

"I hope so." I replied. 

The theatre play lasted for about an hour and a half. It was about a young man who had fallen in love with an older woman. Everything was going well for them, up until the woman meets a man her age and realizes that what she had felt for the younger one was mere infatuation, leaving the latter shattered as she marries off in the end. 

There were times when I had gotten goosebumps while watching the play as I felt as if I was being taken back to how Hae In and I were before. We genuinely enjoyed each other's company, had deep conversations about life and love, and I would be lying if I said that my heart didn't skip at a beat whenever he tried to be all romantic to me when the cameras weren't rolling. 

But then, I snapped out of my reverie in the end when I thought about the negative reactions that our potential relationship would elicit, which was why I had abruptly stopped communicating with him after our drama ended and shifted all my attention and energy to my career. It was then that I was casted for Crash Landing On You, and the rest was history. 

After the curtain call, we were acknowledged by the director as a part of the audience. Many people were shocked but delighted to see us, bringing out their handphones and cameras in an instant. In reply, we respectfully bowed in front of everyone and smiled. At this point, Bin and I no longer cared so much about being seen in public since everyone knew that we were dating anyway. I enjoyed the sense of freedom, but was still so bothered with the matter at hand. 

The photo ops didn't last for too long since we were led by security backstage to meet the cast upclose. It was then that my heart had started pounding like crazy. Bin and I were finally going to meet Jung Sang Ri. His performance as the young man in the play was pretty impressive, and I could tell that just like his cousin, acting was his passion. 

"Alright everyone, let us welcome, South Korea's top actors who had shown our play so much love, Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin!" The director said as we entered the packed dressing room filled with the cast who greeted us with a roar of applause, respectful bows and an "annyeonghaseyo" which was said in perfect unison. 

Sang Ri, who was sandwiched between two of his female cast members, seemed just as cheery as everyone, making it all the more difficult to believe that he had been the one behind all of this.

"As you all know, it isn't everyday that a theatre play is being graced by A-list stars which is why Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin's presence shouldn't be treated lightly by any of us tonight." The director began. "They have been doing extremely well in the industry, making sure that they star in dramas and movies that are of great quality, which is why I think that it is only right for us to hear their words of wisdom that we can surely learn from." He added. "Let us all listen well, shall we?"

I then nudged Bin to go first. 

"Uh well, first of all, good evening everyone." He said. "I'm not one to speak so much, but I just wanted to congratulate each one of you for a job well done. I know that being an actor, most especially a theatre actor, is not easy but you have all done so well that I felt every emotion that you wanted to convey. I personally would like to commend Jung Sang Ri for his portrayal. You were so convincing as the young man, that I couldn't help but think if you've experienced what he had experienced to be that emotionally invested in it."

I looked at Sang Ri as Bin said this, knowing that he had done so intentionally to elicit a reaction from the former, but all he did was smile genuinely as if he had no knowledge about the existing conflict. I was more convinced that he was not the one sending me the messages. 

"Kamsahamnida, Hyun Bin sunbaenim." Sang Ri bowed. 

"Anyway, acting is not something that you master overnight. It takes a lot of effort and time, so my advice to all of you as your sunbae is that, if you see this as your passion and your life, you must work hard till you achieve the success you've always dreamed of. Dashi hanbeon chukadurimnida (Again, congratulations everyone)!." Bin said. 

When it was turn to speak, I simply echoed his message and said, "I wish you all well, and who knows right? We might get to work with some of you someday."

After a few more photo ops and small conversations, the cast members started to pack up. It was then that the security team had informed Sang Ri that we had wanted to speak with him privately. He quickly entered the room we were in and looked so nervous, that I actually felt guilty for summoning him. 

"We're not going to beat around the bush anymore." Bin started, sounding a bit intimidating. "The main reason why we're here is to meet you, Sang Ri sshi. A few days ago, someone started sending cryptic messages to Ye Jin, so I had the number traced by a friend who works in the police department." He added. "It was found out that the number belongs to you." 

Sang Ri's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. 

"Chosuhamnida, sunbaenim. But I really don't know what you're talking about." He answered. 

Bin and I exchanged a brief glance in reply. 

"What do you mean, you don't know what we're talking about?" I suddenly asked, feeling a bit frustrated. "Isn't this your number?" I added, handing him my handphone that contained his messages. 

When he had read them one by one, Sang Ri let out a big and heavy sigh, and uttered the very name that had been on my mind ever since we got here. 

"Hae In hyung." He said. 

"Hyun Bin sunbaenim, Ye Jin sunbaenim, I think there's been a very big misunderstanding." Sang Ri revealed. "A few days ago, before these messages were sent to be exact, my cousins and I went over to Hae In hyung's house to have some drinks. We were intending on having just one can of beer each, but then one thing led to another, and before we knew it, we were all dead drunk." He started.

"I hurriedly left his house the next day because I was running late for an acting workshop, that I wasn't able to bring my handphone with me." Sang Ri added. "I called hyung up via landline after the workshop was done that evening, told him I'd come by to get my phone, but then... he told me that it was missing after he had his place cleaned up. He told me that the cleaning service he usually hired brough a new member along and suspected that he might have gotten it. He was quick to apologize though and had a new phone delivered to my doorstep." 

"At first, I thought of his actions as very suspicious but then, I shook off my thoughts thinking that Hae In hyung would never be capable of orchestrating something like this."

"Kuraesoyo (So)... are you confirming that Hae In has been sending me these messages?" I asked in disbelief. 

Sang Ri looked at me sadly and nodded. 

"Maldo andwae (No way). Mideulsu eobseoyo (I cannot believe it)." I replied, running my fingers through my hair. 

"Ye Jin sunbaenim, out of all of us Jung cousins, I'm the closest one to Hae in hyung and all I can say is this," Sang Ri explained. "Geuneun dangsineul maeu saranghamnida (He loves you very much)."

"Sarang?" Bin uttered, with his fists balled up. "You're telling us that he loves Ye Jin yet he does this to her? Neoneun bunmyeong michyeosseo (You must be crazy)."

"Hyun Bin sunbaenim, chosuhamnida. Jeongmalyo." Sang Ri said. "I know there's no excuse to what my hyung did, but please do know that he is not a bad person. He's simply being this way because he can't get over the fact that the love of his life didn't choose him." He added. "We've told him countless times to just forget about all this and move on, but it's been extremely difficult for him because he loves you so much, Ye Jin sunbaenim."

I breathed heavily. 

"Gumanhaeyo (Stop it). Butakhaeyo (Please)." I uttered, suddenly feeling this urge to faint due to the amount of stress that I was in. I quickly held unto Bin's arm for composure, and he gently wrapped his arm on the low of my waist.

"I think we've heard enough for today." Bin said. "Sang Ri sshi, I'm sorry for calling you crazy earlier. It was all out of anger and frustration." He added. "At least now we know that it wasn't you who has been sending these cryptic messages, but... neoui sachon (your cousin)." 

"I know you're feeling very apologetic right now, and we appreciate it a lot, but we'd appreciate it even more, if you tell Hae In that we know all about what he's done." Bin added. "We intend to face him one on one very soon, but I do hope that until then, he doesn't cause us any more trouble, because I'll be frank with you right now. I may be one of the nicest guys that this industry has ever had, but if anyone messes with me and the people I love, I will do anything to get them out of my way. Anything." 

With that being said, Bin and I slowly exited the room we were in. 

The only question in mind as tears filled up my eyes was this, " Hae In ah, waeyo?"