Vital

Should I?

"Baksangnim, geunyeoneun eottaeyo (Doctor, how is she)?"

I asked, as soon as Dr. Han Soo Ri, Ye Jin's doctor of 10 years, exited the private room she was in. 

"Well, Ye Jin's vitals are very good, and she has no underlying health conditions, so she must've fainted out of fatigue or too much stress." Dr. Han explained. "Being her doctor for more than a decade, I can tell you that this isn't the first time that this has happened." She added. 

"When Ye Jin overworks herself or her negative emotions get the best of her, her body tends to shut down. Hajiman, keokjeong maseyo (But, do not worry). I've run so many tests on her in the past, and I guess it's really just her body's way of reacting to certain things." 

As I heard Dr. Han's explanation, I nodded in relief. I was glad Ye Jin wasn't in harm's way. 

"Jeongmal kamsahamnida, Han baksang." I said, gratefully. 

"No worries." Dr. Han smiled. "Oh and before I forget. I know you're her boyfriend now, so I just wanted to give you some advice." She added. "I'm also Ye Jin's obgyne or obstetrician-gynecologist. In simple terms, I know a lot about her internally. Since the both of you seem to be of the right age, I don't think you should be taking things slow anymore. If you know what I mean." 

I blushed

"I know men aren't in a rush to have kids, but women tend to feel a bit pressured because of the fact that we carry the baby for nine months. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Ye Jin might have a hard time if she decides to conceive after 40, so you should just go for it. You've got nothing lose anyway." Dr. Han smiled as she patted my arm. "Kayahaeyo (I have to go). Joheun haludoeseyo (I hope you have a nice day)." She bowed respectfully and then she was off. 

As I watched Dr. Han go, I couldn't help but ponder on what she had said that women tend to feel pressured about pregnancy and having kids. This was something that Ye Jin and I rarely discussed over the course of our relationship, because I felt as if it was too soon for that, but after hearing her advice, I knew I had to bring it up when things were less problematic and once we had found the person who was sending her these messages. That was our number one priority, after all. 

When I went inside the room, Ye Jin was awake and reading the hospital manual that was by her bed side. She probably heard me enter, that she instantly put the book away and smiled when we met each other's eyes. 

"Nan gweanchanha (I'm okay), naega maja (am I right)?" She asked. 

"Mmmm." I nodded, pulling a chair to sit by her bed side. "Dr. Han said that you passed out because of fatigue or stress. You should have told me that you weren't feeling well earlier."

"I didn't want to worry you so much." Ye Jin said as she took my hand. "And besides, I knew I had everything under control or... at least I thought I did." 

I sighed in reply. 

"I know that admitting our relationship to everyone hasn't been easy for you. You aren't an open book, after all. What's private to you should be kept private no matter what, so I really am sorry for having to put you through this." I apologized. "And to make things worse, there's this douchebag who decided to show himself right on cue. But as I said, don't worry about a thing. I'm going to fix this before you know it. Yaksokhae (I promise)." 

Ye Jin gently caressed my face. 

"Bin sshi, you don't have to do everything alone. We're in this together, remember?" She said. "You have always been so considerate of me, and as much as I am thankful for that, I also need to go through these trying times to be a much stronger person. I can't simply stay sheltered my whole life. I should also be taking risks. Well, calculated ones."

We both smiled. 

"What I'm trying to say is that these may be difficult times for me, but I chose this path, so don't let me live so comfortably." Ye Jin said. "Let me face the pressure from the press, the possible backlash from the haters, and the confusing messages from the unknown texter. Nan gweanchanha (I'm okay), for as long as I have you by my side."

Hearing this, I planted a soft kiss on Ye Jin's lips. 

"Saranghaeyo." I uttered. 

"Nado saranghaeyo." She replied. 

A few minutes later, I felt my phone ringing in my pocket. I quickly excused myself from Ye Jin, so I could answer the call. It was Lee Ji Soo, my childhood friend who was working at the Gangnam Police Department. 

"Yobosaeyo?" I answered. "Ji Soo ah, you called."

"Neh, Tae Pyeong ah." He affirmed. "Regarding the number you sent to me earlier, I already had it traced and the results are back. Apparently, the number is owned by a certain Jung Sang Ri who lives in Incheon." 

"Jung Sang Ri?" I asked. 

"Neh, majayo (Yes, you're right)." Ji Soo confirmed. "As I was looking into his personal records and some articles on the internet, I found out that he's a 24 year old Performing Arts student at the Incheon National University. He's been participating in different theatre plays both in and out of the university and this coming Monday, he'll be performing at the Myeongdong Nanta Theatre." 

My eyebrows continued to furrow in confusion. Why was this Performing Arts student sending such cryptic messages to Ye Jin? It just didn't make sense. 

"Did you find anything else?" I asked. 

"Kurae (Well, yes) and I do think that this information might be vital for you." Ji Soo said. "I also found out that Sang Ri is actually the first cousin of Jung Hae In. The actor. So most probably, that's the strongest link that he has with Ye Jin." 

BINGO.

"Kamsahamnida, Ji Soo ah. You've always been someone I can rely on for anything."

"Anytime, Tae Pyeong." 

Upon ending the call, I turned to Ye Jin. 

"Kuego eottaeseo (How was it)?" She asked. 

"I think I may just know who's behind all of this." I answered.