VI: Met Again

Choice and Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

VI

 

2020

“Cut!” the director announced. He stood up from his seat as he clapped his hand to bring everyone’s attention to him, “It's a wrap for today.” He waved both hands to tell them they were free to go. “We'll resume filming tomorrow. Thank you, you can go now.”

Hong Chul immediately ran to him together with his stylist. The stylist changed his coat with the casual one he loved to wear on normal days. “Hye Sun's manager wants to see me; can you go home by yourself?” His manager asked. Je Hoon’s brows slightly furrowed and asked out of curiosity, “Hye Sun's, why?” Hong Chul shrugs both shoulders as he himself don't know the reason yet, “I don't know.”

Je Hoon nodded his head once, “Good then.” Upon hearing his response his manager stared at him sharply, as if warning him not to do anything stupid. “Hyung, I'm just going to have a walk,” he defended himself before Hong Chul could blurt out what he has on his head. He looked elsewhere to the village straight ahead as he continued, “to unwind. I fell so stuffy lately.”

Hong Chul could tell he was and acknowledged that he does need some time to clear his thoughts and maybe a time for himself would do him great. He nodded his head, backing off from possible debate; he willingly surrendered even before an argument could start. “Okay, but... don't be gone too long.”

Je Hoon gave him a nearly faint smile, thankful for his understanding.

They went back to their tent where his team was waiting for them. “You guys can go ahead,” he said as he took some make up wipes from his stylists' things and wiped away the thinly applied make up on him.

“How about you?” they asked.

“Don't worry,” he said holding up a cap to show them. “I can take a cab.”

His stylist offered him a mask, “Don't get anyone's attention.”

He nodded and took the mask with him as he went ahead.

Bowing his way out of the set and finally got his self somewhere quiet. He slowly puts both ends of the mask behind his ears as he wandered leisurely in a small village he found himself in. Seeing how empty the neighborhood was, he pulled down his mask under his chin. The wind blew and it brought in a smell of the freshly baked bread. He sniffed it following the direction where it came from. With his eyes looking straight ahead he suddenly stopped his tracks. Few feet away from him, was a woman who hasn't noticed his presence yet. A woman he knew so well; someone he missed so much for so long; someone he worries about. It's been long, Chae Won, he recited in his mind.

 

* * *

 

In the Café Chaewon have been just this morning and the day with Hyo Joo, she and Je Hoon sat across each other on the same table she had a while ago. “It has been long,” Je Hoon started hesitantly.

“It is.” Chaewon gave her short response.

A short pause before Je Hoon could say another words. “How have you been?”

“Good,” she lifted her gaze from the table as she returned him the question, “and you?”

“Just...” he couldn't find the word to describe how he was. He doesn't even know to which span of time he should evaluate. From time since they have separated? When he got married without really getting married? When she got married? Or when the scandal broke out? Because those hits differently to him. All in all, how was he? He didn't even have the time to ask himself that. “It was,” he was then interrupted by the arrival of their drinks, and he felt he was saved from saying what was real or lie of how he really was.

The server placed their drinks on their table then excused herself when done and once again silence dominated them. She cleared and this time broke the silence first. “What were you doing here?”

Thankful that she opened another topic, he responded, “I had a shoot near this village.”

“I see.”

“How about you?”

They had short talks and surprisingly the time dragged too slowly. They sure they have been there for a while but it only has been seven minutes since.

“I'm sorry,” he started after another pause. She raised a brow not so sure what he was sorry for. Of course he didn't see it as he has his eyes fixed on his barely touched iced Americano. “You got involved with a scandal because of me.”

Chaewon furrowed, she never blamed him for that and never did she think it was his fault. “You know you don't have to say sorry for that.”

“But I want to,” he started, trying to get a control of his own emotions that started to build up. “And for the pains I have caused you.”

Chaewon started to feel a lump forming in . Hearing him say those words slowly brought back the painful memories against her will.

 

2017 March

The next day after the news about Je Hoon and Hye Sun's rumored dating, her agency, XYZ Entertainment had confirmed their relationship and it was soon followed by his agency, 4U Entertainment's confirmation as well.

“We have talked to Je Hoon about the news and he has admitted to dating her. In addition to that he had written a short letter to his fans.”

The article said. Chaewon slowly scrolled through the article until he reached the part where his hand written letter was attached.

“This is Lee Je Hoon. I am writing this in address to my dating news. First of all, to my fans, I am sorry to surprise you with the recent revelation. About the topic, yes, it's true. Hye Sun and I are still in our early stage of dating, I hope you'll look at us in positive way. Once again, Thank you and sorry.”

‘Psh’ she breathed out bitterly. She set her phone on her bedside table and left her room. It's still early and that was the first thing she has seen after she woke up. Unknowingly it made her mood a little bad.

She went out of her room to get some coffee for herself. “Good morning sweetie,” her mother greeted with a sweet smile. “Good morning mom,” she replied with a half-smile. “Take your seat, the breakfast is almost ready.”

“No mom, I don't feel like eating.” She excused herself and went back to her room with only a cup of coffee in her hand. She could feel her brother who just went out of his room too, “What's wrong with her?” She heard him from behind but she didn't feel like caring.

She placed her coffee on her bedside table and went to her desk to snatch her script before she threw her weight back to her bed. She tried to read the story but she couldn't seem to focus. ‘Argh’ she threw the script on her side, grabbed her coffee and went back to the dinning to join her parents and brother who just started their breakfast.

“Ow.. look who just changed her mind,” her brother teased and she just rolled her eyes at him.

Her mother set a meal for her but she barely ate it. “What's wrong?” Her mother asked noticing she doesn't have much appetite. She smiled at her, “Nothing mom,” and lied.

“How's the script?” Her father asked.

Chaewon pressed her lips into thin line, “Umm, It's interesting but I still have to look more into it.”

The rest of her vacation stayed the same, she's out of focus and she knew it has something to do with Je Hoon's dating news. It's not like she's hurt or what. Strangely, she felt nothing.

Weekend came and she and her family went back to Seoul. Using her brother's car, they first dropped their parents to their house then he sent Chaewon to her condo unit. He stopped his car in front of the luxurious building when they arrived, “Are you sure you don't want to go in?” She asked and her brother just hummed yes.

She unbuckled her safety belt shortly, “Thanks oppa.”

“Chaewon-ah”

“Umm?”

“Everything's alright, right?” Her brother asked.

There was a short pause before she could manage to press a thin smile on her face, “Umm.” None of her family knew about her past with Je Hoon, but she could say her brother has somehow figured. It was just, she wasn't sure if he knew it was Je Hoon that she dated or not.

“Thanks, oppa.”

“For what?”

“For sending me home,” she smiled brightly and he just gave her a shrug. “And for asking,” the smile on her face still hasn't fade but it was not as bright as it was a second ago.

Young Bum could only give his sister a faint smile. “Umm, go on in.”

She nodded and hopped off the car. “Drive safe,” she told him before she shut the door close.

A week has passed since Je Hoon's dating confirmation and five days since she came back from her vacation with family. She was on the middle of painting when her phone rang. She put down her wooden palette and brush, setting it on the table beside her canvas. After her hands were free, she to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter