II: Phone Number

Choice and Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

II

 

Je Hoon made his entrance to a friend’s house. Due to the scandal, reporters were packed at his place as well as at his parents’ and manager's. There was no way he could come home at this time so he asked a friend for favor; to stay just until midnight.

A man who stands 183cm, sharp eyes, and oozing with charisma walked towards him with a cup of green tea in both hands. He sat on the couch next to the long couch Je Hoon was occupying. “Here,” he placed one cup of tea near him while he still held the other. “It will help relieve stress,” he said sipping on his own cup.

Je Hoon sat down from lying, “Thanks Jun Yeol.” He and Junyeol recently got close since they worked together for a reality show. It's not easy to keep in touch with co-stars due to different schedules, but it wasn't difficult for them to stay close up till now.

Seeing how Je Hoon was in deep thought, “What’s in there?” he asked without looking at his friend. Je Hoon did not quite catch up and asked for pardon, raising both brows in confusion.

Jun Yeol shifted his gaze from his cup to him, “There,” he referred to his head. “Or should I say, who’s in there?” he continued, emphasizing “who” in his question.

Je Hoon lowered his head, eyes on the steaming cup he was holding in between his hands. “Just... some thoughts.” He didn't say much and he doesn't need to for Jun Yeol to see through him.

“It's her? The one you talked about when we were in Cuba,” he stated already believing he was right. Je Hoon did not confirm nor deny; he doesn't have the energy to do any of it, he just stayed silent and for Jun Yeol that was a silent confirmation that he guessed it right.

Jun Yeol let the silence took over them. He didn't bother prying for details; if anything, he understood him. It didn't take much than expected when Je Hoon finally talked, “I called her to ask if she’s okay, thought I know she’s probably not.”

Two ears ready to listen to a friend, Jun Yeol didn't say anything and just let him say whatever he wanted to say. He nodded subtly to let him know he was listening even though Je Hoon's eyes are fixed on his cup and won't see it.

“I called her but I couldn’t bring myself to speak.” His lips started to curl upwards in a smile, yet a sad smile. “Then I heard her voice, it’s the closest to hearing it in person after so long.”

For the first time since Jun Yeol brought up the topic, Je Hoon looked at him. Surprisingly he did so well at hiding his emotions, “Now I think my reason for calling is just an excuse to hear her voice.”

Je Hoon actually had her phone number since that night ‘Architecture: Chapter One’ casts reunion.

 

May 2016

Seated across each, Je Hoon and Yeon Seok were having small talks while waiting for the others to arrive. Few minutes later Jo Jung Suk announced his arrival, “Look who’s here!” his voice was loud as he was still at a distance. Excitedly they turned to him.

“It’s been long,” Yeon Seok said.

Jung Suk greeted them with a manly side hug; he scanned with his eyes the small surrounding in front of him and wondered, “Are there only the three of us?” he asked.

“Director Lee says he’ll come later,” Yoon Seok informed.

He nodded and sat beside Je Hoon, who's secretly waiting for someone. “Ga In? Chae Won? Are the ladies not coming?” he continued to ask.

Yoon Seok produced small ‘mm’ sound as he looks to no one in particular, “Chaewon can’t.”

Je Hoon felt conflicted. Is it better this way, he won't have to see her? He pondered. It has been two years since they separated ways, and they haven't seen each other since. It's not helping that one of the reason of their fall out was this man in front of him, someone he was friends with, Yoo Yeon Seok.

When Director Lee arrived they decided to head out for dinner.

In the middle of having their last meal of the day, in between their chats; Yoon Seok received a text from Chaewon that said ‘Oppa’. He thought she might have changed her mind and decided to come over. He wiped his hands with the table napkin but when he was about to reply his phone battery ran out. He asked Je Hoon who was sitting next to him a favor, “Can I borrow your phone?”

Je Hoon zoned out for a second so Yoon Seok felt the need to explain, “My phone’s empty, I need to reply to Chaewon.” Hearing her name made him loose track of what was happening around him for a moment. “Hm?” Yoon Seok inquired.

He then took his phone that was resting on the table and gave it to him. “Thanks,” Yoon Seok said.

As an actor, memorizing scripts is what they were used to so it wasn't a surprise he memorized Chae Won's number. He sent her a message using the phone's built in messaging feature, telling her that they moved to a nearby restaurant. Without thinking much he sent the message without stating to whom it was from.

 

Meanwhile, Chaewon was contemplating whether to go or stay; she sent Yoon Seok a message that says “Oppa”. She wanted to know who came; if the person she was not sure she wants to see or not will be there, if Je Hoon was there.

“Who came?” she added. She was expecting they were having dinner at this time so she patiently waited.

Beep.

“We transferred to 서서갈비, hurry if you want to come.”

A message came from an unregistered number. She wondered if it was from Yoon Seok or not as it didn't mention whom it is from. Not even mentioning her name to indicate it’s a message sent for her. In the end she was convinced it came from Yoon Seok, but the question was whose number he used. For a second she was lost in her thoughts, “What if it's Je Hoon's?”

She decided not to delete the number, whoever phone Yeon Seok used it sure was safe. The people in the reunion are those she worked with, she trust them. And probably Yoon Seok deleted the message already, he can be slow witted but since he knew it was her secret number he will sure delete the message he sent.

 

After their dinner and long chats they decided to go their respective ways. Being busy doesn't give them much time to spend together but a simple dinner was enough for them to catch up with each other.

Lying in bed covered with grey duvet, Je Hoon spreads his arms sideways. It was a long day for him, his more drained emotionally rather than physically. He spent most of the night thinking from “Would Chaewon attend the gathering?” to “Why can’t she come?” It didn't even end there as his mind couldn’t stop making questions, “Perhaps she’s avoiding me?” one question leads to another; “Is it because she doesn’t want to see me?” and another “Why?”

He rolled over, digs his face on his duvet and screamed, “Stop thinking! Let me be in peace.” He begs to his own mind. When he's done letting his frustration out; he hoped off the bed, went over the night stand and grabbed his phone.

With hesitation he opened his messages and found Yoon Seok's message to Chaewon, “He must’ve forgotten to delete it.” A tiny smile could be seen forming in his lips, no denying he hoped the message was still there. He saved the number on his phone with her initials as the registered name.

Last month when he had an interview and was asked about his dating life, he denied having a relationship in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter