IV: Enlistment

Choice and Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IV

 

2012 March: Architecture: Chapter One Premiere

It’s been a little over two months since the filming wrapped up for Architecture: Chapter One; and it's also ben two months since Chae Won and Je Hoon saw each other again. Je Hoon has been filming two projects the past month and even went oversea filming for about two weeks last month. Both couldn't hide the giddiness they felt seeing each other again. "We should meet more often," Je Hoon suggests.

Chaewon could feel her cheek heat up; this is when she realized she's fallen for him. "Should we?" she tried to control her smile so it won't reach his ears; that way it won't be obvious that she's looking forward to see him more in the future days.

It wasn't all just a talk since they really see each other often in the next three months until they became busy again. Chaewon started to film for "The Nice Man" while the following month Je Hoon started filming two new films.

Their meetings were getting rare; yet despite Je Hoon being extra busy he still makes time to see her at least once every month. The longing just made their feelings stronger for each other. Two months of frequently seeing each other after Architecture: Chapter One premiere, Je Hoon finally asked Chae Won to officially date and Chae Won didn't hesitate and agreed, they were so in love and happy.

 

2012 September

Je Hoon is preparing for his military enlistment and started sorting out his schedules. Not too long ago he has receive his final draft, he already knew he needs to enlist sooner than later; he has yet told Chae Won of the news.

Wearing all black, Je Hoon is sitting on a bench waiting for his girlfriend Chae Won. It's three in the morning and it's chilly outside. While he waits he takes in the view of Han River under the dark starry sky. Five minutes waiting and Chae Won finally arrived. She too is wearing all black with extra coat covering her small frame.

"Oppa," Je Hoon happily smiles at the sound of her voice, he looks up to her who's still standing at his ten. She briefly met his eyes while giving him an adorable smile before she slowly turns her gaze at the view in front of them.

A part of the river shining brightly as the moonlight shine through it from above, the reflection of the moon on the calm water of Han River; and the person he's sharing this moment with makes this date even more special than she imagined. She has always wanted to try having a date in this famous public place for couples. It's simple, just like how she pictures out a perfect date.

Chaewon closes her eyes and inhales deeply feeling the cold breeze; holds her breathe for couple of seconds then released it. It's relaxing, "Thank you" she says. Je Hoon captured the view of her with his eyes; wanting to remember every small detail of this moment with her.

Chae Won sits beside him; he took her hands in his and brings it close to his mouth as he blows out warm breath to her cold hands then rubs it slowly. Her hands went warm in a second not just because of what he did but also because she still feels her insides warming whenever he touch her. Maybe she just loves him that much.

"We've been together for 120 days now," Je Hoon starts.

"It's that much now?" she smiled amazed. Despite having tight schedule that made days longer; it still felt like they just started to officially date yesterday, "But I want us to last longer," she pouts.

"Longer? Shouldn't you say we should last forever;" he complains and it made Chaewon shifts from her seat "Ah right," she laughs dryly. "Forever," she corrects herself.

"Well," he turns to his right where a small cake is sitting on the empty space beside him; he carefully lifts it and presents it to Chaewon. She was surprised he actually prepared something when a 120 days is not really celebrated, how much more with people like them. Nonetheless she's quick to help him take it out of its box and placed it atop on the now empty cake box.

Je Hoon took a match from his pocket and lighted the candles that are already placed on top of the cake. The candle says "120 DAYS" while the message on the cake says, "Let's count more days, months, and anniversaries, tomorrow until forever." Of course their initials were also written with a heart in between. They hold the cake together; supporting the cake from the bottom with her left hand and with his right.

The two of them closed their eyes knowing it’s time to say their wishes. Chae Won wished without wasting time, fearing the wind will blow out the candles before she could even finish making her wish. Je Hoon opened his eyes shortly after; he didn't make a wish instead he looked at her and prayed, "Let her be strong while I'm away. Let us find our way back to each other no matter what challenges may come our way. Remind me when I forget this prayer, because I don't want to make mistakes along the way."

Chaewon opens her eyes quickly, "You're done?" seeing Je Hoon already has his eyes opened. She pouts feeling disappointed, "So fast?" she thought he might not have something earnest to wish that he's done so fast.

Je Hoon just stared at her, how he hoped this day will be their everyday. He'll surely have lonely days in the camp, missing her. He moved closer; slowly closing the short gap between their faces, he closes his eyes as his lips meet hers. And she closed hers.

Wind blew and candles were unlit yet they didn't even have the time to care until his phone vibrated from his pocket. He pulled away slowly and she opened her eyes even slower, still lost in the moment. Je Hoon stares at her, thinking how could he ruin this date with the news of him enlisting? Though she knows he has to sooner or later, she'd still be unprepared to send him off in few weeks’ time.

Chaewon who still feels a little shy whenever they kiss is even melting in embarrassment with his intense stare. She decided to take an icing from the cake with her index finger and smears it on his lips, "Eat!" she says.

His reverie of thoughts washed away with her sudden gesture, he released a short soft laugh and moved his lips inward to eat the icing on his lips. Chaewon just stared at his busy lips and thought, how she'll miss him and his kisses.

Seeing how he successfully cleared out the icing from his lips, she repeated the action of putting some more and before he could react she leaned forward to take it out for herself using then pulled back after. She shifted her gaze to the view in front of them, avoiding his eyes. "I know what you're about to say," she softly says. He took the cake and placed it on his empty side.

So she knew, he thought. A little relieved because he doesn't have to tell her but also sad because it's really happening soon. It hasn't been long since they dated and they don't even get to date much; and now he'll be away for twenty one months with little to none chance of seeing each other on his short military vacation.

He puts his arm over her shoulders and scooted her closer; she rested his head on the crook of his neck. "Let's get through those twenty-one months together?" he stated more than questioning.

She nods subtly and whispers, "Separate, yet together."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter