Nuisance

Roommates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As sunlight entered her room, Yong-sun sat up in her unfamiliar bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she lazily got out of bed, shuffling on the cold wooden floors into the bathroom.

It was already 3 pm, and Byul-yi was out for work as she recalled, so she decided to spend this time alone to get used to the unfamiliar area, and get some groceries for their emptying fridge. After taking a quick shower and getting dressed, she scanned the kitchen, making a mental list of things to buy as she munched on some cereal boxes for kids she found in one of the cabinets.

'Does Byul-yi eat this for breakfast?' She wondered as she undid the towel wrapped around her head to dry it off.

As she dried her hair, she studied the map of the local area, noting bus stations and shopping areas as she put on her shoes, taking the spare key from the wooden bowl. Byul-yi still hadn't gotten her an actual key and told her to use the spare key in the meantime. Although Yong-sun found it easy to lose, the agreement they had prevented her from complaining about it and she accepted it, slightly hoping that she'd lose it to teach her roommate a lesson.

She managed to locate the nearest bus stop, a tiny shelter tucked away on a corner of their street as she waited for the bus, the only bus service that this stop served which connected this seemingly remote area to the outside world.

As she waited, she took in a deep breath, observing her surroundings, the new atmosphere different from the one she used to be in every single day. The stuffy, frantic life she used to live, working day in and day out.

Her passion was writing, but with a work-life that didn't see writing as necessary, it was troublesome having to find time to do the thing she enjoyed. She wanted independence from the suffocating job she had and found that independence in a woman named Byul-yi as her roommate. She didn't often share the fact that she enjoyed writing, as she didn't write professionally. "Then what's the point?" they always asked when she said she wrote for enjoyment. When she told her that she wrote as a hobby, she prepared herself for the same reply she gotten every single time, but instead, a few days before meeting her in person, she saw the first sign that her roommate wasn't as cold as she assumed her to be.

'It's good that you're doing something you enjoy'

Of course, a single message doesn't outweigh the many, many things she has yet to uncover about her roommate, and even though she knows Byul-yi is a nice person, somewhat, the replies she gives occasionally annoy her to no end, even if she doesn't intend to.

As she boarded the bus, she distracted herself with the map on her phone again, her thoughts drowning out the background buzz as she got off at a bus stop close to a shopping district, walking around to try and get used to the place in case she had to ever come back again, purchasing vegetables, fish, meat, and other kitchen needs like spices and oil.

Thank the One above that she had experience lifting weights, otherwise she would have died by the time she got back home.

Home.

Which way was that again?

Constantly studying the map without charging your phone overnight makes it a very dead phone.

As Yong-sun cursed at herself, she tried to re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter