hot and nasty

Night of shooting stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dark, boiling hot liquid ran agonizingly slowly down my legs, meanwhile a small puddle was already forming in front of my feet. At the edge of the step the dark grey paper cup balanced back and forth, as if it couldn't quite decide to stay or roll down the stairs, while the last remains of the coffee dripped out in a steady rhythm. 

 

I was, to be honest, unable to grasp a clear thought. I only consciously perceived this terrible burning pain and the soaked fabric of my trousers, which now stuck to my skin. I didn't know how long I stand completely motionless and with widened eyes between the stairs and the crowd of people or how many seconds it had taken until the first, horrified voices finally reached my ear and my consciousness, but this moment seemed like half an eternity.

 

»Oh my God!«, I finally heard the horrified scream of a girl at some point, followed by other voices. »Baekhyun oppa, is everything all right?«, I also thought to hear somewhere between all the voices. Unable and sometimes completely overwhelmed, I remained silent and blinked a few times to collect myself. This jumble of voices and noises suddenly seemed to come from everywhere. 

 

In addition, I was also touched from all sides - whether it was a tap on my shoulder, a soothing gently over my head or a shake of my arm. It was the shaking that finally got me to finally release myself from my rigidity. Dozens of thoughts suddenly seemed to gush through my head at the same time, while I began to hectically look around in all directions to find the culprit.

 

If I could get my hands on him!, I threatened in my thoughts and already imagined in my mind what I would say to this Sehun, what I would do to him - from insulting him, to strangling him - but there was nowhere to be found a single sign of this Jerk. 

 

Confound his impudence! I mean, couldn't this even deign to apologize to me? Well, basically I was to blame for the whole misery, but this was a matter of principle and Sehun probably didn't know what it meant to have decency and politeness after spilling his coffee on a defenseless person. I was foaming with rage - so much so that I believed that a hurricane was raging inside of me - while I let my eyes wander for the very last time, hoping to catch him after all. 

 

I indeed did not discover him, but I noticed the partly familiar partly unfamiliar faces of those who gathered around me, which suddenly made me feel strangely constricted and stared at - like an animal in a zoo. What was I? A monkey? Damn, my anger kept rising and rising. I breathed in deeply and slowly - and finally out again.

 

I knew that if I now let my anger run free by saying »What are you all staring so stupidly?!«, or something similar, I would have shocked the others, who actually weren't to blame for this thing at all and on top of that I would have just given them more material to gossip about. 

 

But because I wanted to prevent this at all costs, I just kicked this stupid grey paper cup aside with full force. Fortunately - and I could say this out loud, because I hadn't thought about any consequences beforehand - I didn't hit anyone with it. 

 

Suddenly, even as I could hear the hissing and whispering around me, I heard the authoritative voice of Mr. Lee fighting his way through the crowd from above. »Let me through!«, he ordered and split the crowd. At once I was able to breathe better, as the radius of the students increased around me and the unwelcome touches disappeared. When he reached me, he first inquired about my condition.

 

»Did you hurt yourself.«, he asked me as his gaze glided searchingly over my body and finally got caught on my wet, coffee-soaked trousers. »I think so...«, I started to answer, but was interrupted by the abrupt ringing of the school bell announcing the end of the break. Mr. Lee nodded understandingly, put one hand on my shoulder, and finally led me back up with gentle pressure.

 

»The show is over.«, he shouted to the crowd, who remained rooted to the scene and continued watching us. »Get back to your classes!« Instantly there were excited footsteps and the rustling of paper bags behind me. I did not look back, however, but merely let myself be directed unceasingly along the corridor, while looking down and looking at the alternating black and white marble tiles. 

 

The pain in my legs had eased slightly by now, but in some places it still burned as if I had been kneeling on hot coals not even a minute ago, and the coffee slowly drying on my skin, which suddenly made me feel more than dirty and unwell.

 

Mr. Lee, who of course didn't notice, took his hand off my shoulder again after an endless minute of silence and stopped in front of a double-wing door made of reddish-brown teak. I did the same and glanced at the sign that was attached to the wall on the left. 1-21, Im Yoona. Nurse / Infirmary, stood on it. My teacher knocked on the door twice before he pushed down the handle and the door opened. 

 

With a gesture of his hand he let me go ahead - and I wish I had never, never entered this room. The first thing I saw was the window on the opposite wall, which was open and let a mild breeze blow in, causing the pale yellow curtains on the left and right to dance gently. The walls were painted in a matching, slightly creamier shade of yellow, giving the room a friendly look.

 

To the left of the room was a long beechwood desk on which paperwork, pens, stamps and notes were piled up. It should have looked untidy, but it did not in the least. Behind the desk there were also several shelves containing files, books, a potted plant and a framed photograph. From the distance I couldn't see what was depicted on it, but I suspected it had something to do with Yoona - the school nurse.

 

On the other side of the room a part was covered by a white, opaque curtain. Probably there was a bed or a couch behind it - or whatever else one called these examination things, which were common in every doctor's office. Besides, there was an unpleasant smell of disinfectant everywhere, but that was not what made my blood freeze in my veins and I would have liked to escape. 

 

It was this silence, this unbearable nothing that filled the room. This treacherous rustling of the curtains in the wind, the lovely singing of the birds from outside, this seemingly idyllic environment.

 

It was just like home.

 

Every time I stepped over the threshold of my house, I was confronted with exactly the same image. Not a hospital room, of course, but the same treacherous silence as here. Peaceful, perfect. But this supposed paradise could no longer deceive me. 

 

After all, I knew only too well that there was no lasting peace. That this peace never lasted for long and was merely the harbinger of a violent storm. At the latest when Mum came home, this was the case. »You best cool your burn, and I'll look for Mrs. Im.«, my teacher suddenly pulled me out of my thoughts. Standing in the middle of the room, I had to watch how he was about to turn away from me to leave me behind alone.  

 

A lukewarm sense of panic spread through me. I don't want to be alone in this spooky room!, I thought and stopped my teacher following an impulse. »Mr. Lee, I wanted to ask you something else.«

 

»Yes?«, he stopped and turned to me again. With his hand already on the doorknob he looked at me waiting. »Well…«, I began hesitantly and chewed on my lower lip. What could I say now? Good God, that's what you get for speaking before thinking! 

 

After all, I cou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter