Unlucky number 13

Night of shooting stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dead silence. After the newcomer had introduced himself, no one dared to say anything, not to mention another indignant gasp for air from the classmates. I even had the feeling that even the annoying ticking of the clock had faded away while his words floated in space like an inauspicious thundercloud. and you better don't get on my nerves... don't get on my nerves. Again and again I could hear his voice in my mind.

 

Apart from that, it suddenly felt as if the temperature in the room had dropped rapidly, which made me shiver unconsciously and as if an incredibly crackling tension was vibrating in the air - almost as if you only had to stretch out your hand to reach for it. It was really incredible. 

 

After half an eternity, so it seemed to me, there was a sound to be heard again finally. A clearing throat, just before Mr. Lee raised his voice. »It seems this young man has a wonderful sense of humor.«, he said, and to underline his words, he began to laugh out loud. He laughed as if he had just heard the best and most grandiose joke of his life.

 

But if I had been asked, I would have said that it was probably the worst joke ever. So bad that it could almost pass for being funny again. As I said, almost, because even a blind and deaf person would have noticed how artificial Mr. Lee’s laughter was. Only the famous thigh slapper was missing and the hahaha. Seriously.  

 

Some of my classmates didn't really seem to know what to make of this whole situation, while others joined in this laughter, albeit cautiously and visibly confused, and others observed everything in silence. »So...«, Mr. Lee tried to save the mood after he recovered from his laughing fit and looked at the new guy again. »Mr. Oh, please be so kind as to take the empty seat next to Mrs. Kim.« 

 

He pointed with a nod to Jisoo, who was sitting next to me, who just pushed the empty chair next to her a little bit aside and knocked demonstratively on its seat. As if the new one was a kitten that needed to be lured and somehow I thought it was quite funny, considering this entire crazy situation. Not to mention the look Sehun gave her - priceless!

 

Of course I didn't start laughing but tried to suppress it spasmodically. I can't even imagine what explanations I would have come up with, especially since all eyes would have been on me, and I wanted to avoid that at all costs. 

 

Sehun set himself in motion in the meantime. Without paying attention to anyone else, he walked along the rows of tables until he arrived at our place and then silently glided onto the chair. With his hands buried in his trouser pockets he finally stretched out both legs so that he was lying more than sitting. Speechlessly I shake my head as I checked him out of the corner of my eye for a while. 

 

I came to the conclusion what a regrettable waste it was, considering his extremely attractive appearance with his seemingly arrogance and non-existent behavior. But actually, I couldn't care less who he was, how he was or what he do. After all, what was it called? The first impression of a person is sometimes the most decisive, isn't it? And Oh Sehun had definitely already catapulted himself out.

 

I turned away from him again. At the same moment, as if she had heard my thoughts, Jisoo leaned forward a bit too far, so that she towered like a pillar between Sehun and me and shielded me from Sehun's - at least that's how it felt to me - uncanny aura that surrounded him. It was just what I wanted.

 

»In the coming weeks and months…«, Mr. Lee suddenly raised his voice again to stop the murmuring that began to turn into a complete mess. »...you'll have plenty of time to get to know each other better. As your homeroom teacher, I hereby welcome you to your senior year.« He opened a drawer of his desk, which squeaked and yielded to the pressure, and brought out a pile of paper.

 

»Prepare for a busy school year.«, he admonished us and handed the pile to Junmyeon - our student council President - sitting in the front row. Immediately he took the top slip of paper and handed over the documents to his seat neighbour. On and on and on until each of us had a sheet of paper in front of him on the table. 

 

An annoyed went through the whole class afterwards. »Mondays till 5:30pm? Tuesdays and Wednesdays till 5:00pm? That's a joke, isn't it?« Jisoo asked stunned after she had checked her note, which turned out to be the new school schedule. »Well, Friday only until1:00pm..« 

 

»And look, on Friday we don't have to show up until 10:00 am.« Sooyoung, who had bent over to me and pointed to the two empty boxes of the school schedule with her right index finger, joined in. I chose not to answer. 

 

To be honest, I didn't care whether it was until one or half past five, because every hour that I could stay away from home was a happy hour for me, no matter if I had to do this time at school or spent it with Jisoo and her friends at El Dorado. Anything was better than being in this damned house calling itself home! Without thinking about it further, I folded my school schedule once in the middle and finally stuffed it into my bag.

 

»I ask you now, one by one, to come forward and do a number from this jar here.«, Mr. Lee went on without beating about the bush and lifted a dark blue box, which he shook briefly. »...to pull. Then you’ll find out what it is all about.« Chairs scratched noisily on the floor as the first students rose listlessly from their seats and walked to our teacher. 

 

I did the same as them, but was careful to walk as elegantly and straight as possible. Until suddenly something stood in my way and I threatened to lose my balance. »Woah, what's wrong with you, baby?« I heard J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter