Aeong pt 1

Dancing with the Devil

Narrator POV

"Ok, Ms. Jeon. My assistant here will spray some water on your face and clothes to resemble sweat. I want you to imagine that the sandbag over there is an opponent and go all out. Each take will probably span 10 seconds. After a few takes, we'll move outside nearby the Han river to film "

"Sounds good to me."

"Ok. Ms. Jeon. Quiet on the set! Cue music and start in 3...2...1!"

EDM music blasted through the speakers and filled the room. On cue, Heejin started to bounce around on her feet, giving it her all. Her eyes narrowed in on the sandbag, delivering a series of strategic jabs, crosses, and hooks. The opponent boldly tries to land a hit on Heejin, but she skillfully sidesteps and counters with a jab to their metaphorical side. They follow up with a right hook, but Heejin ducks in the nick of time, repositioning herself. 

"Cut! Time to review the shot. Good job Ms. Jeon. I think we might not even need another shot. Come review your shot."

The shot was glorious. The camera refocused itself on Heejin's stone-cold facial expression. No sound is heard as Heejin closes her eyes in slow motion. Then, on the beat, as soon as Heejin's eyes open, the pounding music and fury of attacks begin. The camera pans over Heejin's entire body, magnifying every detail from the slightest ripple of her muscles to the beads of 'sweat' on her face. The clothes perfectly contoured to her body, drawing even more attention to her athletic figure. Common consensus: Heejin was an athletic goddess in the clothes. No second shot was needed.

On the ride over to the Han River, Heejin's phone buzzed with a message from an unknown number.


Heyyyyyyyyyyyy youuu(Seen)

Howr r u doinng(Seen)

Heyyy no ignoer mee(Seen)

Y u not alk whenn ur the one who asjed me outtttt(Seen)


Just as Heejin was about to block the phone number, another 2 messages appeared.


It's mee, Aeongie. The cutest vetrenarnnn!(Seen)

Doc Hyunjinn herr(Seen)


This was the moment Heejin had been waiting for. She finally heard back from Hyunjin, who was...drunk? High? Hopefully just drunk and not both, not that any of the choices was preferable to Heejin.


(Seen)Hyunjin, are you ok? Either you are dead drunk or really cannot spell for your life.

Whhaattt? I didn't even hvae that many drinks. This corporate paryt thingy, tot under my controol ;)(Seen)

(Seen)Do you even know who you are messaging right now?

Arnt u thet cute girl from the gym who boxes(Seen)

(Seen)Yes, I am. Now, do you have anyone with you who can look after you? You clearly need someone to take care of you right now.

How bout u. Wher er u(Seen)

(Seen)Sorry, but I have work. What about......Hansol?

Oh yea, him. K Bi.(Seen)

Bye*(Seen)


Why was Hyunjin drunk so early in the evening? It was only 5:30 pm! More importantly, did Heejin really just send Hyunjin closer to her rival? Dammit.

That question remained in her mind for the remainder of the shoot. Luckily, since the remainder only required Heejin to stretch and jog around the Han river, the burning question didn't make her lose the shot. In fact, things were looking sunny for Heejin. In the short period of time that the crew stationed themselves at the Han River, a small crowd formed to spectate. The director decided to let the spectators stay, on account that they did not disrupt the shoot. Nothing particularly exciting happened. Everything was very direct and to the point. Film the take, review it, revise it, end filming. Just like that, the shoot ended, praise was exchanged, and Heejin went home for the day.

 

Or, at least that's what she thought would happen, but life has its way of surprising people.

Heejin's POV

Another message from Hyunjin? She's probably still drunk.


Hey Heejin, it's me, Sooyoung. Come pick your girl up from the club that Lip's heartthrob DJs at. 

Why didn't you just contact me on your phone?

It's dead. Plus, this way (Hello sober Ms. Kim) Hyunjin can see that you are helping her. Have you wrapped filming yet?

Yeah, and I was on my way home. I guess I'll tell the driver to make a detour. I'm currently...what now...6 minutes away?

Ok, see you then. Until you arrive I'll be protecting her.


"Excuse me, Mr. Park, can you take me to the Ozone Eclipse Club, please? Sooyoung is there with a friend and we need to send Sooyoung and that friend home."

"As you wish, Ms. Jeon. However, I hope that you would advice Ms. Ha to visit the club less often. I'm not sure if that is the kind of publicity she wants."

"Yes, I know Mr. Park. However, you and I both know how stubborn Sooyoung can be."

I really hope that Hyunjin is ok. If she was barely coherent an hour ago I can only fathom her current condition.

. . .

Only as we pull up to the OEC do I realize that there is some kind of event going on today. The club is only letting girls in. As I already know the bouncer, Shownu just lets me into the club and tells me where Yves is. I spot her, with a very intoxicated Hyunjin by her side, sitting at one of the smaller booths in the far left side of the room, right by the dance floor. As I walk over I try my best to mentally prepare for whatever was about to happen.

"Oh thank goodness you're here. Here, make sure she gets home safe and sound."

"Do you know how much she has been drinking or how long she has been here?"

"From what I could decipher from her slurred words, she was originally drinking with her coworkers at the bar 2 blocks away from here. She claims that she wasn't tipsy at that point. After a few rounds of drinking the older coworkers and supervisors left. Once only the younger members were left, the guys stayed at the bar to watch sports while the girls came here. She says that all of her friends left with other people. That brings us to the current situation."

"Yeah I don't buy that she wasn't tipsy. She texted me around an hour ago and was completely unable to spell. Did you try giving her parents a call?"

"Well, you see, when I texted you using her phone, she unlocked it for me. But now, she won't let anyone else take her phone away from her. She also forgot her own password, so I think we are out of luck. I saw that she had a fingerprint sensor on her phone, so I tried her right hand's thumb, index, and pointer finger. None of them worked and I got timed out for 10 minutes. There's currently still 2 minutes left on the timeout clock."

". Well I'll try again just in case. Hey. Hey Hyunjin? It's me, Heejin. Do you know where you are right now?"

"...It Heekki!! Hiiiiii I'm Aeongieeee~!"

"What sort of gibberish is she talking about? You see what I've been trying to decipher for the past 10 ish minutes?"

"Heeeeekki, thisss is Yves. Sooyoung, this is Yves. Wait no, Sooyoung is Yves! Hahaha"

"Yes, that's right, Those are my 2 names. Now Dr. Hyunjin, can you answer Heejin's question?"

"Huh? Whoo's Heejin? I only knowww Heekki!! Heekki Heekki Heekki!!! Cute boxer!"

"Ok I'm really concerned now. Hyunjin, listen to me. Can you tell me where you are right now?"

"The CEO Club? no...the ECO club! kekeke see I'm totally cool. Hey...aren't you two dating or sommmething? Yoouu should go oofffffff and be togetheeerrr! I have my alcohol here~"

"No, Yves or Sooyoung or whatever you want to call her, we are not an item. Now Hyunjin, can you remember your phone password or which finger you use to unlock your phone? We need you get you home and in bed early. Do you think you could call your parents?"

"My phone password? ummmm I don't know haha. My parents live in a palace farrrrr faaaar awayyy~"

"Goodness gracious. Alright well do you remember anyone's phone number? Someone who you are close to and that you can call?"

"Heejin. The girl can't remember her own 5 digit phone password. How can you expect her to remember someone else's entire phone number?"

"Hmmm I don't knoww. I don't know Hansol's number and he hasn't responded to my text messages. OHHHH margarita~! Waiterrr three drinksss hereee~"

"No, no, we're good. She can't have any more alcohol, thanks. Hyunjin, can you follow me Yves and I outside? Yves, how much longer on the lockdown timer?"

"I have no idea. I can't see her phone."

"Hyunjin, can you let either Yves or I see your phone really quickly?"

"Nooo...I use my phone for Kit-Kat only"

"The hell is Kit-Kat?"

"Yves, patience. Hyunjin, can you tell me who or what Kit-Kat is?"

"My cat. Kit-Kat. He looks more like bread though. OHHH do you want to see pictures of my him??"

"Ummm, sure? How about this. You introduce me to Kit-Kat and let me see his pictures in your gallery."

"Heejin now's really not the time for you to be talking abo-"

"I know what I'm doing Yves. Watch."

I see Hyunjin open up her body from its previous scrunched up form. Her hand reaches into her back pocket and she takes out her phone. She clicks the button on the side and a lock screen with Hyunjin holding an orange calico cat. The lockdown timer has elasped. She goes to unlock her screen, but then proceeds to stare at her hands for an oddly long period of time, as if in a trance.

"I don't remember...which hand...finger"

"Can I take a closer look at the picture of you and Kit-Kat?"

"Yay Heekki and Kit-Kat!"

Hyunjin hands her phone over to me and I swipe to unlock the screen. A hint is given for the password: what is Kit-Kat's favorite word?

Taking a wild guess, I type in the word "aeong". To my complete and utter surprise, Hyunjin's phone unlocks.

"Heejin WTF?! How did you correctly guess her password?"

" of luck?"

"Yay!! Phone unlock! Now to show you morrreee of Kiiit-Kit-Kat." 

Hyunjin tries to take her phone back from me, but in her drunken state her depth perception is off and she is quite sluggish in her movements. Yves immediately gently sits Hyunjin back down.

"You can introduce me to everything about Kit-Kat on the ride home, ok? Yves I just found her mother's phone number. I'm gonna head outside and give her a call. Can you look after her in the meantime?"

"Roger that."

 

I walk outside. Away from the blasting music and heated atmosphere into the tranquil and refreshing breeze.

bbrrrrinnnnggg......bbrrrriinnnggg

 

"Hello? How is the party going sweetie? When are you coming home?"

"Hello, is this Ms. Kim Hyunjin's father?"

"Umm, yes. And might I ask who is speaking right now?"

"Hello sir, I'm Jeon Heejin, one of your daughter's...acquaintances. I just wanted to ask for your address. Your daughter is currently extremely drunk and not in a condition to be on her own right now. We're currently at the Ozone Eclipse Club and I wanted to send her over to her home, where she will definitely be under better care."

"Oh my! Thank you very much Ms.. uh Ms. Heejin for your help. Let me send you the pin to our location...there you go. Thank you so much and I'm sorry for the hassle that our child caused you."

"It's no problem at all sir. Your daughter and I will be arriving in around half an hour. Have a good night sir."

"Ah yes. Thank you, thank you."

Returning to the booth, I pull Yves aside and relay the conversation to her.

"Do you want me to go instead? I have the time and ability to. You have a schedule to handle tomorrow."

"It's fine. My filming is in the afternoon. I'll be ok."

"Are you sure? In that case, do you want another set of hands to help you take care of her on the ride there?"

"Mr. Park and I should have it handled. As soon as I arrive at Hyunjin's I'll hand her over to her parents. They'll be able to take care of her better than both of us combined. Plus, don't think I can't smell the alcohol in your breath. You drank too. You just have a higher tolerance. Knowing you, you most likely haven't eaten anything yet. Go grab a bite to eat. You have training tomorrow too. If coach realizes that you drank tonight he'll go nuts."

"Ugh, since when have you taken over Lip's job of being the mom? You do make some good points though. Keep me updated on her condition and how she is doing though, ok? I care about her too now."

"Alright, roger that."

Yves and I help guide Hyunjin to the exit. There were multiple times where we almost lost her amongst the sea of constantly moving people, but somehow we ended up completeing our goal. Reading the atmosphere and situation, Shownu opens the doors of the club for us, swiftly handing me a small box of hangover medication. Shownu might seem like an intimidating and stoic giant, but within those broad shoulders and burly stature lies a heart of gold. If only more men in the world were as considerate as he was.

Once Yves and I get hyunjin secured in my car, Yves heads to her own car and drives away. As Yves car pulls out of the lot, I hand the address over to Mr. Park, who inputs it into the car's navigation system.

The travel time with traffic accounted for is 40 minutes. The ETA is 7:05.

This is not how I imagined I would meet her parents.