Lost

Dancing with the Devil

Heejin's POV

Being fully honest, while I am happy that both Yves and KimLip eonnie found the girls they were looking for, mine has yet to arrive. It's 8 pm now, and the doors have officially closed. Some people have trickled in, but it is impossible to enter the front doors without receiving scrutiny from a minimum of 10 people. 

I think she did mention that she would be busy. If that is the case, then it can't be helped. She's an accomplished woman with a demanding profession...damn she's so hot. She's got brains AND beauty. Perfect. I can't just see her once and let that be it. That was middle school Heejin, baby gay Heejin. But now...rip baby gay Heejin. Only with your sacrifice was it possible for current goofy gay Heejin to exist. Your sacrifice has not been forgotten.

And I happen to already have an idea as to how I'll meet her again. For now though, there's no use in wallowing in sorrow. I'm supposed to be a good host. Time to celebrate! Juice bar here I come!

 

Jiwoo's POV

Dammit. I can't believe that Ms. Sooyoung recognized me from the cafe. God, I was so dumb too! I could have easily just denied going to the cafe but I panicked. Can't help it though. The owner is a family friend. The strawberry shortcake and apple crisp there is really good too! Just as I was about to enter the cafe and meet with the owner, I looked up from the display case and saw Ms. Sooyoung, or Yves as she is now called, blissfully drinking some kind of drink. I automatically entered a trance, so when she looked up and met my gaze, I freaked out and sped away. After that day, I would occasionally see her enter the cafe. Who would have known that barely a month later, I would be writing about her relationship news with another woman? Who am I kidding...all of the good ones are already taken, and at least Ms. Jeon makes Ms. Sooyoung happy.

Sooyoung stationing herself by the bar is REALLY affecting my performance. I haven't broken any glasses or mixed up any drinks yet, but having the mix and pour drinks while under the attentive observation of Sooyoung is not easy. I feel flushed all over and I haven't even had any drinks yet!

On a more serious note, there must be around... a minimum of 70 people here. This party is a bit smaller than I anticipated. Maybe towards the end of the party, if I politely ask Heejin, she'll tell me. Due to the sheer number of people, some other hotel staff joined me in making drinks.

So far, nobody has noticed my actual purpose yet. I've set up the secret cameras in the perfect places, and as far as I'm concerned, my glasses and pen within my pocket are still recording. 

Interestingly enough, not many people are coming over to the bar. They mainly headed over to the juice bar or just drank water. As if she read my mind, Ms. Sooyoung beckons me over and leans in closer.

"Don't feel sad that they aren't giving you the most attention. Most of the people here are either athletes or idols. Drinking would be bad for their performance. Besides, there are some executives and higher-ups at this meeting, so heavy drinking isn't encouraged."

"Then why are you stationed here?"

"Ouch buttercup! That hurts! Can't you tell that I'm trying to protect you from some of the not so nice guys here? I know almost all of the male athletes in my company. While some are absolute angels, others are not the type of people a cutie like you should associate with."

"Meh, you don't have to worry about that. Jerks...men in general, aren't really for me."

"Oh? Interesting."

The crisp clink of the ice cubes in Ms. Sooyoung's drink is barely audible above the loud and echoing music that fills the room. However, that, paired with the bedroom eyes she gives me as she downs her drink burns me up inside. I'm definitely going to have to edit out the footage of this flirting before sending it to my boss. 

"Ahem... Out of pure curiosity, I saw an article written about you in dispatch. It said that you and Ms. Heejin were in a relationship. Is this true?"

"Hahahaha no not at all. Reading that article made me laugh so much. I understand that those who work for dispatch have to make sure that their articles get views, but sometimes the generalizations they make amuse me. Apparently Lip knows the chick, 'Said that the girl was a close friend from high school, but one of the few that I don't know."

"Oh cool."

"Do you want anything? I know there's a dessert table nearby, and I'm sure a sweet little thing like you would have a sweet tooth."

"Are you usually this forward and flirty with those around you Ms. Ha?"

"Please, call me Sooyoung. And to answer your question, only occasionally if a really cute girl with a 3rd-degree blackbelt in taekwondo presents herself before me ;)"

 

Hyunjin's POV

I hate blind dates, yet here I am. My parents want me to meet a few suitable people before I turn 25 and they want grandchildren before I turn 30. This is the first guy that I'm going on a blind date with. To be fully honest, I don't understand what the rush is. I have 5 more years! That, and I haven't come out to my parents yet as biual. At this rate, my parents will only set up with guys, no girls. I don't even know if my parents would still support me if I came out to them.

My thoughts drift to earlier this morning with Ms. Jeo- I mean, Heejin. just Heejin. She was quite the character. She made herself close enough to tug at my heartstrings and tease my emotions, yet just far enough that she's outside of my grasp. My mind keeps on replaying what she said before that devastating wink and smile.

"Before I leave, if you change your mind about tonight, check your back pockets. I'm fun, I promise."

"I'm fun, I promise."

"I'm fun, I promise."

 

"Excuse me, are you Kim Hyunjin?"

The guy who returns my gaze is easily the most clean-cut, dapper guy I've seen. My parents told me that he's an engineering design major studying at a nearby prestigious university. 

"Yes, I am. Are you Lee Hansol?"

"Yep. It's nice to meet you! I see that we are both 10 minutes early. in your case, probably longer. I hope I didn't make you wait too long? That wouldn't make a very good impression of me now, would it?"

"Yeah not at all. No worries though. It's been barely 5 minutes. Shall we get started then?"

"Yes, of course."

 

Jinsoul's POV

Lippy is colder and less talkative than I expected. I remember seeing her a few times at the club. In a sea of people with darker colored hair, her platinum blonde hair really made her stand out. She was the calmest in her trio of friends. The taller friend who is now sitting at the bar always hit on girls. Meanwhile, the shorter friend who just opened the door for me always made some friends and signed a few autographs before going absolutely crazy on the dance floor. Lippy usually just sat at a booth drinking alcohol, but never enough to make her completely drunk. Occasionally, with some persuasion from her friends, Lippy would dance and interact with other guests. I've always thought that she was kinda cool, but now I actually get to become close friends with her! Or, at least I thought. Things don't seem to be going very well. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? Even now, I think she might be avoiding me. She told me that she needed to leave for a moment and would be back soon, but now she's just camping out at the juice bar talking to the shorter friend. Maybe something happened?

 


Meanwhile...

"Oh come on Lip! I sent her over to you like the amazing wingwoman I am and you blanked?!"

"I didn't know what to do and I did that tsundere thing you were talking about again! Lord, I probably seemed like such a ."

"Well you should grab her a drink and walk back over. Isolating yourself by coming over to me definitely won't help the situation. Get her a drink and walk over before you turn from a mom to a grandma."


 

Now that a new song has started it seems like Lippy is coming over with some drinks and desserts in hand. I could go for a drink right now, regardless of whether it's alcoholic or not.

"Hey, thanks for working so hard. I didn't know what type of drink you liked, so I got a blueberry smoothie and some tteokbokki for you. If you want some alcoholic drinks, then I can call Sooyoung and one of the bartenders for you."

"Oh thanks! I'll gladly take both. You know, some of the food options here are oddly healthy for a party."

"Haha yeah. That's what happens when most of the guests are members of the company and their plus-ones. Since many members of the company are either athletes or celebs, corporate makes sure there is minimal fun in our life and takes away many food and drink options. I kid you not, we had to beg corporate to allow us to drink alcohol today."

"Oh wow, that's surprising. I guess I can understand some of the reasoning behind the restrictions though. You want to maintain a pristine image and the promotion of alcohol can influence that negatively. Plus, some of you have a younger audience, so you don't want to promote drinking to them."

"Wow Jinsoul, you're very insightful!"

"Yeah I even surprised myself. Most people assume I'm a dumb blonde, but I'm actually quite good at math. I ranked 17 in my entire grade."

"Oh wow. If I may ask, how did you get the job as a DJ?"

"It's a part-time job. That's why I'm only at the club on weekends. During weekdays I have uni to go to, so yeah. My uncle's friend knew one of the owners of the club and recommended me. I'm lucky."

"Oh cool cool. Area of study?"

"Music composition actually. I have studied piano for 9+ years now. I can rap and I think I'm definitely the coolest of all my friends."

"Well you aren't cool anymore - I mean, you aren't the coolest anymore. I'm definitely cool. I have the muscles to prove it."

"Are you sure you haven't had any alcohol? You seem to be having trouble speaking."

"No, I'm totally fine. I um...sorry I'm usually more of a solitary person."

"Totally understandable. I figured that too. I've noticed that you seem to be the shyest one in your trio. You usually just sit at a booth and lightly drink. No offense, but if you aren't there for the party atmosphere, why are you there?"

"Wait...you've noticed me enough to know my habits?"

"Yeah. I mean, it's hard to not notice a platinum blonde girl in a sea of people with darker hair."

"Oh, ahem... Yeah. Well, I'm the mom - the coolest one though - of the friend group. If you've noticed the behavior of my friends, someone needs to keep them in check, especially lady killer over there."

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, but hey Lip I'm gonna head out really quickly to pick Haseul up. Her show at the opera house just ended."

"Yeah no problem, thanks for checking in. Have fun!"

"You too Lip! but don't have too much fun ;). Jinsoul, right? Can you do me a favor and keep an eye on her? As you've probably noticed by now, the party scene isn't really her thing unless she's had a few glasses."

"Sure, I'd be happy to look after Lippy. I think I'm older than her too. How old are you Lippy?"

"21. And you?"

"23, but since we're such close friends now, you can speak to me informally. It's ok."

With that, Heejin left to go pick up someone who I assume is another friend. Opera? She must have some good vocals then. Oh crap, it's time for another song. Hmmmmm... maybe as a test I could play the song I created.

"Hey Lippy, wanna help me remix an original song?"

"Oh um, are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure. I think I'm gonna call the song Love Letter. So, wanna try?"

"Ok."

 

Heejin's POV

Haseul is like my other mother, besides my actual mother and Lip, of course. For as long as I remember, she has had the most gorgeous singing voice known to man. A few months ago Haseul eonnie scored a job at this establishment, the local theatre and opera house. Since then she is commonly seen playing lead roles, singing her heart out, and earning rave reviews. She's quite busy, but luckily our friend group still makes time to see each other.

My car slowly cruises to a stop in front of the venue. Parking the car, I twist my body, leaning towards to back seat to grab Haseul's gifts. Our friend group has a tradition of giving Haseul flowers and other small miscellaneous trinkets after the last show for each play. Today was the last showing of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night  All of the staff know me by now and have given me a free backstage pass. Luckily, this time, Haseul is waiting for me outside. She's preoccupied with introducing someone to her castmates. The guy seems to be about my age - likely a bit older - and radiates a formal aura with his business casual attire. 

As I gather the last of my gifts for Haseul and prepare to head outside, a bright light shines out from the doors of the venue. It makes its way over to Haseul and her castmates, so bright that for a moment I forget that the others are there. That is, until the light surrounds itself next to the young man, who wraps his arm around it and embraces it. Reciprocating the action, the light now shines brighter, emanating warmth. Yet, my heart feels ice cold.

"Oh um, I might be busy tonight, but I'll consider it. You see, I actually have a blind-"

Blind date. Dr. Hyunjin actually had a blind date to go to. 

 

Haseul spots my car and comes running to the window, beckoning me outside. Please, anytime but now. I don't think I can face her right now.

*knock knock*

"Hey Heejin, come outside! I want to introduce you to someone!"

"Actually, if it's ok with you I want to get back to the party as soon as possible. Apparently Lip has something special planner later and I don't want to miss it."

"Come on, I promise it won't take long. Less than 5 minutes, tops."

I need a change of mindset. I can't give up so easily. If he's my competition, then I need to be at my best. Besides, it's not like I haven't feigned emotions before. With a flip of my hair and a puff of my chest, I exit my car and walk over. As my gaze meets Hyunjin's, I see her visibly tense up and try to hide behind the guy.

Charismatic and collected...charismatic and collected...charismatic and collected...

"Hansol, this is Jeon Heejin, boxer extraordinaire. Heejin, this is Lee Hansol, the top engineering student at the nearby prestigious university. Now both of you can finally put a face to the name."

"Hi, nice to meet you! As Haseul just said, I'm Hansol. I watched your competition yesterday with some of my buddies at the bar and you really killed it out there! The whole bar cheered your name when your opponent flew outside the ring."

With a momentary glance over at Hyunjin, I choose my next words very carefully.

"Thanks. I always make sure to size up my opponents and search for any weaknesses or flaws. I think that's what helps me succeed."

"Damn that's fierce. As expected from a fighter! Sorry to cut this short but it is pretty late and I would like to get my lady friend over here home."

"Oh well, Heejin is actually holding a party right now. That's actually where I'm headed after this. Wanna join Hansol? Ms. Hyunjin could come along as well! I'm sure Heejin and others wouldn't mind. The more the merrier, right?"

Hansol looks to Hyunjin for an answer but receives none. Hyunjin just stares at me long enough for everyone to notice.

"Oh right, where are my manners. This is Kim Hyunjin, my date for tonight. Gorgeous, isn't she? She's also kind and caring too! She's a veterinarian. Ms. Hyunjin, this is Ms. Heejin."

"Oh we've met before. Just this morning actually. She's really skilled...at her job."

"Haha yeah I presume so. So Ms. Hyunjin, would you like to go to Ms. Heejin's party or shall we call it a night and I'll drive you back home?"

"I um...uh... can we call it a night? I'm actually pretty tired."

"Whatever m'lady commands, I shall do. I guess this is goodbye guys. Nice to see you again Haseul, and it was nice to meet you Ms. Heejin and cast members!"

"Bye Hansol! Have a nice trip!"

 

Seeing Hyunjin leave in Hansol's arms, I knew that I had already lost round one. Would there ever be a round 2?