What's up doc?

Dancing with the Devil

Image result for bugs bunny what up doc

Hyunjin's POV

"Hi, I'm Kim Hyunjin. You must be Miss Jeon Heejin?"

"Yes I do- I mean...yes, yes I am."

The pictures didn't do her justice. Miss Jeon, even in this state, is still extremely beautiful. Her hair has a slight purple spark and the scent of roses to it. She dawned an all-white laced dress and a black choker with strings that hung perfectly above her collarbone. Her lips really sparkled, probably from lip gloss...or just her natural beauty. I just...wow...it's hard to conceive that I just watched this same person knock her opponent out of the ring...

I extend my hand forward for the obligatory doctor-owner handshake, but for some reason, I'm looking forward to this handshake more. I don't want to mess with someone as otherworldly as her. I wonder how strong her grip is, given her strong build. What I wasn't expecting was such a delicate handshake. Her grip on my hand was so light as if she believed that she would hurt me if she gripped any harder. Her hands are soft and warm, yet I can feel the outlines of multiple calluses. Oh boy, at this moment the handshake has probably lingered on too long.

Retracting my hands from hers, I turn my attention instead to Haneul. I have to be professional...I just got this job recently, I can't make any mistakes while my supervisor is watching.

 

"Alright, let's get started. It's my understanding that Miss Ha Sooyoung cannot be here today, so she sent you, Miss Jeon."

"Yes. Also, just Heejin is fine. May I ask how old you are? I just want to know if it would be appropriate to speak informally. You look extremely youthful, which is why I asked."

"Haha, that's fine. I'm 20 years old."

"20?! That makes us friends! How are you a veterinarian already? Aren't there requirements for multiple years of schooling?"

"Ah, that's understandable. I'm lucky enough to score this job because I was at the top of my class. Also, connections."

"Oh. Cool. Well doc, um...what's wrong with Haneul?"

"Well, you tell me. You haven't actually told me what you know yet."

"Right... Sooyoung told me that yesterday a feral cat swiped Haneul's nose. In addition, he started limping. It seems like he's shifting his weight onto his left side, so I think there's some type of injury with his front right leg."

"Wow Miss Heejin, you are more knowledgable than I thought. What you said definitely seems to be the case."

"Thanks for the compliment I guess? As both an athlete and someone interested in sports medicine, I just made an assumption based on some symptoms."

"Well, your assumptions are spot on! For the scratches on the nose, I'll check for signs of infection then give you some antibiotic creams with instructions for application. As for the limping, I'll have to take an x-ray scan to see if anything is broken. In the meantime, make yourself comfortable."

"Ok, sounds good. Thanks doc."

 

While checking up on Haneul I tried my best not to be distracted by Miss Heejin. However, I couldn't help it and occasionally snuck glances in her direction. She sat there so casually with her phone in her hands, yet her presence filled the room. As I turn my head to look at her once more, she raises her head and her gaze meets mine. , I got caught. All I can do is smile in hopes of saving the situation. Just be natural Kim Hyunjin...in school you had guys all wrapped around your finger, albeit not liking any of them, but just be smooooth. Smooooth. 

Her reciprocated smile, though casual and fleeting, reminds me of the spring season and cherry blossoms...Crap I gotta take care of Haneul.

 

Heejin's POV

Wow. Hyunjin is my age but is already so successful and knowledgeable. She's so cute too! Why do I always run into the hottest women in my worst moments? Right after getting braces, right after I get K.O'ed by an opponent...ugh.

At this point, we've been sneaking glances at each other. I'm not sure if Hyunjin has caught me staring, but I've noticed hers. She'll sporadically glance in my direction then return her attention to treating Haneul. I swear, she's even cuter while flustered. My new favorite activity will be to make her gay panic ;). Her panicked eyes, flushed cheeks, and delayed awkward smile leave me with no choice but to smile back. When Yves told me about her she forgot to mention that the veterinarian is CELESTIAL.

(Seen) Yo Yves, I'm disappointed in you.

Oh boy, what is it now? I don't think I've done anything wrong recently. (Seen)

You told me that the veterinarian was stoic & crazy, but that's not what she's like at all. She's been all smiles as far as I'm concerned. Also, you forgot to (Seen) mention that she's literally the hottest veterinarian in existence.

Wow, Stitch. Didn't know veterinarians who bark were your type. (Seen)

(Seen) Oh shut up. Anyways, she's been sneaking glances at me and is all giddy. I don't wanna push my luck, but I reckon that she might like meeee!

Ever the womanizer, huh? I guess you should thank me then. (Seen)

Oh wait, I know what you should do! Invite her to the party tonight! KimLip and I already booked the penthouse suite, so the more the merrier! (Seen)

(Seen) This is why I keep you around Yves. This is exactly why.

So you're telling me that you didn't fall for my unavoidable charms and radiant personality? ;) (Seen)

(Seen) Oh, wait, sorry I never noticed. :)

Now that's just cold. Ice Cold. (Seen)

 

Watching Hyunjin work her magic is amazing. I can see why they trusted her with this job at such a young age.  I will admit, she can get a bit weird. Before checking for an infection she barked at Haneul for a few seconds. Yes, she really does sound like a puppy, but what is the point of barking to Haneul? Interestingly enough, after a few of Hyunjin's barks Haneul listened to every command the doctor gave. I've known Haneul for years and sometimes he still growls at me when I wear a wig! How in the world did Hyunjin get him to cooperate so easily?!

 

Narrator POV

After regaining her focus, Hyunjin wrapped the bandage around Haneul's leg. All that was left to do was to fit the small cast onto his leg. Not wanting to cause Haneul any unnecessary pain, Hyunjin tenderly fit the cast on. One small whimper came from Haneul, but after that, everything was set. Turns out that one of the bones in Haneul's leg was partially fractured. Poor dog! 

With Haneul all patched up and well, it was time for Heejin and Hyunjin to part. Both of them hadn't said a word to each other ever since Heejin caught Hyunjin looking at her. Awkward silence floated between them as they walked down the corridor towards the waiting room. Finally, Heejin turned to face Haneul, scooped him up in her arms, then redirected her attention back to Hyunjin. 

 

"Say, Doctor Hyunjin, would you happen to have any time tonight?" said Heejin, giving Hyunjin a quick once over.

"Oh um, I might be busy tonight, but I'll consider it. You see, I actually have a blind-"

"Miss Jeon Heejin can I have your autograph because I think you are really cool and I saw your game last night and you fight really well and-"

 

Before Hyunjin could have the chance to finish her sentence, a group of little kids surrounded Heejin. A feeling of uneasiness came over Heejin. Moments later, the flash of a camera confirmed her suspicions. Paparazzi. At least the doors were locked so they couldn't come in. That would cause some issues for this clinic. Heejin was already feeling guilty.

Heejin didn't mind the young fans and found them cute. The paparazzi, however, had the potential to cause her problems. Usually, it was just a few reporters surrounding Heejin, but after a match as intense as yesterday's, she had garnered some attention. Her opponent had a considerable number of fans. After the loss, her fans started attacking Heejin online, spreading rumors of steroid use and bribery. None of it was true, of course, but now the press had something to feed off of.  Under these conditions, Heejin couldn't ask the cute vet to the party. She couldn't give the paparazzi any more fuel than necessary.

Right before her eyes, Hyunjin saw Heejin's persona change. Heejin's casual aura gave way to lazy charisma and playfulness. The smile Heejin gave the children was genuine. She posed with the kids for all the pictures they requested. Hell, she even posed with the receptionist! When a little girl told Heejin that she wanted to learn MMA and boxing, Heejin sat down to match the little girl's height then handed her a card with the address of the gym she coaches at scribbled on the back. 

 

"I'm glad that you want to try MMA and boxing! Ask your mommy if you can come by anytime during any of these hours. If I'm there, come by and say hello, ok? Just ask the uncle at the front desk for Miss Heejin, and show him this card I gave you. Remember the magic word! Stitch~!"

The little girl gave Heejin a peck on the cheek before running back to her parents, the card clutched tightly in her hand.

 

Only when Heejin turned to face the paparazzi did the authenticity falter. Described in 2 words, Heejin's smile was synthetic and tense. Soon, around 20 reporters with canon cameras gathered outside the door. With all of the commotion going on outside, Hyunjin's boss came outside of his office to see what was going on. He takes one look at Heejin, another at Hyunjin, and one final look at the people taking pictures and waiting outside. He quickly pulls Hyunjin aside, away from the cameras.

 

"Hyunjin, what is going on?"

"Um, well the young woman over there is a celebrity sir."

"Kpop celebrity? She certainly looks like she could be one."

"No, she's an MMA and boxer apparently."

"Oh, so that's why I don't know her. In that case, get her whatever she needs for her dog. Also, I don't like the idea of using anybody, but we could always benefit from more customers, especially if we want to expand this clinic to include that shelter that you wanted. So, feel free to pose with her, or ask her for a picture. We could place it on one of our walls for promotional purposes. Be professional and showcase your expertise."

"Right, professional. I'll do that sir."

 

And so, a completely professional Hyunjin walked into the storage room and collected the antibiotics that Haneul needed for his nose. The entire time, one thought overwhelmed her senses: did that angelic, hot boxer just ask me out to dinner?!

Back in the waiting room, Heejin was wondering where Hyunjin went off to. One moment Hyunjin was standing right beside her. The next, she was gone... Heejin wasn't going to give up so easily though. There was always a plan B somewhere.

If all else fails, at least Haneul looked happy. His little tail hasn't stopped wagging since he woke up. He'll need a little grooming soon. Instead of a dog, he's become a little cloud. Heejin lifted her head towards the doors and surely enough, the paparazzi were still there. There really wasn't much to capture though, unless you find pictures of a fighter sitting in a seat with her friend's dog riveting.

Rounding the corner, Hyunjin collected herself and prepared to face Heejin and the cameras. Her boss told her to be professional, and the only way to be professional in Hyunjin's book was to be clinical. So she faced Heejin once again, without hesitation or small talk. Sensing the difference in attitude, a small frown formed on Heejin's face. The cameras started flashing once again, trying to capture their every interaction and moment.

 

"Miss Jeon?"

"Heejin is fine. Is that the bag of medical creams for Haneul?"

"Yes it is. Here you go. I've already attached the directions for application onto the boxes of ointment themselves. Hopefully Haneul will feel better soon."

"Thank you. And, what about your answer to my question from before? About tonight?"

"Um, Miss Jeon, are you sure you want to talk about this in front of the cameras? What if they hear us or something?"

"Relax, they're outside and there's a commotion around us. So? Your answer?"

"I don't think I can, sorry. I'll likely be busy."

 

Just then, Hyunjin's boss walks into the waiting room, heading towards Heejin with a smile. Hyunjin turns to leave, but her boss stops her.

 

"Miss Jeon, if it's alright with you, may we take a picture together? We don't get high tier celebrity clients very often, and so far you have been the most amicable of them all."

"Oh sure. I certainly didn't know that I qualified for the high tier, but thank you for your kind words. I'll take the picture on one condition."

"On what condition?"

"I want Doctor Hyunjin to be in the picture beside me. She did some great work on Haneul today. I mean, look at the little cloud of a dog! He's practically an endless ball of energy now!"

"Oh, of course. Hyunjin, come over here and take a picture with us."

 

As Hyunjin turns around, her boss hands the camera to the receptionist, who promptly prepares to take the picture. Heejin, Haneul, Hyunjin, and her boss all huddle together for the picture. With one arm, Heejin supports a snuggly Haneul. With a bit of confidence for the cameras, she lazily wraps her other arm around Hyunjin's waist, earning a slight flinch and the slightest grin from Hyunjin. 

 

"Smile for the camera in 3...2...1! Cheese!"

 

With the click of a camera, it was finished. It was time for Heejin to go, but there was something that needed to be done first.

Heejin set Haneul down on the floor, and, making sure that her own back was facing the cameras, walked over to Hyunjin.

 

"Is there anyth- wait what are you doing?"

"Giving you a hug doc. Customary, and well earned, for someone who helped heal my friend's dog. You should probably hug me back so that the press doesn't have any questions."

"Oh...ahem...right"

Dropping her voice to a whisper, Heejin leaned closer to Hyunjin's ear, enjoying the panic and fast heartbeat she got in response. The floral scent of Heejin's perfume was all that Hyunjin could think about, until...

"Before I leave, if you change your mind about tonight, check your back pockets. I'm fun, I promise."

"C-check my...wait what?!"

 

A wink and smile later, Heejin was out the door and into the mass of reporters.