Chapter 15: Engagement Ceremony

Love, Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three and a half years ago, the day Chaewon knew about Si Hoo's marriage from a mutual friend, she went to her usual bookstore. She tried to busy herself looking for good books to read but it didn't took long for her tough mask to fell off, she couldn't help but start crying silently. She sat down with her back against a bookshelf, she hugged her knees and rested her head on it.

 

On the other hand Min Ho ran an errand for his friend, Yoon Hye (because he'll do anything for her-at that time). Yoon Hye was sick for days and was bored so she searched for a bookstore that have these rare old book she was interested in. It happened that it was the same bookstore Chae Won was frequent to.

 

The store owner was an elder man so Min Ho didn't bother to ask for his help aside from asking which shelf it was, said he'll look for it himself.

 

He was looking for the book when he heard a soft, almost inaudible cry. It came from behind the bookshelf from his back. It lasted for a couple of minutes, faintly fading.

 

He went over soon as the sobs faded. He was waiting for that person to stop crying before moving over, after failing to find the book he was looking for on the previous shelves. He thought it wouldn't be appropriate to barge in when a stranger is having a breakdown, so he waited.

 

He was pretending to be unaware of her crying and continued looking for the book when a slight movement from her bothered his focus. He let himself check on her direction and saw how her hands were slowly slipping from her own grip. She fell asleep. Her hands kept slipping and she kept hugging her knees back. She then gave in and let herself fall on her side slowly but before she hits the floor Min Ho caught her head and carefully lay it on the floor.

 

Chae Won was too emotionally drained to even feel herself falling.

 

He could see a book that fell on the ground from her lap. Her face was half covered with her medium length chestnut hair, with only her lips visible.

 

Then he received a message from Yoon Hye asking if he was able to get a copy of the book she asked him to get.

 

When the call ended he looked back to the woman on the ground. Quietly he squatted near her and attempted to take the book that fell from her lap. That was the book he was looking for. He reached for it but failed when the woman's hand fell on top of the book.

 

He scowled.

 

* * *

 

"Good afternoon Mr. Lee," Ji Soo greeted politely. She was on her way for lunch when they met on the building's hallway.

 

"Jisoo-ya," he pouted like a child. "I need a friend right now."

 

"Tss," she hissed. "Buy me lunch."

 

Jung Shin grinned, "Call!"

 

They went out for lunch and as always Ji Soo ordered a lot. A meal that could feed a group of four.

 

"Eat a lot."

 

In between their meal were small talks about how he became a part of the company she works at. He also apologized again for not mentioning his position in the company she works in.

 

"So why do you need a friend now?" She asked chewing her food.

 

He sighed softly, "I think I just fell in love."

 

Ji Soo felt her heart beat faster. Fell for whom? Could it possibly be me? She thought. She gulped down, "To whom?"

 

Instead of answering he asked a question instead. "When I saw her getting hurt because of someone else... I suddenly want to protect her."

 

"What is he saying? Nothing like that happened to us. She breathed out heavily, so it's not me", she thought to herself.

 

"And when she's looking at me I feel like the world slows down." He giggled, "And she makes me feel warm even when she's so cold to me."

 

Ji Soo put a hand in the air, telling him to stop. "I don't know much of love. I haven't been in a relationship." She strictly cut him off. "But I know this much." She paused for a moment, "You do like her."

 

"I know. I'm not new to this. I know. But why her?" He hissed recalling how they were like cat and dog since they were young.

 

"Because you don't choose who you'll like. It just happens."

 

"Wow, are you expert in love now?" He scoffed.

 

Ji Soo could just roll her eyes, "Yeah, I guess. Thanks to whom."

 

"Who is he?" He asked smiling curiously.

 

"A man I knew who doesn't have manners." She feed herself a spoonful of rice, "And thanks to him I'll be an expert at being heartbroken."

 

"What?" He asked unable to hear what she said clearly. "Heart? What? Heartbroken?" He dramatically slammed his chopsticks on the table. "Who's the guy? I'll beat him for you."

 

She hissed and continued to eat, ignoring him.

 

* * *

 

"Okay girls, I'll see you tomorrow." Ji Won dismissed her class early today. She was excited for her plans for the night.

 

She went home and changed into the best dress she could use for her first date in so long.

 

She's meeting Yoon Park.

 

The first time they met was when she had dinner with her friends the night after Ah In came back from the US. The second time they met was when Joo Won brought him when they had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter