Chapter 9: Engagement

Love, Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slowly chewing her food, waiting for Minho to come as he said he'll come to her first thing in the morning. It's eight in the morning and he still hasn't come nor sent her a message. "Is he still busy?" she heaved a deep sigh.

When she's done doing the dishes she thought of what better to do. It's a weekday and she's not in the mood to come to work, maybe later? She thought of Ji Won; that’s it, she could just visit her workplace.

Pressing basement on elevator buttons, she can't deny her mind is still somewhere else. "Eonni," Jisoo who's standing at her four extends an arm and wave a hand in front of her. She didn't even notice she's there.

"Oh! Hi Jisoo." She smiles.

"What are you thinking so deep about? You didn't even notice I'm here."

"It's nothing," Chaewon brushed her off and she didn't pry on her, it's early for that kind of conversation; she herself thinks it's not appropriate. Nodding, "You're off to work?" and asks.

"I'm meeting a friend now," Chaewon answers.

"It must be nice, meeting friends anytime," she sighed expressing envy.

Chaewon gave her a sweet smile, "You? It's almost nine but you're still here." Jisoo usually goes to work early so she asked.

"I had a project to finish by tomorrow and got permission to work at home," Chaewon gestures for her to go on. "I can concentrate more when I work alone and now I'm showing up at work with a finished project a day earlier," she giggles, feeling excited to present her work

 

* * *

 

Yoo Ri is ready to head out of the house, she stopped to tell the cleaning lady "Ahjumma, tell Minho if he wants his phone he can get it from me." The helping lady politely nods.

On the guest room, Minho is in deep sleep. He wasn't able to escape last night when he only intended to send Yoo Ri home then left. Yoo Ri must've planned this, she knows Minho won't be able to escape her grandfather.

Last night when Minho sent her home she insisted to for him to meet her grandparents before he'll leave. It was the first time Minho gets to meet her grandparents and didn't know it will end up this way.

Yoo Ri's grandparents warmly welcomed Minho. Maybe because they started to live a normal and stress free life that they are this warm to people, compared to some higher ranking ones. They invited him for dinner and it is rude to say no to the elder’s invitation. After dinner, Minho thought he'd be able to go home already but Yoo Ri's grandfather politely asked him to stay for a while, so he did. Little did he know he'll be stuck in a Go game with him and not just that, you have to drink a glass of alcohol if you’ll lose?

It wouldn't be a problem if he just wins the games, but the elder is too good at it. "I've played this all my life, no one has beaten me with it," the elder proudly says. He sure is a master of this game, admits Minho.

Minho has a low tolerance of alcohol and was knocked out after couple of rounds. He ended up spending the night over because he was unconscious.

An hour later Minho woke up with a headache; slowly he sits down from lying. And few minutes till he finally realizes what happened, he's at Yoo Ri's. He went downstairs carefully not to trigger his headache.

When he's downstairs, "You're awake? There's a hangover soup in the kitchen, I'll reheat it for you, come." The elder women ushered him to the kitchen which he respectfully complies.

"Thank you."

After easing the headache with the soup Yoo Ri's grandmother made for him. He said his goodbye to the two elders who's in the house. On his way out he realized his phone is missing when he tried to take it out from his pocket to inform Chaewon his on his way. A helper approached him and before he could ask she already told him his phone is with Yoo Ri.

Without wasting time he heads off to Chaewon's hoping she's still at home waiting. Unfortunately, when he arrived at her place Chaewon has already left.

 

* * *

 

Jiwon was on her break when Chaewon suddenly popped up from her studio's door, "Eonni." Chaewon smiled and waited for her friend to tell her to come in, as she might be busy giving a lesson to her students.

Jiwon asked her to come in and head to her office directly. She then stood up from the bench and told her students to practice within themselves for a while and then she followed Chaewon to her office.  The door to her office is just located at the back of the studio.

"Why the sudden visit?" she asks.

"Do you hate it?" Chaewon asks in return, acting like she's sulking over it.

"Of course not." She stuffed with the carrot cake Chaewon brought and placed in the table between them.

"Eat a lot!" Chaewon says seeing her friend digs in the food she brought soon as she took it out of the bag and placed on the table.

Jiwon munches and swallows, "But what is it? What's the reason?"

Chaewon sighed and told her everything that's bothering her. From Minho's parents possibly not knowing he is dating her to his parents being against her; to Minho who seems to not be interested in marrying her; to him cancelling their meeting and not coming to see her earlier this morning when he said he will and not even a message from him.

"Are you on your period? You're strangely a lot more sensitive now."

"I know right?" she frowns.

Jiwon placed down the fork on the table and starts to get more serious. "You're not thinking it's a woman's instinct right?"

Chaewon didn't say anything which confirms it. "You are," Jiwon concludes.

 

* * *

 

Minho arrived at his office an hour later. Soon as he spotted his secretary, "Secretary Nam, send a message Moon Chae Won, tell her we'll be meeting for dinner."

Secretary Nam stood up and bowed at him in an instant. "Yes sir, but sir you have a schedule this evening," she nervously informed her boss.

Minho stopped on his track just few steps to opening the door to his office. "Then make it free. Make my previous schedule an hour earlier; it's a meeting with Mr. Park so it won't be hard."

"Yes sir." She lets herself fall in her seat soon as he went inside his office; just thinking about negotiating with Mr. Park is already driving her crazy. She could already hear his tiny and sharp voice complain over and over again, it's annoying. She produced a silent scream, "Why does it have to be Mr. Park's!"

Secretary Nam frustratingly took her phone and started composing a message for Moon Chae Won, saying every word she types in a very low yet annoyed voice. She knows his relationship with Moon Chae Won and she's supportive of it. She's not annoyed with Chaewon but at the timing.

"Secretary Nam?" she almost jumped off from her seat if only she's not trained to keep her composure and been doing this for years. Like it's programmed in her body, she stood up and bowed to the man in front of her. "Good morning Mr. Jung. How can I help you?"

Il Woo flashed a smile, "Is your boss stressing you out?"

"No sir."

"Well, I'm here as a friend to Minho so I'll excuse myself." Il Woo would usually barge in whenever he's here for his friend Minho and not for the future CEO Minho. Secretary Nam just lets him do that; Minho gave that permission since day one.

Inside the office, Il Woo greeted his friend with a warm embrace which Minho willingly took. They sat at the couches in front of his desk. "How's my friend? Been busy with dating, work or marriage preparation?"

"Is the last one even an option?" he laughs.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter