Chapter 2

STRANGER LOVE

“Finally!! No more classes! No more exams!!” Yein shouted while running around. “Why am I friends with her again? Haha” The final paper of our last semester was finally over. As I looked around, I saw most of my classmates with bright smiles painted on their faces. Some might have regretted not studying properly, some probably wished they could have done better, but the past is the past now... we need to enjoy this moment!

 

“Ahjumma!! One more super hot spicy chicken set.. we need to eat a lot so we have the energy to celebrate later” Looking at my friends, I am thankful to have had them since the first semester. Super hyper girl Kim YeIn, Choi JinYoung, Lee NaYoung and the only gentlemen Song MinKi. “Wait.. celebrate later??” Checking the time on my phone, I see it’s already 6 PM. “What do you mean by ‘‘celebrate later’’? Are we not already celebrating right now?” I start thinking about my husband...I’ve never come back late before... what about dinner? “Oh please, don’t cut our fun short...what are you worried about?! There aren’t any parents here to worry about and it’s not like you’ve got a husband either!” What Nayoung said cuts deep into my heart. It’s not like I don’t want to tell them that I’m married but... even I, myself, doubt that I am married sometimes.

 

Sitting in a small, dark room with a loud beat blasting from the speakers didn’t help but make me feel more anxious. “Yah! I’m confiscating this phone. It’s only been 20 minute since we’ve started singing but you’ve already looked at your phone more than 30 times! Here- take the mic and singgg~!!” Not wanting to ruin the mood and disappoint my friends, I stand up and sing along to the song that’s playing, forgetting everything else. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so free... so happy. When last did I smile so brightly?

 

“Come...help me with these 3 monkeys. I will drop them off first and then I’ll drop you home” Minki said while looking at our 3 wasted friends. “It’s okay, you don’t need to... just drop them home and I will go back alone” I said with a thankful smile but Minki’s face showed just how much he disapproved. “You do know that it’s already 2 in the morning, right? There’s no public transport anymore... I will drop you home. End of discussion.” In that moment I felt like someone just poured a bucket of cold water on me. “My phone! Where’s my phone! Oh nooo” After searching the entire room, I was still unable to find it. What is this that I’m feeling? Fear? Anxiety? Sadness? I feel like crying! 

 

“What happened?? What’s wrong? What are you trying to find?” Minki, too, is starting to panic as he sees my drastic change. “My phone! Where’s my phone?!” As Minki tries calling my phone, we end up hearing it and finding it inside of Nayong’s bag. I breathe out in relief. I totally forgot she took my phone from me. I unlock my phone with an anxious heart, only to see 0 missed calls and 0 messages.  How many times can a human heart break before it’s permanent?