Chapter 9

STRANGER LOVE

Like a silent bell exactly 5:30 everyone dashing to the door. “Panda! What are you waiting for? Faster! Later the lift will be full and we don’t want to take the same lift with marketing people you know '' Grab my half empty box I walk faster to the lift. “Are they calling me panda?” Jun the leader grabs the box on my hand and press the G to the lobby. “How will you go back? Car? Public transport?” I try to turn around to see who's talking but with the pack lift I cannot move “Just answer him, stop moving. You already take so much space” Puff my cheek I answer with slow public transport. “With that puff cheek you look more like a panda with a round face plus soon with loaded task for sure your eyes will change. Our new QC Team mascot Panda” I heard behind voice talking make me pat-pat my check. “Don’t worry, you are not chubby you just too cute” Listen to Jun whisper to me and follow with fake cough from the others make me giggle.

 

Ding! The lift reaches the ground floor. Jun passed the box to Taeyong because only me and Taeyong come out from the lift while the others will go to the underground level since they are driving their own car. “Move faster panda, let's walk to the bus stop” Since I’m the only intern in the team the others consider older and senior in this industry than me. “Who said I will take the bus?” mumbling I walk to the main door. Feeling him didn’t follow me I turn back and see he still roots in the same place. “Said the one who told me to be faster but still root at the same place” Taeyong start moving and pass by me with scoff. Reading the info at the bus stop board I try to target what time I must leave the house and how long the journey takes. So I won't be late and rushing again tomorrow. “Hmm.. can you take this picture and send it to me?” Taeyong comes closer to see what I talk about. “You don’t have a phone?” Showing him my teeth I said I forgot. He took the picture and I gave him my number so he can add me in KakaoTalk and send the picture. “You are not doing this to get my number, are you?” Wave both my hand with panic no no no, I don’t want him to misunderstand.

 

I’m glad that we will take different buses because our house is in a different part of the seoul. I enjoy being alone on the bus or train. It's fun to observe how people live their lives. Hold the box tightly and press my card on the machine I walk deep into the backseat of the bus. Luckily I always bring my old mp4 player on my bag .Plug both earphones scroll to the song list and play Eddy Kim - When Night Falls. Set as repeat I keep listen to the same song the main part I need your love stuck on my head. The bus stop to the house building is not that far, about 5 minutes walking and the journey just now about 20 minute. Walking into the house building. “Miss, are you perhaps a tenant on B-08-01” The house guard never talked to me before make me take off my earphones. “Yes, I am” mumbling wait he walks behind the lobby and brings out a big box. “I will help bring it to your house. Come it's heavy for a lady” Offer him a drink as thank you he reject with he still needs to go down for work.

 

Set the box on the table with a plan to take shower and prepare ingredients for dinner so later when he comes home I can just start cooking. While blowing my hair I puff my check. “My round face really assembles panda” Chuckle to myself. I turned the phone on there about 500 notifications from our group chat and 5 chat from jinyoung plus one friend request. Accept Taeyoung request I sent him a hello and ask for the photo just now so I can manage tomorrow morning. Open Jinyoung chat I can read she asks where am I and after an hour she sent the message don’t tell me you forgot your phone too. Laughing to myself I love how she knows me so well. Reply with confidence of course I left my phone to Jinyoung make her read but didn’t bother to reply. Open the group chat I can read how others share about their first day make me smile why reading. I'm glad everyone is doing fine and happy. 

 

walking to the kitchen and thinking about cooking dinner. “I need to go buy groceries tomorrow. What to cook just leftover vegetables. Hmm.. wait leftover means bokkeumbap!” Bring out 2 bowls of cooked rice from yesterday. Which lucky I got heated and still can be used. I took out 2 garlic cloves and minced, chopped onion and cut the leftover beef yesterday into small pieces and of course everyone's favorite kimchi. Bring out all the leftover vegetables I cut into small pieces: carrots, zucchini, red bell peppers, yellow bell pepper and white mushrooms. Chop 2 green chilli pepper and 2 green onions. Take out 2 eggs to cook sunny side up. Prepare all the ingredients in different containers. I close it and wash my hands. “Now just wait for him”

 

Water the mint and rosemary near the sink. “Sorry you must be really thirsty I so rushing this morning until I forgot about you” The mint and rosemary bow down look so sad make me feel bad. Bring some water to the balcony. I water perilla leaves. “Don’t be lonely I will plant more to be your friends” Tear open the package I am so excited to see the one I buy last time. 3 big round pot, 2 long pot and 4 seeds which is tomato, chili, salad and spring onions. “aish idiot, how to plant if I didn’t buy the soil.” Arrange all the pots on the balcony I can already imagine how it will look with the plant. Turning on the laptop I decided to shop online for soil and fertilizer. Search the same seller I drop the nice satisfied feedback and shop more. Look at the time 8:25. “He will be here soon right? I’m hungry already” Right on cue the password key in can be heard.

 

Follow behind him like a lost puppy “How come he still smells so nice after the whole day working” He stop abruptly. “Hmm.. d..do you want to eat dinner together?” He responded with a tired nod and I replied with a small okay and walked to the kitchen. Open all the containers I prepare to cook. “Ready.. set .. go!” Heat a frying pan over high heat. I add vegetable oil, garlic, and onions. Stir-fry them for about a minute until light brown. Add the beef and stir-fry again until the beef is no longer red. Add everyone's favorite Kimchi and stir-fry again. After 2 minutes I add my colorful leftover vegetables and stir-fry again before adding the rice and keep stirring and mixing for about 5 minutes. Add oyster sauce stir again mix again. Finally remove the frying pan from the heat. I Add the sesame oil, ground black pepper, and chopped green onion mix again. Transfer it to a 2 serving plate. Find another small frying pan. I cook 2 sunny side up eggs and place it on top of fried rice. “Tadaaa..!” 

 

I focused too much on cooking the egg so the yellow wont broke. I didn’t notice he already helped me set the table with cutlery and pour the water for both of us. Set the plate in front of him I notice instead of the usual facing each other he set us beside each other make me confused and somewhat awkward. “Tomorrow..” After a few minutes of eating his voice broke the silence. Before he even finished the sentences I beat him to it. “Tomorrow I will take the bus, thank you for this morning” the short oh left his mouth. I don’t want to burden him plus I enjoy taking public transport. “How was your first day?” Stare to his side makes me doubt my ear is it he just starting to talk to me? “aihh.. even his side looks so handsome” He turned to my side and made my eyes bulge. “H..Huh.. good.. nice.. huh I mean the team really nice to me all of them are good people and make me comfortable” Instead of looking back to the food or in front he keeps looking at me. “Then.. do I make you uncomfortable?” I don’t know if my eyes can be wider than they already are. See I am having trouble answering him, he facing in front and continues eating. “How is your work?” I’m somehow disappointed when he changes the question. “Today I just read about the system, I will start working with the real system tomorrow” With a nod he finished the last bite and brought his plate to wash. “the fried rice tasted bad suddenly.. I can't finish it”