Chapter 5

STRANGER LOVE

My calendar shows that I still have 2 more weeks to find a company for my internship. I’ve been sending emails to a variety of companies for the past 3 weeks yet not one company has contacted me back. Am I not qualified enough for a big company? “This week I need to focus on a small company. Maybe only then will I have a chance” My dream is to work with Soft Blue Company, one of the top IT companies in Korea. They have flexible working times, free food for their staff and most importantly, they have the top games developers. I can learn to design characters or maybe even create new games. My very own game. A sigh leaves my mouth. Right now I would be grateful if any company calls me for an interview.

 

My phone lights up with a notification from the group chat. Jinyoung is the first one to be accepted for an internship with a big company- K Star- a marketing company. That company is considered a young monster because it only started operating 7 years ago but it can now stand amongst the top companies. Nayoung, Yein and I prefer a more fun work experience...not doing working on boring systems, so we didn’t apply for K Star. “Minkiiiiii , why not ask your dad if the 3 of us can intern at his company with you? Please, please!” Seem like Yein and Nayoung already gave up on finding an internship. “I will ask him if you guys are interested.”

 

Working with them would be fun, but I don’t want to burden Minki. I’m scared that he’ll think we’re only friends with him to use and take advantage of him “I will pass.. I’m thinking of applying to the same company as Jinyoung” I press sent. I need to try others way first, I cannot be dependent on others. “But whyyyy?? you hate that type of boring and simple company” Reading Yein’s message makes me think twice but I’ve already made my decision. I keep searching for IT companies and sending emails, and now I’ve got another company to add to the list- K Star. After a few hours of being on my laptop, I feel so tired and decide to stop for the day. 

 

My eyes open wide as I see the small clock on the table displaying 7 AM. Seems like my body is used to waking up at this time for class. The sound of the water coming  from the bathroom lets me know that he’s already woken up. “Maybe I should prepare breakfast and go for a morning walk...”  The bathroom door suddenly opens and like an alarm makes me stand up and walk to the kitchen.

 

Setting a plate with 2 toast, egg and bacon, I place some strawberry jam near the plate and pour a hot cup of coffee. “Morning..” Like an automated machine, I smile. “Good morning” I didn’t expect him to keep staring at me, making me stare right back at him. “really.. handsome”

 

“Your breakfast?” His question makes me come back to life. “Oh.. no, later. Right now it’s still too early for me.. umm.. enjoy.. I- I will go take a shower first” With a smile still on my face, I walk to the bedroom, choose a new set of clothes and put them on the bed. The light on my phone steals my attention so I take the phone and unlock it. 2 emails. Reading the first email, I see that it’s from K Star inviting me for an interview tomorrow. I was confident that K Star would contact me so I reply to them with an okay and confirm the time.”Finally one company has contacted me..”

 

Opening the next email makes me shocked. It’s Soft Blue- my dream company! I excitedly read the interview details more than once, as I sent the email to them more than a month ago and didn’t expect they would reply. Without sending a reply to them,  I run around, jump and laugh out loud, gaining his attention. The moment he opens the door, I launch myself at him and jump on him without thinking twice. “Soft blue finally replied to my email… they asked for an interview today.. I’m so excited!” Hugging me back I can smell how nice his perfume is.”When is it?” Still hugging me. “Today! Oh, I need to reply to them and shower... I need to get ready!” Breaking the hug, I reply to the email and run to the bathroom.

 

I’m too excited to think of other things. While getting dressed, the company calls to confirm if I am coming in today as well as to share the location of their company. Looking around the bedroom, I double- check to see if I’ve left anything behind “bag, phone, resume.. done” I can’t stop giggling while walking to the main door but the shadow of a man  stops my laugh. “Y- you’re not working today?”When I left the bedroom it was already 10 something....he should have already left for work.  “Let’s go.. I will drop you”

 

A small “oh” left my mouth “Aish, I would have dressed up faster if I knew he was waiting.. huhu” He suddenly turns around as we’re walking, making me bump into him. “Which one do you prefer-  McDonalds Drive Through or take away from any shop?” His question reminds me that I haven’t eaten breakfast. “McDonalds sounds nice”

 

As he opens the door of his black Maserati, I am left breathless. I am so used to taking Minki’s car that I forgot how majestic it was. After getting my breakfast at McDonalds, I quickly try to scarf down my breakfast but my nervousness kicks in and my stomach feels queasy. What if I make a mistake or I can’t answer their questions? I was so into my thoughts that I didn’t notice that we’d already reached our destination until he spoke. “Good luck.. you will be okay?” I shyly nod my head and reply with soft thank you before dragging my body into the big building. “I can do this! Fighting!”

 

The interview ends with ‘we will let you know in three days if you’ve successfully got the internship or not.’ “I have no regrets... at least I’ve tried” Only then am I reminded of how I got to the building. “Maybe he’s still waiting for me?” With a light step, I walk towards the lobby, only to see it’s empty. “Of course he wouldn’t wait...”  I make my way outside and wait for the bus that’ll take me back home. Walking to a single seat on the bus, I stare out of the window thinking about what I should cook for dinner.  Suddenly like a flash, the memories of me jumping on him and hugging him tightly play in head “O.M.G.. did that really happen?” I blush, reddening like a tomato, thinking of how he had actually hugged me back. Eeeeee~