Chapter 6

STRANGER LOVE

“4..3..2..1..” I impatiently counted down with the traffic light. I don’t know how long I’ve been staring at this light and tapping my foot waiting for this light to turn green and the white symbol of a human to finally pop up. The symbol reminds me of the show Running Man and it makes me feel like I should run soon.

 

 

I was standing at the crosswalk, eagerly waiting to cross the horizontal white lines as fast as I can and reach my destination on time. These three hours from when I left the house have been so painful with most of the time being wasted crossing roads, running and waiting. It’s not like the company’s far, but because I’ve never been there before, I was confused navigating back home. To add my misery, I was wearing killer heels, which I seldom wear, and ended up taking the wrong bus! “Is this a sign from God that this company is no good? huhu”

 

 

Once the symbol of the person appeared, my legs and feet moved on their own, my strides long and fast. Today is the day I have an interview with K Star. I don’t have much time until the deadline and so far only two companies have contacted me. I’m not confident that I will pass the interview with Soft Blue so I have no choice...I need to target this company and try to get an internship with them.

 

 

Passing street after street, I finally stop and freeze in front of a wide, glass door. Breathless and high strung, I run my sight up and down the elegant building before me. From the view alone, I can see how it exudes class and sophistication. This makes me wonder if I’m the right fit for this environment. 

 

 

Taking a deep breath, I stand up straight and clutch my bag as nervousness take over and my heartbeat increases. “Fighting! I can do this.” Pushing the door open, I step into a world I never would have imagined I could be part of.

 

 

The endless clacking of my heels bounce off the walls and echoes as I continue walking. My cheeks are painting with a deep shade of red as I embarrassment kicks in from the loudness. “Why are these heels making so much noise.. or is this place just too quiet?” Much to my surprise, I was greeted by an empty and extravagant hallway that sent goosebumps pebbling onto my skin.I tried to keep a stoic and professional face, but I doubt it hid my anxiousness. 

 

 

Stepping inside, one would have thought it was a 5 star hotel. “Miss Kim?” My head immediately snapped to where the voice resonated and there I saw a dashing man in a suit that appeared to have been waiting for me to arrive. “Yes?”

 

 

“I’m Kim Jongdae, the one sent you an email about the interview. It’s good to see you” He said warmly, walking towards me before reaching out his hand. “Likewise, Mr. Kim” I greet back with a smile, receiving his hand and shaking it. “You can call me Chen as we might be working together soon” He winked at me, making me think about his emphasis on the word ‘might’.

 

 

“Mr. Byun has been waiting for you in his office. Please follow me.” The walk was not that long, especially with his office only being at the end of the building. Observing everything around me makes me confused and question what’s going on. There was no one else around waiting for interview, only silence. “Am I the only one they called to interview for today.. why was there no one else here for interviews.. or did I come to the wrong place... no that can’t be Chen was there to greet me.” Once we got to a large brown door, Chen knocked twice before opening it and shooting me a smile. “You can proceed now, Miss Kim.”

 

 

“Thank you.” Nodding my head, I give him one last curt smile before walking in. My breath got stuck in my throat as my eyes glanced around the room. Did I say the hallway looked exquisite and fancy? I take that back because this room was the ultimate definition of those words “I thought HR staff would be the ones interviewing me.. I don’t think this person could possibly be HR staff”

 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Kim. I’m glad you considered coming. Have a seat. I’m Byun Baekhyun.” Blinking my eyes a few times, my eyes are still blurred at what this pretty yet masculine man said to me. I swallow hard when he greets me again. I wanted to smack myself for being in such a daze.

 

 

“It’s a pleasure meeting you as well, sir.” I answer while sitting down on the chair opposite him, placing my hands on my lap. After glancing over my resume a few times and more than 20 questions later, the interview was finally over. The way Mr. Byun talk to me make me think that all the bosses and staff here must not only be really friendly but also really good looking. From Mr. Kim’s looks just now to Mr Byun...

 

 

“I really like your passion and your grades prove that you’re an excellent student so you have been accepted for an internship. Congratulations!” I was caught off guard, not expecting that they would give me the results of my interview so quickly. “Huh? Come again Mr. Byun.” Instead of answering me, he makes a call... perhaps to his secretary’s to bring in the contract? After few moments we hear a soft knock and Mr Byun replies with short “come in”.

 

 

“Read the contract and let me know if you have any questions or anything you would like to add or remove” Still in a daze, I don’t reply “What’s wrong? Do you not want to work with us?” That question makes me quickly reach my hand out and take the contract from him to read. I hear the man opposite of me chuckling as I begin to read it. 

 

 

I need more time to think; Soft Blue will let me know in 2 days but I’m not confident they will accept me and I don’t have much time left So far I haven’t received any responses from other companies. I’m only left with K Star. “It won’t be too bad.. I can gain many new experiences during this internship.”

 

 

Still with unsure feelings, I hesitantly say okay, making Mr Byun beam with a wide boxy smile. “Good good, we can proceed with signing the contract”

 

 

After the long commute home, I drop my body onto the sofa at home, questioning if  I made the right decision or not. I try listing the pros and cons of working there. My body finally feel relaxed and my eyelids start to droop, feeling heavy. It didn’t take long for me to drift off into dreamland.