Chapter 1

STRANGER LOVE

Looking up to the sky, I see white, fluffy clouds slowly being pushed by the wind to reveal a clear, blue field. I take a deep breath and smile as it warms my heart. I take my phone out from my bag to see that I have no missed calls or messages. It makes me chuckle  “who would call or message me?” Seeing that the time is 3:14 pm, I realize it’s been forever since I’ve eaten and right on cue, I hear my stomach grumble. It’s the last semester before internships begin and graduation. Everyone is starting to struggle, desperately searching for a company to accept them. Looking around, I see students talking while walking. Some are walking around with so many books that I have no doubt that they will fall from their hands soon. Looking down at my own lap, I see my two thick and heavy books- Programming for Dummies and Computer Programming. Sighs can be heard around me...it seems like today’s bus will be later than usual.  

 

Holding onto the doorknob, I take a deep breath with the hope that he has come home. As I open the door, cold air instantly brushes my body, reminding me of how alone I feel. “Of course he’s not home... It's still early. Wait...what’s the difference between him being home or being out…”  There’s no difference. “But… at least the air might not be as cold if he’s home...maybe...”  Turning on the TV and increasing the volume, I start to walk around with a list of things to do on my mind. “wash clothes... cook lunch... eat lunch...hang the clothes to dry... and do some research for my assignment”

 

After a few hours, the only sounds that can be heard are the typing of a keyboard and the clicking of my mouse. I decided to turn the TV off quite a while ago as it ended up becoming a huge distraction while I was researching. Looking up to the round clock, I see its hands pointing at the 9 and 4...9:20...it’s already past dinner time. “He still hasn’t come home...”  Closing my laptop, I decide it’s time to cook dinner. As I’m halfway through cooking dinner, the sound of our door’s keypad can be heard as the password is punched in. “Oh... he’s back!”  Knowing that he’s here is enough to make my heart beat fast and my cheeks warm. But those warm cheeks soon turn cold as he walks straight into the bedroom. 

 

So many things are on my mind as I continue cooking “Should I go ask him if he would like dinner? No? Yes? Hmm...” Deciding to be brave, I walk to the bedroom. Knocking and opening the door, I see that he’s on the phone. It’s already so late but he’s still busy...sigh. I must have been distracted by the many things on my mind because I didn’t even realize that I was staring at him until he appeared close to me. “Umm...I- I cooked dinner...no... supper.. uh dinner... y- you want t- to join me?” He nodded just enough to make me feel like there is hope.

 

Sadly, however, only the sounds of the cutlery and our chewing could be heard.