Chapter 3

STRANGER LOVE

Waking up with a headache and nausea is really not a good way to start the day. Remembering that I no longer have classes to attend, I decide to sleep some more. Maybe sleep will cure this sickness... and perhaps my heart too...

 

After who-knows-how-many hours of sleep, I have no choice but to wake up and start my day...my stomach just won’t stop grumbling and asking for food. Without thinking much, I walk straight to the kitchen with my messy hair to get a glass of warm water. Taking a few gulps, I feel a bit better as I feel  the warm water flow into my stomach. All of a sudden, I hear footsteps and the sound of plastic moving... I feel like my body’s frozen. “What time is it right now? He shouldn’t be home yet... who is it? Oh God” I stop breathing. I feel like any noise I make, even breathing will alert the intruder and they’ll find me. But my stomach seems to not be on the same page as it continues to growl for food.

 

“I bought lunch. Go eat.” I didn’t know that humans could move so fast when they’re shocked. The moment I heard his voice, I completely fell down onto my knees and held my chest. It took a few minutes for me to calm down but when I finally looked up, he was no longer there. “Am I starting to hallucinate?” My stomach’s grumbles bring me back to reality. “Oh yeah... food...food...”

 

Standing up, I can see from the kitchen that the dining table’s already set with the food still hot and smelling so delicious that it’s making me drool. But there’s only one set... without thinking twice, I devour all of it. Maybe what people said is true- nice food is not only good for the stomach but also good for the heart.. I feel like my heart is really warm. Even though I’m eating alone, I don’t feel as lonely.

 

After cleaning the table, I walk around “Is he still here?”  The empty slots of the shoe rack confirm that he’s no longer home. But instead of feeling sad, I feel more calm and happy. I can't stop smiling like an idiot. “He came back home just to bring me lunch...just for me? Omgggg” I jump around and giggle. Just this one act is enough to send me to the moon.

 

Hearing my ringtone, I quickly ran to my bedroom and grabbed my phone. Not looking at who’s calling, I press answer “Hey, how did you reach home yesterday? Wait, how did I reach home yesterday?” Laughing at Yein’s question,  I explain everything that happened after the 3 of them passed out “I hope it's him.. but it's okay... one step at a time” I suddenly feel so much more motivated. I take note of what house chores I need to do and what to cook for dinner. Humming to the song One Step at a Time by Jordin Sparks, I walk to my vanity to tie my hair up. While tying my hair, I look up at the mirror to a shocking face “Omg...Did he see me like this?? Nooo” Banging my head on the table, this one silly act was enough to send me crawling into a hole to hide.