Personal Histories

Sentai AU - The Bonds of Time

Eunji and Chorong sneak their way back to the apartment. Chorong scrambles to the office where she promptly opens up one of the laptops that they salvaged from the first night. Eunji, on the other hand, promptly plops herself on the couch in the office, taking a deep sigh.

"I wish I could help you, unnie."

"Don't worry about it too much, Eunji. Just have to search through what I have and make some sense on it. When I need you, I'll let you know."

"Alright."

Chorong taps away the keyboard, writing down some key observations on some paper. Eunji, knowing she could learn something, decides to grab a chair and read what Chorong was writing.

"You seem eager to help."

"I just want to feel like I'm doing my share."

Chorong sighs. Eunji reminds her of her late fiancé. A true spitting image. "Tell you what. I owe you something later, alright?"

"Owe me what?"

"I'll let you know."

-

"Lieutenant Son! We've encountered a problem. What appears to be a forcefield has been placed around the Convention Center. Perhaps CEO Jung and his team can take a look."

Naeun lets out a loud sigh through her nose. "CEO Jung, your team may want to figure out how to break through this. We don't know what Khan is up to, and whether or not that hostage call was a fake."

-

On the other side of the building, Eunji and Chorong return with the laptop in hand. Chorong returns to clicking away at the keyboard as Eunji notices some static across the ground. "Hey, did you see that?"

"I heard it. Khan must have placed a forcefield. They want to protect that main device."

"So how did we not get caught in it while escaping?"

"They must have strengthened it. They might be aware we escaped."

"Do you think that they'll try to hammer down the rest of them?"

"If they're aware, they absolutely would, but then again, I don't know for sure."

Eunji lets out a loud sigh. "This is bad..."

"Don't worry, Eunji. We've got this."

"How can you be so confident?"

"To be honest, I'm not. But I have to. It's my childhood friends who need our help."

"You know, I'm honestly surprised by how much you can do, unnie."

Chorong sighs. "You know, sometimes even I wonder about that too. Hayoung is smarter, Bomi is stronger, and Namjoo is more witty. Yet they all look to me."

"And now, I have to look to you too."

Chorong stops typing on the keyboard, looking up at Eunji. "I think it's time I explain a little more about me."

"Is this what you wanted to owe me?"

"Yes." Chorong looks back down at her ring, fondling it a little. "You see, Eunji... Khan and I have personal history." Chorong lets out a long sigh. "My father was a decorated veteran of the force from our time. He took down a lot of Khan's older members. In fact, he practically took down an entire generation of leaders one by one. But then, one fateful night, Kwon Jiyong, the don whom we keep encountering, led him to a trap. Before you knew it, I was the only one left in my family."

"Oh my goodness... I'm so sorry..."

"You see, Khan has its sneaky ways of playing with their victims' minds. I was away at the academy when I heard the news. In one night, I suddenly was alone. Not even Bomi, Namjoo, and Hayoung could comfort me. I was near inconsolable. I pushed everyone away and hid in my room all day. No classes. No friends. To be honest, I really just wanted to quit and join my family... until she showed up."

"Are you speaking of... 'her'?"

Chorong can only nod her head and pauses for a long time, taking a deep breath. "Her name was Hyerim. She was an aspiring detective. It was almost like fate how we met. It was the first time I mustered courage to even leave my dorm, and then I bumped into her by accident. She could tell I wasn't right. I emptied my heart out and she patiently listened to everything I had to say. Then, she urged for me to not give in. She knew I was holding in so much."

"I can only imagine..."

"You see, she urged me to find people to talk to, and that she was always ready to lend an ear, even if she didn't know who I was. She was just so impulsive to help everyone... and it wound up keeping me around. Enough to graduate with high honors and become a member of the force. And not long after, we started dating."

"She must have meant a lot to you."

"She still does. When she heard my story, she made it her mission to stop Khan. I was beyond flattered. And it meant the world to me when she caught Kwon Jiyong the first time. The day after, she proposed to me. Spending the rest of my life with her was like a dream come true. A life without any more trouble and a turn of the page. Then, it came crashing down the following day. Kwon Jiyong escaped, and in her pursuit, she fell by Lee Seunghyun's hand."

"Wow..."

"You see, Eunji, catching Khan isn't just to save your reality. It's so that I can continue her mission, which is now mine. And by completing it, I can finally put my past behind me."

Eunji slowly approaches Chorong, scrunches down, and looks into her eyes. All she sees is a burning fire. "And I can help you do that," she says as she places her arm on Chorong's shoulder.

Then, a beep goes off on the laptop. "Oh! Looks like it's found the source." Chorong carefully examines the screen. "Looks like one of us has to go back in and destroy the source's counterpart. We also have to shoot it at the same time. Our suits have a timer function, so we should be able to synchronize a shot."

"How do we get back in?"

"Well, we can cut through the forcefield with our swords, but it will restore itself."

"Not like it matters, though. Anyway, go on."

"Well, once we get in, the source should have a function to warp someone to the other dimension."

"Alright, unnie. Sounds like a plan. We got this."

Chorong nods her head.

"CHRONO CHANGER!"

Eunji and Chorong summon their swords and hack an opening in the forcefield, allowing them to cross through. Then, they head off to the location of the source, in hopes of saving their friends...

-

"Wait... what's with the static?!"

"Everyone clear!"

The science team backs off from the area. Skeptical that it was a coincidence, Naeun motions for everyone halt.

"I have a bad feeling about this... something's definitely going on inside."

-

Will Eunji and Chorong succeed? How will Khan retaliate? Are the police close to learning of the Rangers' existence? Find out next chapter!

-

A/N: So a bit of a shorter chapter but I felt it was time for Chorong's own backstory. Hope y'all find the take interesting! Also, I hope that my fellow Naeun-stans don't kill me. :P