Lies

Sentai AU - The Bonds of Time

The rangers continue to hole up in Eunji's apartment with Bada's help. Khan has made no attacks on the city, leaving Chorong stumped as to why they would choose their location to time travel. With no leads, the team is left to only speculate.

As the days pass, Chorong continues to read in Eunji's office. As soon as Hayoung saw Chorong read, she began to tack on the habit as well for a day or two before learning of the gaming sphere of the 21st century, prompting her to take that up on Eunji's office computer. Bomi, on the other hand, watches dramas voraciously on the television, hoarding boxes of tissues due to her constant crying. Namjoo reads fashion magazines that Eunji would bring home, as well as examining the catalogue for the store that Eunji works for. In the meantime, Eunji continues to go to work and funnels clothes for everyone to change into, although the group had gotten quite comfortable with the ones they chose on the first day.

Then, one day, they all decide to go out again, albeit only for dinner, choosing the restaurant from the first night. Bomi, Namjoo, and Hayoung giggle at the thought of Chorong getting her favorite food, only to be met by a bop from Eunji.

"Are you three serious?"

"What?!"

"Whatever," Eunji sighs, rolling her eyes. As the three's faces begin to droop, Chorong secretly gets behind everyone, her hand to her face trying to hold it all in.

-

"I seriously can't believe I got did in again... I thought my 30th century appetite was enough..." Namjoo groans.

"You're telling me..." Bomi groans.

"Well you two unnies stink because you keep snarfing too quickly..." Hayoung mutters.

"YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU PUNK!"

"SHH! You three are SO annoying sometimes..." Eunji snaps. "I don't know how Chorong-unnie can deal with y'all..."

Chorong, having been walking behind everyone, is grinning but at the same time is trying hard to not eek a sound.

"Say... I think that the three of you need to come with me to work from now on. At least it can keep you guys busy..."

"Aww..." Hayoung groans.

"But what about my oppa?" Bomi moans.

"Who cares about your oppa, unnie! I get to embrace the fashion! Oh, this is going to be SWEET!" Namjoo pipes.

Meanwhile, Chorong is dying behind everyone, wiping her eyes incessantly. Eunji catches notice of this and gives a smirk.

"What's so funny, unnie?" Hayoung asks.

"Nothing. Well, maybe it's you three being stupid at the same time." This makes Chorong squirm onto the ground and she's on her knees. She wants to clap, but out of fear of being seen, she can only wave her hands frantically. And still, no one turns around.

"LIES!"

"YEAH! THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

"Whaddya mean 'fair'?! This isn't some novel discovery, it's just a fact I've noticed about you three, so no, it ain't lies. Now come on! Let's just go home. I'm so done..." Eunji sighs as she rolls her eyes.

"UNNIE!" Hayoung yelps. No response. "UNNIE!"

But Eunji's already walking forward grinning from ear to ear. The only thing in her head is Chorong dying. Because she was the only one to see it all. And all the while, Chorong barely has enough strength to trudge on ahead, still wiping all the tears away. No one suspects a thing.

-

Back at the apartment, with Bomi, Namjoo, and Hayoung asleep, Eunji sneaks into the office. She finds that Chorong is awake, sitting on the couch. As soon as the two make eye contact, the two start grinning like little kids. As Eunji shuts the door, the two erupt with laughter.

"I saw you... I was trying so hard not to... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

"You're so bad! I was crying so hard..."

"You th-think they'll hear us idiots here laughing?"

"I hope not... y-you said, 'you three being stu-'" but Chorong can't finish as she buries her face in a pillow. Eunji quickly points at her, yelling, "YOU STINK!" before bursting into laughter again.

"At least... they didn't see me... they were probably too dumb to realize it!"

From that point on, there's nothing but laughter in the office for a good while. And not a single knock on the door.

-

The following morning, Chorong heads out of the office to find the others still asleep. Eunji had snuck back to her room after they were out of energy from laughing for a good two hours. She knocks on the door to Eunji's room to see if she's awake, and on opening the door, she finds Eunji sleeping in the strangest position she's ever seen. Immediately, she crumbles to the floor, covering her face in an effort to muffle any sound.

By sheer coincidence, Eunji moves and stretches her arms, letting out a long yawn. As she raises her head, she catches sight of Chorong all crumpled up on the floor. "Oh, boy... you saw, didn't you." Chorong promptly frees her hands to point at Eunji, her legs flailing in the air. Eunji can only smile and shake her head. "We're all stupid, aren't we?"

-

As they all have their share of breakfast, it became customary for the television to be on as they could digest the morning news. As they continue this routine on this day, however, they're greeted with a not so good headline.

Police receives mysterious tape

"Huh?"

"The police now believe that the two incidents at the Cinema Center and Busan Tower are now directly related in addition to the disappearances on the 19th this month. In addition, the police has decided to release an edited version of a tape that was received late last night. Viewer discretion is advised."

Soon, the screen switches to a silhouette behind a dimly lit desk.

"Greetings to the citizens of Busan. Do as we say or we can easily level your city. Your way of life will come into conflict with ours if you do not meet our demands. You have seen what kind of power we are capable of inflicting. All that you know and love will be destroyed. As prejudiced members of your future, we demand your world in return for your cooperation. We are genetically superior. We are better. Surrender now. Your military and whatever is thrown our way will be met with our iron fist. As a demonstration, we will be making our mark on the city at precisely fourteen-hundred hours. We will need quite an audience to release the people we stole. You have been warned... fufufufufufufufufu..."

The screen fades to black, with only "KHAN" visible in the middle of the screen.

Everyone can only stare at each other. Eunji breaks the ice after a few seconds.

"What did he mean... 'prejudiced members'?"

"PFF..." Namjoo sputters, rolling her eyes.

"...was it something I said?"

"No. Namjoo just gets it. 'Prejudiced' isn't exactly the right word here," Bomi says.

"Here's the thing you have to understand, Eunji-unnie. Centuries before we were born, scientists had effectively perfected genetic coding," Hayoung says. "However, during that process, some subjects exhibited mutations that in reality made them superior to normal humans. However, one dangerous side effect of the mutations were that their egos went haywire from their perceived superiority. What happened is that the conflict where humans and these mutant superhumans clashed became known as the Eugenics Wars, where humans barely triumphed."

"Wow... this is like straight out of a sci-fi movie..." Eunji mutters.

"I know. It sounds crazy. I still can't believe our own history," Namjoo says.

"You see, Eunji, when scientists realized their folly, they had to tone down their own work, resulting in humans of our time. However, with the mutant superhumans effectively banished from society, they began to raise their own in secrecy while waging guerilla warfare against humanity. This is where Khan came to be."

"So what he just said. On TV. As you're telling me. He's just lying."

"Not entirely. On their power, no. What we have seen is somewhat unprecedented, but not beyond our reach. But on him being prejudiced, yes. It's not like help wasn't offered. We absoutely did. But he turned it down every time. Their hubris and hatred simply cloud their judgement. Whatever humanity could possibly be left amongst them is gone after all these years. What led humanity to win the Eugenics Wars was, effectively, just that. Our humanity. We could embrace our flaws. They couldn't. I know it sounds cheesy, but that's just how it was."

"I see..." Eunji sighs.

"Well, we need to figure out where Khan is going to be and meet them there. There's no telling what they plan on unleashing," Chorong announces.

"If he needs an audience, it's either City Hall or the Convention Center."

"We can't afford to split up. It's one or the other. You decide, Eunji."

-

Where will they decide to go? What will Khan unleash? Will the police become involved? Find out next chapter!

-

A/N: Honestly, I was dying laughing writing much of the fluff in the first half. If only there were moments like this in real life. Oh, and yea, I had to make it so that EunRong laughed for over one hour. Y.O. are such scrubs... Also, good on you if you managed to catch what Khan is a reference to, especially that I've now laid out their backstory.
Hope y'all have enjoyed reading!