--7--

Eyes on Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

Silent whimpers were heard in the stormy night. Harsh patters of the rain beating against the glass wall only heighten her nightmare. She flinch as a sudden flash of lights from the lightning slash the dark stormy night.

SooHwa found herself unable to sleep as usual. Sitting by the counter, stirring herself a cup of hot chamomile tea with shaky hand. She sighed. She's used to have Sister Kim to make her a warm tea or just lulling her back to sleep each time there's a thunder or rain at night.

It was weird to admit but they really completes each other; she and Baekhyun. But at how easy she could be comfortable around him scares her so much.

How much things would change when he knows ? When he could finally see again ? Would he still want her ? Would he recognize her ?

These thoughts swirling her mind like a dark abyss. Overlooking at her. Just waiting for her to fall down deep within.

But her life here hasn't been that bad afterall. Being able to see with her own eyes how fragile and insecure Baekhyun had become only fuel her need to be even stronger. She remembers the day they went out for their short drive.

The three of them found themselves sitting comfortably in one of his car with Jae behind the wheel. The Byun sat in silent at the back.

Baekhyun hadn't let go of her hand the whole time as he just close his eyes. His head resting on the head rest. But his thumb is rubbing circles on her the skin it rests on. The nerves in SooHwa is slowly calming down.

"Where are we going Baekhyun ?" She ask timidly. The rubbing stop prematurely before continuing again.

"I need a breather. We both need it." She turns to look at him. "Especially after what happened earlier." She drop her gaze on her lap again.

Immensely uncomfortable with the reminder of what had happened today. SooHwa picks on the sleeves of her hood. "I'm sorry."

"Are you really ?" He hummed softly.

SooHwa turns to look at him. Her knees pressing on the side of his thigh. "I really am sorry." She sighed softly. "I'm sorry I got hurt and I didn't take care of myself. I'm sorry I break my promise."

Baekhyun sighed. He taps gently on her thigh. "I'm not mad at you sweetheart." His hands trails her outer thigh.

"Then what are you mad about ?" She ask almost breathlessly. Aware of the hand on her thigh but she can't find it in her to slap it away.

He hummed. Before grunting lowly to himself. "I am more mad at myself than on you." SooHwa was definitely not expecting it when he lift her slightly onto his laps. A gasp escape her lips as her hand rest on his shoulder to hold herself up.

"But Jae is..." A soft whirl of machine and she look to a partition window glide up in place. Providing privacy from the eyes of their driver. "You really have a thing with me on top of you in your car huh ?"

Baekhyun chuckles lowly. "Ohh you never know sweetheart."

He rest his hands on her hip, holding her on his lap securely. "I failed you." Baekhyun whispers. SooHwa can't get enough of looking at him up close. He look ethereal, serene but his eyes holds a turmoil she can't explain with words.

Her unstilled heart isn't making things easier for her. Heat from his body seeps through her skin. Baekhyun was warm, a contrast to the blasting aircond.

Her grip on his shoulder tighten slightly. "Don't beat yourself Baekhyun. Its not your fault, it was never your fault."

Baekhyun sighs. "It is. I can't protect you." His hand trails her exposed knees. Touching the bandaid carefully with the tip of his fingers. "This happened because I let you go." He look to the side. Letting the girl study his side profile.

The edge of his hair line, the curve of his ear to the end of his jawline. Her fingers itch to touch the crisp line of it. "But I was the one who wanted to go."

"And I can't not let you go, but I can't protect you either." He sighed deeply. Like there's something really heavy on his mind. "I know its wrong to keep you locked in the house but sweetheart, you are safe in the house." His grip on her waist tightens as if hugging her close to him.

"You are safe in the house where I can protect you. I am strong in spaces I am familiar with." Baekhyun pulls her closer to bury his face in her shoulder. "I am weak" when it comes to you.

Her heart stilled at his mumbling. The Baekhyun that is holding her right now is fragile, insecure, fearful. Just like how Mrs. Tae had said to her about him. And she wants nothing more that to strip this side of him away from him.

"No, Baekhyun." SooHwa takes his face in her hand. "You are not weak. You are strong. Special." She look at him straight in his eyes. Eyes that is glazed but she would ever gets tired of looking into it.

The eyes displays the emotion he felt within. Guilt. Insecurities. Vulnerabilities.

It is an honour to be able to gaze at them up close like this. "I don't need you to take care of me. If I get hurt and scars, it wasn't because of your inabilities to protect me. It is because I let myself be fragile. It will never be your fault."

"But you were hurt and there's nothing I can do about it."

She brings her fingers to go through the back of his tresses. Bringing him closer to her. "Its just scratches Baekhyun."

He groans to himself as if imagining the worse kind of scratch on her skin. "That's the problem with you. Always thinking about others and not about yourself. What is you got hurt and not just scratches anymore ? What if you left me ? What if-"

She shuhhss him softly. Pressing the tip of her fingers on his scalp. "There won't be another next time. I promise."

"What if you break your promise again ?" He mumbles softly.

SooHwa couldn't stop the soft chuckls from escaping her lips. "You are so insecure that its cute." He groans into her shoulder.

She likes this. It feels as if Baekhyun is showing her how vulnerable he actually is. They never really had the time to talk about things. They were too slow in things like this. He said it himself, every relationship starts from zero.

"I w

Please log in to read the full chapter