--2--

Eyes on Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

“No. Please. Mommy no ! Don’t leave me ! Don’t go. Daddy please. NO !”

She jerks awake from her dreams drenched in sweats and tears. The darkness of the night seeping through her curtain. The harsh beating of the rain outside is even heard in the dark night.

 

Suddenly, the door to her room creaked open. An elderly nun rushed towards her. “Ohh child, is it the nightmare again ?”

 

She cradled her head in her chest. Comforting her as she starts sobbing again. It has been awhile since she last had the nightmares, but ever since she saved the blind guy from the platform it had been coming back at her. As if chasing her, tumbling her away with guilt.

 

The late 50’s nun is the one who had taken care if her as if she was her own. She was young when her parents died in the car accident, she was left at the regular orphanage. She hadn't had nightmare for a while now, but still the accident left a deep trauma in her life.

 

"shhh... it's okay child, it's okay." the nun hushed her softly. Rocking her back and forth as she craddles her softly in her old arms. She rubs comforting pats on her back and softly she hums a lullaby songs.

 

When her sobs dies down, she lowered her on the bed softly. "my poor child." She smoothened out her sweat clinged hair off her forehead. "things had been so hard on you. Its okay, I am sure the ending would be much sweeter for you have such a pure heart."

 

They let the pitter patter of the rain brings in the sound in their presence. No words were exchanged any more. The older lady get under the duvet next to her as she rest her back on the headboard. It was a fairly small bed yet still, she finds the cramp herself closer even more comforting.

 

She had always been scared of rains and thunder. Each time her nightmare would visit her, it would always be a night with such weather.

 

The girl hide her face on the side of her thigh, arms wrapping around the old lady like usual. Wet tears still won't stop flowing even as she hold back her sobs.

 

When she wakes up the next morning, fresh dew of the morning breeze is calm and inviting. As if the thunder last night is chased far away from her.

 

——————-

 

"why do you think they are here ?"

 

"I think they wanted to meet someone. Do you know who ?"

 

Whispers and silent question were heard along the hallway. She had dress up in her casual attire for the day, blause and slack pant.

 

"what's going on ?" she asked as soon as she reach the group of teacher. As if excited to share the unknown news with her, she was dragged closer into the circle.

 

One of the teacher whispers softly "I heard there's some rich businessman here. Wanting to met someone or something."

 

"really ? Who ?" she asked back. Eager to know as well.

 

"We don't know who." they answer her back easily.

Soo Hwa smiles softly. “Lets just get back to work." Not liking to linger around in circle trying to make sense of something.

 

Just as she dismissed the group, someone suddenly called out her name. "Teacher Han !"

 

One of the older child there came running towards her. Panting slightly when he reach where she is standing. "Seonsaengnim !"

 

Her eyebrows naturally furrow at the sudden appearance, "What is it ? Why are you running ?'

 

He had he palms on his knees as he look up at her. He swallows to wet his throat before explaining to her, "Sister Kim called you to her office now."

 

Puzzled at the early call, she question back "Why ?"

 

The boy stand as he heaves a big breath, now calming down from his run. Trying to calm his beating erratic heart. “Don't know. She didn't say why but you should probably hurry."

 

Soo Hwa understand as she starts making way towards the office. Her brain making up possible scenarios but she just can't think of anything that could make any sense.

 

A gentle knock to announce the person behind the door of her arrival before she push the door open. It was a cozy small office for the orphanage. This is where they would adjourne meeting and even with parents or sponsor.

 

She was greeted with the familiar brown, cozy but dusty interior. The three panes window brings natural sunlight to the room from behind the big oak table. Closer to the door theres a small coffee table surrounded by old but cozy leather sofa sit green indoor plant at each side.

She bow down as she caught eyes with the elder nun. Backfacing her is another two males in the three seaters sofa.

One of the male had turn arund to look at her as well, while the other is still staring ahead of him. She also greats him softly which he returns with a friendly smile that looks so sincere.

 

She conjures her own smile for him. Liking the attitude and friendly vibes he gave off.

 

"Ms Han Soo Hwa ?" the guy ask politely.

She nods as she walk closer towards the cluster.

 

She could finally see the two male before her. One were dressed impeccable in black suits with white button up underneath. The broad shoulder hungs on his shoulder crisp and when he stand to greet her with his hand outhold, he gave out an intimidating look. With his height towering over her as if he would be there to judge even her slightest mismatched of sock or something.

 

"I'm Jae." he instroduce himself curtly. She accepted his hand professionally while she introduce herself to him.

 

"Sit child." The elder nun cut their staring short, patting the spot right next to her gently.

 

Although one of them wears a formal attire, the other guy however is dress in grey hoodie with brown long coat. Still unmoving from his spot.

 

As they both settle back in their seats, Jae introduce the person right next to him. He’s exactly how she remembers, the brown lock just messily brushed, black shades resting on his button nose with smooth baby like skin. She hasn't capture his eyes yet as he stares right ahead. As if he is looking right at her but he's actually not.

 

Because he is still blind.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter