Opportunity and Plans

Rush v2

 

 

Sehun isn’t sure whether or not it’s a coincidence or not, but he begins to see Kai or D.O everywhere he goes. School, stores, cafes he likes to go to. It doesn’t bother him much since he first thought it was accidental, since he sometimes hangs out in shady places, of course, a gang would be there. He thought Baekhyun was ting with him when he said they’d follow him. But then he saw them EVERYWHERE. In front of his home, at his school. He sees them so much, he finds himself getting more paranoid.

 

“I don’t retract my comment about your boss being hot,” Sehun says as he fiddles with the straw of his tea. They had come here when his friend notices his growing nervousness. “But he’s freaking me the out.”

Baekhyun sits in the booth opposite him and sips on coffee. "If it's because he beat the snot out of you, it wasn't personal. How's your eye, by the way?"

 

"It doesn't hurt anymore but it looks like ."

 

"It's healing."

 

“Whatever. your boss, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles, shaking his head and looks out the window, at the black van idling out front. Sehun looks as well and scoffs when he notices Chanyeol in the passenger seat. When Baekhyun giggles and waves, Sehun rolls his eyes. “Honestly, what’s a guy like Chanyeol doing in a gang? He’s like a giant teddy bear.”

 

“He’s one of our best shooters. He mainly specializes with sniper rifles.”

 

Sehun looks back at Chanyeol and huffs. "Damn."

 

"Actually, he shot Kai and nearly killed him."

 

"Um," Sehun laughs nervously, glancing at the waitress who looks shocked. “Baek…”

 

Baekhyun leans back and shrugs. “We don’t give two s if we’re heard,” He glances up at the waitress. “She knows if she says anything, she’d die.” The woman widens her eyes and gasps before hurrying over to the other tables.

 

“Baekhyun, what the ?”

 

"I'm in a gang, Sehun."

 

"You never acted like that before-"

 

“That’s because before, you didn’t know about EXO. Now that you do, I don’t have to hide it anymore, K?” Baekhyun takes a sip of his beverage before going on. “Anyway, Chanyeol was born into gang wars. His father...is actually the boss of a different group; the biggest one in the whole city at the time.”

 

“What happened?” Sehun asks, honestly curious now.

 

“Well,” His friend begins as he readjusts himself. “When Chanyeol and Kai were about fifteen, 

They both clashed heads, being apart of two different gangs. Kai’s father was the boss of the opposing one. During one of the gang’s shoot-offs, Chanyeol shot Kai. He said he felt so horrible when Kai’s father saw him and just…” He pauses. “His father thought he died, so it was as if he didn’t care anymore. Any hope he had died with his son, so he started to shoot like his life was already forfeit. I guess he wanted to take as many lives as possible before he died.”

 

“His dad hotshot?”

 

“Yeah but not just once. Chanyeol had to watch as he was shot down by so many guns in rapid succession. Blood was...everywhere. Kai woke up in the hospital with Chanyeol.”

 

"They became friends?" Sehun asks. "Just like that?"

 

Baekhyun just shrugs. “Chanyeol felt responsible, almost like he’s the one that killed Kai’s dad. After his dad died, he had no one left...that’s why he’s so devoted to us.” 

 

Sehun scowls. “So, wait, Kai became the leader? After his dad? He inherited the gang?”

 

Baekhyun nods. "When his dad died, the other gang members all left and joined the winning team. All except...D.O."

 

“D.O?”

 

“He was born into gangs as well, into the original gang. Even though D.O’s father died, he stayed loyal to him. And he became loyal to Kai.”

 

“And he’s still loyal…”

 

"Of course. We're all loyal."

 

Sehun looks out, swallowing hard when he catches the eye of Kai in the driver's seat. He stares at the serious-looking leader for a few moments but backing down from the stare. He finally just sighs and rubs his eye. “I don't see why,” He whispers but Baekhyun doesn’t seem to hear it, or he ignores it.  “Um,” he sits up when he sees Chanyeol and Kai suddenly begin to get out of the car and start to walk across the street, towards them. “Should uh...they be coming over?”

 

He frowns when Baekhyun remains silent as he drinks his coffee. “Baekhyun, what the hell is going on?!” He watches as Kai and Chanyeol head into the cafe and head for the booth. Anger suddenly replaces any fear he may have. “Oh, good to see you again! I was just asking Baekhyun your plans for world domination, like the good -boy spy I am,” He mocks.

 

Kai crosses his arms. “Move over, kid.”

 

“What?”

 

“Move, so I can sit.”

 

Sehun scoffs. “How about you?”

 

“Sehun,” Baekhyun says firmly, giving him a stern look. His friend shakes his head and scoots as far as he can, letting Kai slide in beside him; not getting too close. Sehun keeps his gaze to the window, feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

 

“Sehun, how’s your eye?” Chanyeol asks. “It looks like it’s healing nicely.”

 

“Oh, it feels REAL good, thanks,” Sehun responds sarcastically. “Couldn’t tell dad a gang leader thought I was a spy and beat the out of me. So instead, I tell him I got into a ing fight and lost; so now my dad thinks I’m a goddamn !” He shouts. “Not much of a change though, huh?!”

 

“Sehun, stop it!” Baekhyun snaps but Kai shakes his head. 

 

“No, let him. It’s fascinating.”

 

“Fascinating?! You think this is fascinating?!” Sehun explodes. “Go to hell, jackass!” He needs to stop. It’s different losing his temper with his dad but this man is dangerous. 

 

“I’m one of the most feared men of this city,” Kai says quietly, almost in a whisper. The waitress slowly brings him a coffee; her legs and arms that tremble verify that. Sehun doesn’t even remember seeing him order anything. “You don’t seem scared.” Of course, Sehun is scared, especially after hearing about how Kai beats people to death. “Which is why I came in,” He watches as Chanyeol takes a quick sip of Kai’s coffee before hanging it back to the leader. “I’m offering you a job.”

 

“You…” Sehun looks at him with surprise. “A job? You want me to join your stupid gang?”

 

“No,” Kai shakes his head. He finally sips his coffee before continuing. “I’m offering to not kill you. And in exchange, you do something for us.”

 

"You've got to be kidding me."

 

Kai pulls something out of his coat, setting it on the table. A gun. “Does it look like I'm kidding?”

 

Sehun widens his eyes, looking over at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They both ignore his stare as they look at the cafe menu. He looks down at the gun when Kai begins to tap a finger on it as if he’s ready to pick it up and use it on someone. “W-what…” He nervously his lips. “What job?”

 

“Nothing too hard,” Kai begins. “All you have to do is sneak into a hotel disguised as a maid and steal some plans.”

 

“Oh, sounds real simple,” He replies sarcastically. 

 

“It is. All you have to go is get dressed as a maid for the hotel, pretend to go clean a certain man’s room, and steal the plans from his suitcase.”

 

"And we'll pay you for it," Chanyeol says. 

 

"I'll even be nice and lend you a gun," Kai says as if it’s a privilege. 

 

“I don’t know how to use-”

 

“I’ll teach you,” Baekhyun cuts it. “You’ll be fine, Sehun. I promise.”

 

Sehun stares at all of them. “You guys planned this out already,” he says in disbelief.

 

Chanyeol sighs. “That’s why we followed you,” he admits.

 

“I’m not stupid,” Kai scoffs. “I knew you weren’t part of a gang after the last punch.”

 

Sehun glares at him. “Then why did you keep punching me?”

 

“Figured you needed to be taught a lesson. That and your face pissed me off.”

 

Sehun doesn’t care if this guy is a damn gang leader. What gives him the right to go around being an . “You piece of !”

 

Baekhyun sighs at his outburst. “Sehun, just accept the damn job.”

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “No.”

 

Kai lets out a sigh before he stands up and grabs his gun. He roughly points the barrel to the side of Sehun’s head, slamming him hard against the window. Baekhyun quickly stands as well now. “Stop it!”

 

“We had an agreement,” Kai points out calmly. “If he didn’t agree, he died!”

 

“But…” Baekhyun looks at Sehun, panic now in his eyes. “Boss, please! He’s just a ing kid!”

 

Sehun hasn’t ever had a gun pointed at him before. He closes his eyes tightly as he begins to sweat nervously. He doesn’t want to do anything for Kai or have anything to do with his group. But he doesn’t want to die. He might not like life all that much but he’s not ready. “

 

“Fine,” He whispers, tears of anger starting to well up in his eyes. “Fine, I’ll...help you.”

 

Kai lowers his gun and sts it back on the table, sliding it over to Sehun. “Good. Now that you accepted,” he says as he slides out from the booth. “The man you’ll be stealing from is the leader of our rival gang,” He looks at Baekhyun. “Bring him to the warehouse tomorrow. I don’t give a if he has school.”

 

“What?!” Sehun gasps. Kai gives him a side glance before leaving the building, Chaneyol following behind like a puppy. They get back in the car and drives off. Sehun slowly slumps back into his seat, staring at the gun now in front of him. Guns were pretty common in their old neighborhood, so he’s seen plenty of them in person. But to be expected to hold and learn how to use one is beyond him. Thanks to his curiosity, he accidentally drove himself into a completely different world; where money and gun speaks volumes and resistance gets you killed. Sehun thinks back on the blood room below their warehouse and shivers. He doesn’t want to imagine what would happen if he ended up back there. Or some other gang’s.



 

Sehun is silent the whole way to the warehouse, unsure what to say. Baekhyun explains to him what not to do as they walk. All of the rules and a little information about the other members. But he was most curious about Kai’s most loyal member; D.O. His best friend informs him that D.O is actually Kai’s right hand and the group’s torturer. Which makes him feel awesome when they step into the warehouse and the first person they see is him. He immediately feels intimidated too. All of the members turn their heads to look at him, staring intently. The fact that so many guns are laying around and hanging around makes him even more nervous; probably around for emergencies or if they're in a hurry. “Are you sure about him, Kai?” D.O asks, keeping his eyes trained on Sehun. “Looks like I could break him in two.”


 

“It doesn’t matter. If he can get the job done, that’s all I give a about, “Kai says he lights up a cigarette. He finally looks up to Sehun after he exhales smoke in his direction. 

 

Sehun scoffs and fans it away from his face. “Disgusting habit.”

 

Kai smirks and stands up. “You still got that gun?”

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “I gave it to Baekhyun. I’m not carrying that damn thing.”

 

Their boss shakes his head as he makes his way over. Without having to be asked, Baekhyun takes the gun out from inside his jacket and hands it over; who, in turn, hands it to Sehun. “Don’t put your hand on the trigger unless you’re going to shoot someone,” Kai begins to explain, leading the two out the double doors and goes around back. They stop at a small, grassy area with several crates set up. Chanyeol is in the middle of setting beat bottles up, stopping when they show up.

 

“I wanted to use live targets but Suho scolded me,” Chanyeol says and Kai chuckles.

 

“Live targets would have been more useful.”

 

“Baekhyun, if Xiumin calls me a barbershop pole one more time, I’m stripping that kid down and hunting him down in the woods like a damn wild deer.”

 

“That’d be quite a sight,” Baekhyun giggles. “But come on, I really like him.”

 

“Enough, you two,” Kai says. “Get into stance, kid,” He orders Sehun, who timidly just raises the gun.  The leader shakes his head. “Bend your elbows.”

 

“Like this?”

 

Rolling his eyes, Kai goes beside Sehun and grips his elbow tightly, forcing it to bend slightly. “Not too straight, not too bent. You might be able to use one hand when you get used to it; but right now, you’ll probably hurt yourself if you try it.”

 

“Yeah, okay…”

 

“Aim, breathe, shoot,” The leader instructs.

 

 Sehun closes his eyes as he does what he says. He waits a moment before pulling the trigger, gasping at the recoil and loud bang. He waves his hand and groans. “Ow, .”

 

“Baekhyun laughs. “Oh god, he’s as bad as I was.”

 

“You’ll improve,” Chanyeol reassures him. He goes behind Sehun and reaches around him, grabbing him by the arms and guiding his aim, KAi steps back and crosses his arms, watching. Sehun is more comfortable with Chanyeol, had been around the guy a lot. He relaxes a bit and nods. “Here, take another shot and I’ll help.”

 

“Don't hit the tree this time,” Baekhyun smirks.

 

Sehun sends him a playful glare before following their instructions again; aim, breathe, fire. The recoil isn’t as bad as before with Chanyeol’s grip supporting him. But the noise does still make him jump a bit. He clicks his tongue when he misses another bottle.  “It’s alright, Sehun,” Chanyeol reassures him. “Try again.” He lifts Sehun’s arms for him a bit, helping him hold steady. After taking a deep breath, Sehun his lips and closes an eye, pulling the trigger. He gasps when the sound of glass breaking fills the air.

 

“I did it!”

 

“Wow,” Baekhyun huffs. “I thought it’d take you a lot longer than that.”

 

“Oh thanks,” Sehun thanks him sarcastically.

 

Chanyeol lets go of him and joins Kai against the wall. “Try it on your own this time, oaky? Keep your elbows bent.”

 

Two more shots go off and he misses. “Again!” Kai barks orders. “Shoot all six bottles.”

 

“What, really? All of them?”

 

“If you shoot, you don’t miss,” The leader says roughly. “When you’re through with all bottles, get Chanyeol to put up new ones. I don’t want you to stop practicing until you’ve shot all six perfect. No. Missing.”

 

Sehun scoffs in disbelief. “What?! I’ll be here all night!”

 

“If that’s what it takes,” Kai shrugs. “I have a friend to entertain. Keep practicing.” Sehun watches Kai walk off, heading back into the warehouse before turning to Baekhyun.

 

“He’s torturing someone,” Baekhyun replies for him. “LEt’s get back to your lesson. “The casual tone of his friend’s voice scared Sehun.



He swallows hard and slowly sets the gun on a nearby table before making his way down. With careful movement, the wood beneath him creaking with each step. He stops and stares down at the dimly lighted area. After a few more screams, Sehun finally forces his legs to go forward. Stopping a couple of times when more screams erupt. He stops a few feet in the hall, stopping in front of a large security fence. He covers his mouth and he feels as all of his lunch is about to come back out. Kai stands beside a man, wiping off a bloody knife with a rag. 

 

The man tied to the char groans as his head rolls back, flicking his eyes open to look at Sehun. 

 

“Oh...oh my god,” Sehun chokes out.

 

Kai glances over at him and narrows his eyes. The man stares at Sehun and smirks. “You trainin’...kids now?” He says groggily. “Just like your dad, uh? Makin’ you slice up all them grown men, cuttin’ off fingers one by one, every day.” Kai just stands there, unphased by this man’s rambling. “Is that what happened with your mama, boy? Did your daddy slice her up like-” The man suddenly gargles out his last words as Kai comes up behind him, swiftly and aggressively slitting his throat. 

 

Sehun screams, watching in horror as blood spills from his gash, revealing everything inside. He covers his mouth again as he begins to cry, shutting his eyes tightly to shield himself. Never in his life had he ever seen something so horrific. He’s never seen someone show such little remorse, so little hesitation to end someone else’s life. When he glances back at the man, his stomach gives up. He turns to the wall and tries to push everything down. But with one violet contraction, the contents of Sehun’s stomach emerges on the stone floor. He wipes his mouth, acidic residue forming a shiny patch on his sweater sleeve, and falls to his knees. 

 

Sehun breathes heavily, hearing a gate open and close behind him. The sound of a lock engages and KAi walks up behind him, letting out a sigh. “Weak stomach.”

 

“Shut up,” Sehun groans, using the wall to help himself stand. He looks at the mess he made and takes a deep breath .”I-”

 

“Forget it. Someone will clean it up, as well as the blood,” Kai shrugs it off. “Come on.”

 

“D-do you um...have any water?”

 

Kai glances back at him but remains silent. He leads Sehun up the stairs and to the far right of the couch, to a wooden table. Eight chairs surround it, the top littered with guns, rope, maps, and other mischevious things. All of the members have seated around as if waiting for them. Kai reaches into a cooler under the table, handing Sehun a cold water bottle. “Alright,” He says, taking a blue piece of paper D.O hands him. He lays it over the map and grabs Sehun’s arm tightly, pulling him toward the table. “This hotel is new and it was purchased by the opposing leader, Chanyeol’s father.”

 

“Chanyeol’s father?” Sehun asks after taking a long gulp of water. “You’re...fighting your own father?”

 

Chanyeol crosses his arms and remains silent. “All you had to do,” Kai says as he hands Sehun another gun, “Is sneak in and pretend to be one of their maids.”

 

“King’s second hand is very selective in who he lets clean his room,” D.O continues for him.

 

“King?” Sehun scoffs at the name. “Who does he think he is? Elvis?”

 

“Luckily,” Kai says, ignoring his comment. “You’re thing, young, pretty, and naive.”

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “I’m not naive.”

 

“Fine, naive looking then. The point is, he likes pretty people; not tough, roughed up people.”

 

“Like us!” Xiumin says happily. 

 

Chen scoffs. “No offense but you don’t look rough or tough, Min.”

 

“Then send HIM in,” Sehun says.

 

“No, he knows Xiumin is one of ours,” D.O answers before leaning over and picking up one of the bags. He sets it down on the table and motions to it. “That’s the uniform you’ll have to wear.”

 

Sehun steps forward and s it, pulling out a tight, white button-up shirt. “This...is really tight! You expect me to fit?!”

 

“You will,” Kai responds firmly. Hee pulls the bag closer and stuffs a gun inside, zipping it back up. “When you get to the hotel, sneak around the back and change into one of the bathrooms,” Kai motions toward Baekhyun, who lifts his pant leg and takes off the gun holster around his leg. He gets up and goes over to Sehun, kneeling beside him. Sehun watches as it’s wrapped around his leg and buckles it in place. “You can’t hide it right now,” Kai continues. "But with the uniform,  we altered the pant leg to give you more room.

 

“I can hide a gun with it?” Sehun asks.

 

“A small one, like a pistol,” Baekhyun explains. “I always have my holster around my waist, which is why I’m always wearing a jacket or large sweaters.”

 

“Always? Even at school?”

 

"Always."

 

"All of you always have guns?" Sehun asks and they all nod.

 

“Kai, D.O, and I carry two, though,” Baekhyun says.

 

"Actually, Kai carries three," D.O puts in.

 

"Who needs three guns?" Sehun scoffs

 

"The leader of a gang does," Kai replies and looks at the clock. "You'll stay here tonight, on the couch."

 

“No, I'm not comfortable here! I want to go home!” Sehun demands.

 

“No,” Kai says. “You’ll stay here, all safe and not ing up. Suho and the others will look over you.”

 

“I don’t need-”

 

“Get him a pillow and a blanket or don’t, I don’t care.” Kai interrupts. Without another word, Kai motions for Chanyeol and Baekhyun to follow him before heading out the door. Sehun groans as he falls back on the leather couch, looking defeated.

 

“Oh, come on. Don’t look so disappointed,” Junmyeon sighs. “After this mission, Kai won’t bother you anymore.”

 

Sehun Slowly nods. “Yeah, but I’ll...remember this a-and…” he stares down at his hands, remembering the way Kai violently cut that man. He shuts his eyes and swallows hard.

 

“Sehun…” Junmyeon says softly, slowly putting a hand on his back and sitting beside him. He sets a pillow and blanket down that Sehun doesn’t remember seeing him grab. “I uh...didn’t want us to exactly bond this way. I wanted to keep you separated from this, you know?” When Sehun shivers, his step-brother grabs the blanket and cloaks it over the boy’s shoulders. “You should be out with friends or, I don’t know, a nice girl.”

 

“Oh,” Sehun mumbles, hugging the surprisingly soft, clean blanket. He furrows his brows when it smells a bit like Kai. “I-I’m not…”

 

Junmyeon looks at him in confusion for a moment before, clearing his throat. “Oh, you’re…”

 

“Gay,” Sehun finishes. “Does that piss you off?”

 

His brother smiles and shakes his head. “No, not at all. I don’t mind but does your...father know?”

 

Sehun swallows hard and looks back down at his hands. He slowly nods and lifts his sleeves up to reveal the handcuff scars on each of his wrists. Junmyeon lets out a shaky sigh. “Oh.”

 

“Yeah, he...didn’t take it well.”

 

“What...did he do?”

 

Sehun takes a deep breath. “Three years ago, he sent me to a camp where I  could...get better,” He uses air quotes. When his step-brother furrows his brows in confusion, he goes on. “Conversion therapy.”

Junmyeon groans and rubs his face. “…”

 

“These scars are from the handcuffs. I struggled a lot...more than the other boys did.”

 

“Sehun…”

 

“I…” He shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath. “My mother and brother came to pick me up a year later. T-they didn't make it,” He lifts his knees up to his chest. “I was just supposed to take the bus back... but I begged her to pick me up.”

 

“Your father...is human trash,” Junmyeon says bluntly. Sehun opens his eyes, looking at him. He smiles tightly and sighs, rubbing his brother’s cheek before standing up. “Get some sleep, please,” He motions to the couch. “You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.” His brother turns to leave but stops. He turns back and clears his throat. “Sehun, maybe we can uh..”

 

Sehun lays on his side, resting his head on the pillow. “Hmm?”

 

“Maybe once this is all done, we could go see a movie,” He smiles. “I’ll let you order anything you want- no matter how expensive.”

 

Sehun smiles as well, thankful for the gentleness of his step-brother. “I’d like that…”

 

“Good night, Sehun,” Junmyeon says, leaving him alone on the couch. Sehun watches after him before sighing and flipping onto his back. He closes his eyes, knowing he won’t get an ounce of sleep tonight.

----------------------

Poor little babe Sehun T_T