Amber

Rush v2

 

 

Upstairs, Kai had turned a small area, which used to be a large office, into a bedroom of sorts. A wooden bed with black blankets is pushed horizontally against the far wall with a chest at the end of it; a gun laying on it, as well on his right nightstand. If someone looks close enough, they’d find two more guns hanging up behind two white curtains, hanging above and behind the bed. The whole room is relatively empty aside from that bed, chest, a dresser, and two nightstands, it’s relatively empty. Someone had built a bathroom as well, the door leading to it off to the side.

 

As Kai sits on a legless futon couch nearby, Sehun makes his bed for him. Junmyeon was busy right now, so he offered to help the wounded leader. “You don’t have to do that, my shoulder’s fine,” Kai speaks up. Sehun ignores him and continues to work, fixing the pillows. Which, surprise, has another pistol hidden under it. “Suho’s just being dramatic; let me do it.”

 

Sehun sighs. “Your wound is healed?” He asks, finally looking at Kai.

 

The leader shrugs. “Of course.”

 

"It doesn't hurt?"

 

"No."

 

"Not at all?"

 

"Nope."

 

“Alright,” Sehun scoffs. He stands upright and looks around for a moment, pursing his lips. He takes Kai’s ty old radio and lifts it up. “Then, catch this,” Without warning, he tosses it at the man. When Kai does catch it, he instantly yelps with pain and grabs his shoulder, letting the stero fall. “I rest my damn case.” Sehun goes over, grabbing the radio and placing it back in its original spot. 

 

Kai rolls onto the futon and glares at him. “There’s better ways of finding out if I’m lying, you head!” Kai groans. “For ’s sake!”

 

“Or,” Sehun begins, continuing to make his bed. “Don’t lie to me.” He looks up when the door is kicked open, a panicked D.O rushing in with his gun drawn. 

 

“Boss, are you okay?! I heard you yell!”

 

“He’s fine,” Sehun laughs.

 

“He’s tormenting me,” Kai grumbles.

 

"No, you're just being stubborn."

 

“Oh,” D.O sighs as he lowers his weapon. “I see you two are getting along…”

 

"He's sadistic!"

 

“That’s true,” Sehun shrugs. When the last pillow is neatly set on the bed, he takes a step back. “Your bed is made, your highness,” He jokes.

 

“I don’t get you,” Kai sighs before getting up from his couch and sitting on his bed. “You either hate me, really dislike me, or kind of like me.”

 

Sehun glances at the nightstand and clicks his tongue, now starting to clean it. “It’s a mystery for me too,” He huffs. “And why do you have to be shirtless all the damn time? It’s really distracting.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Kai smirks as he sits up, his back resting against the pillows. “See something you like, new blood?”

 

Sehun blushes and glances down at him. “Someone ugly like you? No way.”

 

“I’ll leave you lovebirds alone,” D.O mutters before turning and heading back out.

 

Kai goes quiet for a moment, finally seeming to notice Sehun cleaning. “Why’re you doing that?”

 

“Why else? It’s messy.”

 

“So?”

 

“I hate messes.”

 

“Good thing it’s not your damn room.”

 

“So?” Sehun stops when he sees a familiar book, smiling when he regonzies it. He slowly sits on the bed, touching the cover gently. “Oh,” He chuckles. “I know this one.”

 

"Yeah?"’

 

“My um…” Sehun sets it on his lap. “My mother used to read this to me- it’s my favorite.”

 

"Mine too," Kai says with a smile.

 

“Really?!” When Kai nods, Sehun looks at it fondly. “It’s special to you, then.”

 

“She bought it the same day I was born and she’d read it to me but um…” he shakes his head. “She never finished.”

 

“You didn’t read it yourself?”

 

“I never really had the time,” the boss admits. 

 

“I’m sorry,” Sehun looks down at the book, wondering where it’d been. How many places has it been taken to? He then thinks back to his room, where his own book is and how he should go get it.

 

“You uh….” Kai awkwardly shifts around. “You could always read it to me.”

 

Sehun looks at him quickly and shakes his head. “O-oh, no. That’s...no, it’s okay.”

 

“I don’t have much time for entertainment and it’s your favorite book, right?”

 

Sehun gently rubs the binding of the book and biting his lip. He would probably feel stupid doing it but he realy did like this story. It always reminds him of his mom. He’s careful as he opens it, even if it’s been taken care of well. “Where did she leave off?”

 

“No,” Kai shakes his head. “You can just…start from the beginning.”



 

Sehun takes a deep breath before he throws another knife, the sharp end landing inside the bullseye D.O had set up for him outside the warehouse; His new mentor had seen his interests in knives. “You should be resting,” Sehun speaks up when Kai rounds the corner. He just huffs before leaning against the wall and lights up a cigarette. When the boss glances at the knives in Sehun’s hand, he speaks up. “D.O said if I learn how to throw these, he’ll let me try out his.”

 

“Wait, he really said that?” When Sehun nods, Kai raises a brow. “Damn, I’m surprised. He doesn’t let people touch them,” He motions to the small holster of three throwing knives clipped onto Sehun’s thigh. “He gave you those?”

 

“Yeah, he said they're standard,” he responds. “So, what’re those hotel plans for?

 

Kai takes a long drag and exhales before speaking up. “I guess I can tell you since you’re in, now. We’re planning an assassination.”

 

“Assassination?” Sehun looks over at Kai in confusion. “King?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You...can’t use that plan anymore?”

 

“No,” Kai admits. “His right hand wasn’t supposed to die.”

 

“Look, I’m sorry-”

 

“I’m not blaming you for killing him,” He interupts. “You did what you had to and I respect you for that.”

 

Sehun looks away. “So..what’s the plan?”

 

“Nightclub.”

 

“Nightclub,” Sehun repeats. “You’re going to a club?

 

“Not just me, you’re going too,” The leader says.

 

“I’m seventeen, eighteen in a couple of weeks,” the boy says. “There’s no way in hell I can get in and you’re not ready for any fighting.”

 

“We're not fighting,” Kai exhales. “I can get us in. Our key to this whole operation is…” he stops before dropping his cigarette and stomping on it. “I’ll show you, actually. Get your coat.”

 

Sehun looks at him oddly but he collects his knives and follows the leader into the warehouse. “Are you okay to drive?”

 

“You’re driving.”

 

“Like hell I am!” Sehun scoffs as he pulls on the leather jacket he had gotten when he officially joined. “I know how but I don’t have my driver’s licence.”

 

‘I don’t give a ,” Kai tosses Sehun some keys. “It’s Lay’s car, anyway.”

 

“L-Lay’s car?! I...I can’t drive his car! That’s his baby!”

 

“Yes, you can,” Kai leads the way through a door to the left of the main doors, the one that leads into Lay’s precious garage. They head down very shallow stairs, Sehun trying not to seem so nervous. Their Chinese driver takes his motors very seriously. Hell hath no fury to those who damage his cars. He thinks he might start to sweat when they approach his favorite; A red nissan, which looks and is very expensive. “Cherry Bomb?! We’re riding Cherry Bomb?!”

 

“For god sake, get in and shut the up,” Kai groans as he slides in. 

 

“Lay is going to kill me,” Sehun whispers as he gets into the driver’s seat. “Fine, where to?”

 

“This address,” Kai says, typing something into the GPS. 

 

“Huh,” Sehun starts the car, waiting for the doors to open before putting it in drive. “I lived pretty close there before my dad remarried.” The drive isn’t a long one and is pretty easy, even if it’s in a ty neighborhood. He uses to walk around this area too, so he knows it well. Once parked out in front, Sehun stares at the bar. “A bar…? The key is a bar?”

 

“Nope,” Kai says before getting out. Sehun makes sure their car is locked at least ten times. “It’s the people who live in the apartment above it.”

 

Sehun follows Kai into the bar, surprised that the bouncer just lets him in without an ID. Maybe he shouldn’t be so shocked, considering the leader’s reputation. This tough leader leads the way through a surprisingly clean bar as he greets a couple of people by name. Kai opens a door in the back, leading to a set of stairs. Sehun looks at him oddly when he lets him go first, but he does so. He pauses to let Kai get in front of him and continues to the second floor. Wanting to question the man, he stops himself; remembering how Xiumin gave him the advice to just shut up and follow Boss. But he’s never been a stickler for rules. “Kai, what’re we doing here?“ He whispers as the leader knocks three times on someone’s door. Before Kai can respond, a pretty woman with long, dark brown hair opens the door. She smiles as soon as she sees him.

 

“Kai!”

 

“Krystal,” Kai greets, gently kissing her cheek. “You’re looking gorgeous as ever.”

 

Krystal’s cheeks flush as she gently smacks his arms. “Come on, now,” She laughs before stepping aside to let them in. Sehun looks at Kai in confusion, watching as he quickly disappears down a hall inside. The apartment is quite nice compared to the outside.

 

“Make yourself at home,” The woman says. “You can sit while you wait.” Sehun smiles shyly, nodding as he sits on a cream-coloured couch, directly opposite of the one she sits on. “So, are you Kai’s friend?”

 

“What?” Sehun shakes his head. “N-no, I’m just…”

 

“Oh! You must be a member of EXO, then,” She realizes. “I thought I met them all.”

 

“I’m a new member,” he responds. He looks around as he taps his foot uncomfortably. “You have a nice home.”

 

“Really? Thank you!,” She lets out a sigh of relief. “My partner and I tried hard to make it nice.”

 

“Oh, you have a boyfriend? I thought Kai and you…”

 

“Kai? Boyfriend?” Krystal laughs and shakes her head. “Oh, no, honey. I’m gay and so is Kai.”

 

“Kai’s...gay?” Sehun asks.

 

“Why? You interested?” She grins when Sehun’s face turns red. 

 

“W-what? Don’t be ridiculous!”

 

Sehun looks up when Kai finally walks out, someone in tow. She’s a boyish looking girl with short, blonde hair, petite and seeming to wear a permanent smile. At least, not right now. “What do you mean the hotel didn’t work out?! It took me a whole week to get that info!”

 

“A week? Don’t be dramatic; it took you two days,” Kai scoffs. “That's why we got the nightclub too.”

 

The tomboy sits next to Krystal, while Kai sits beside Sehun. “Who is this? Your boyfriend?”

 

“N-no!” Sehun gasps and looks at his feet.

 

“No, this is my newest member, Sehun,” Kai chuckles.

 

“I’m Amber,” She offers Sehun her hand, who shyly backs away from it.

 

“He’s shy.”

 

“I am not!”

 

“Socially awkward then.”

 

“Kai!”

 

“Anyway,” The leader opens up his wallet and pulls out a couple of hundred bills.

 

“Whoa, whoa!” Amber stops him. “What’re you doin’?”

 

“Paying you, for the nightclub info?” Kai looks at her oddly.

 

“No, we had an arrangement. Remember?” Amber says in annoyance before turning her back to grab something. Sehun smiles a little when Kai sneakily hands Krystal the cash and she quickly pockets it. Amber reveals two USB drives from her nearby bag. One has red tape, while the other is a lot smaller and blue. “In the club, you put the red USB in his laptop.” Kai slowly nods as he listens. “Put this blue one in too. With this, you’ll give me a few minutes and that’ll get you past King’s password and login screen...I know he has some tight security but this’ll handle it.”

 

“Are...those the keys?” Sehun asks and Kai nods.

 

“Sort of,” He says, pocketing them both. “Amber is too.”

 

“Two USB drives and a woman?”

 

“Yup,” Kai gets up, motioning for Sehun to do the same. “You remember where the phone is?”

 

“Yeah, Krystal offered to pick it up.”

 

“That works,” Kai and Sehun head for the door but stops when Amber gets up quickly.

 

“K-Kai, please don’t forget!”

 

Kai smiles at her and nods reassuringly. “I won’t.” 

 

Sehun closes their door for them and makes sure they’re far away enough to speak up. “What was she talking about?”

 

“King kidnapped Amber’s brother and is holding him hostage.”

 

“W-what? How come?”

 

“She’s one of the best hackers of this counter...she’s working for him.”

 

“W-wait?! She’s one of King’s people?! Why are we-”

 

“Calm down,” Kai interrupts as they spill out into the street. “She’s a spy. She works for King, getting info for him but she then turns around and tells us what he’s up to.”

 

“But why?”

 

“We’re planning to locate and rescue her brother.”

 

“Is...she part of EXO?” Sehun asks as they get back into the car.

 

“No, even though I’ve asked her to join,” Kai admits. “But she’s just not the shooting, action type of girl.”

 

“Okay, well what’s at the nightclub? Why there?”

 

“You talk too much.”

 

“Come on, I want to know!”

 

“Alright,” Kai rolls down the window and lights up another cigarette. “We’re going to the club to get info. While I distract some guards, you’re going to locate one of King’s lieutenant’s room and access his laptop. When it’s all loaded up, we leave.”

 

“But why?”

 

“King’s location,” he explains. “It’ll give Amber the right map to decode and give us a location of both where King and her brother are at. Then, we go on a rescue slash assassination trip.”

 

Sehun huffs and rests his head on his free hand; the other on the steering wheel. “Sounds soo fun.”

 

“Should be. You’ll be more experienced by then, so it’ll be fine. And this time,” Kai exhales smoke and puts his feet up on the dash. “Everything will go according to plan.”

 

Sehun honestly and truly hopes so.